Scary dinner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary dinner...

I just had a real bad dinner experience, not that it had anything to do with the food.

We went to a new beach resort place (Mui Ne) 200km north of Saigon; near Phan Thiet. The excitement happened at dinner. My 10 yr old daughter was having steak and started choking on a peice; I mean not being able to breathe at all. I grabbed her, did the Heimlich 5 or 6 times and finally dislodged the steak. It then took me about 24 hrs to calm down; she's fine. Certainly the worst 30 or so seconds of my life.

As an aside; it was pretty difficult to do that to her even though I'm a foot taller and 120 lbs heavier. I could see some real problems trying to do the same thing to someone my size. Anyone ever have to do that on someone big? Did it work?
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Never had to, hope I would have the presence of mind to be able to do so in that kind of situation.

Glad everyone's OK. You may want to have her doc check her out just to make sure all is on the up and up.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Yeah, I'm really glad everyone is fine!

And let's hope everyone stays that way!

Comment

Good work Sino...I am glad you had the presence of mind to react quick!
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
          I just had a real bad dinner experience, not that it had anything to do with the food.

We went to a new beach resort place (Mui Ne) 200km north of Saigon; near Phan Thiet. The excitement happened at dinner. My 10 yr old daughter was having steak and started choking on a peice; I mean not being able to breathe at all. I grabbed her, did the Heimlich 5 or 6 times and finally dislodged the steak. It then took me about 24 hrs to calm down; she's fine. Certainly the worst 30 or so seconds of my life.

As an aside; it was pretty difficult to do that to her even though I'm a foot taller and 120 lbs heavier. I could see some real problems trying to do the same thing to someone my size. Anyone ever have to do that on someone big? Did it work?
          I've done the heimlich four times on adults over the last 24 years, and only once on a child, which was the hardest, because you are even more cautious of hurting them and not going overboard.

With an adult, I never had any qualms about going in there and really stabbing upwaer under their diaphragm!

I'm glad your daughter's okay, and I bet she chews here food a bit more thoroughly from now on!

Comment

Glad to hear your daughters okay Sino Invasion.
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Had to do it to the wife last year. Not sure who had a harder time, her or me. Took a few tries to really work up to popping her hard enough to get it loose. Pretty scary stuff.
              Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it!

Comment

Glad your daughter is okay!

Never had to do the heimlic but also had to have it done on me when I was a kid. I think your daughter will chew carefully from now on. I know I did.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X