Most influential rock/pop artist of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most influential rock/pop artist of all time

Enough with comparing the defunct Elvis to the defunct Beatles. Who's the most influential artist of all?

A radio station in my area ran a top-100 countdown of most influential artists a few years ago. A friend and I were questioning each other as they neared number one, because they had already named some pretty big stars. We couldn't imagine who was left, and we were half expecting to be disappointed with their choice for number one. But when it finally came, we smiled and said, "Of course!" We both agreed that the win was well deserved.

So, who do you think the winner was? And what would your choice be?

(I'll reveal the name I heard on the radio as soon as someone mentions it in this thread -- or just before the thread dies, as the case may be.)
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

The man who stated it all: Chuck Berry! Are we talking about rock artists or just music in general?
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Buddy Holly

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
        Are we talking about rock artists or just music in general?
        Rock basically. IOW, modern pop music, including most anything you'd have heard on an FM rock/pop/singer-songwriter radio station in the last half century or so. But not classical, country, jazz, or anything distinctly different from rock/pop.

(Yeah, I know there are a lot of overlaps. But I don't want anybody naming Mozart or Beethoven.)
        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Tough.

Hank Williams would be a strong candidate. His music resonates through Blues, Country, Folk, Rock and Roll, and even Jazz.

Other than that, The Rolling Stones?
          Last edited by Full Monty; 18 Aug 07, 21:54.
          Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
            Tough.

Hank Williams would be a strong candidate. His music resonates through Blues, Country, Folk, Rock and Roll, and even Jazz.
            Good choice! He truly crossed all barriers of music during those formative years. His deeply felt, internal anguish, crossed all forms of music and to this day, "I'm So Lonesome.." can still bring a tear to my eye.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
              So, who do you think the winner was?
              Michael Jackson, Prince, or Madonna would be my guesses.

(Yeah, I'm a child of the 80s.)
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Trying to come up with a few more possibilities.

David Bowie - http://www.nyrock.com/worldbeat/11_2000/112900.asp

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley - http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast.../marley_b.html

James Brown

Neil Young (I'm wishing )
                Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
                  Michael Jackson, Prince, or Madonna would be my guesses.

(Yeah, I'm a child of the 80s.)
                  All too late
                  "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                  Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

"Other than that, The Rolling Stones?"
                    I think Patrick is looking for one individual, rather than a group?
                    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Robert Johnson: Everyone pays homage to the ultimate Blues Master. Zep, Clapton, Young, The Allmans, Stones.. the list goes on and on.

I agree with Hank Sr. being on the big list I consider him to be the first successful crossover artist.
                      Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                        I think Patrick is looking for one individual, rather than a group?
                        Which would preclude Lennon & McCartney (surely inseparable at their most influential) but include Harrison? I don't know how the poll Patrick refers to was set up but I would think that the term 'artist', especially when referring to music, should include those whose work is 'collective' in nature.
                        Signing out.

Comment

Which would preclude Lennon & McCartney (surely inseparable at their most influential) but include Harrison? I don't know how the poll Patrick refers to was set up but I would think that the term 'artist', especially when referring to music, should include those whose work is 'collective' in nature.
                          I take your point, and Lennon & McCartney were undoubtedly a phenomenal combination (I have heard some say, the greatest song-writing team of the 20th Century, which some might dispute but nevertheless they were a great combo).

I guess I was going on Patrick Carroll's wording, "Who's the most influential artist of all?" - Artist, as in singular.

Maybe my interpretation was too literal? Did I get that wrong, Patrick?

Comment

still , The Beatles.

Comment

I'm thinking Bob Dylan too, but from what Patrick said in his opening statement this is probably wrong.
                              Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X