My Space vs Facebook, vs neither of em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Space vs Facebook, vs neither of em

So in a supreme bored moment today, I signed up at My Space and Facebook (mainly because a couple of friends use it, and asked me to join).

So, there it is, I'm on both.

Appraisal

My Space is better than Facebook, but, neither is in my view all that exciting.

Both have an interface knee deep in busy friggin clutter. They are awful to look at, and come plenty full of garbage that I guess pays the bills so one can get this dubious worth freebie.

I filled out some basic details, but in both cases, my opening comments more or less made it clear I wasn't about to be a regular happy user.

Let's see, FaceBook, I ain't leaving a pic, ruins the point of the thing, so what.

My Space. In the span of half a day I have had two random "friends" ask me to add them. One a dude of questionable origins, another a babe in a bikini that is likely more spam that actual interest. Hey it would be nice if she actually genuinely wanted to know me, but, the fact I also include in my profile I'm a happy married parent, kinda makes me think, nope, spam.

I am wondering if both of these services are really worth my time.
    Anyone else here actually use one or both of these marginal options?
    No I am not going to rush to add you though, so don't ask hehe.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

They are both a complete waste of time. They do nothing productive.

I'm on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      They are both a complete waste of time. They do nothing productive.

I'm on Facebook.
      that was my initial assessment, and why I've signed up to neither of them. Add to that I'm a bit leary of splashing my personal details all over the net. Granted my Details are most likely out there, however Advertising the fact seems to be the height of folly.
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

I'm on Facebook merely because not to have it while at Uni is tantamount to social suicide.
        Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
          So in a supreme bored moment today, I signed up at My Space and Facebook (mainly because a couple of friends use it, and asked me to join).

Appraisal

Both have an interface knee deep in busy friggin clutter. They are awful to look at, and come plenty full of garbage that I guess pays the bills so one can get this dubious worth freebie.

I filled out some basic details, but in both cases, my opening comments more or less made it clear I wasn't about to be a regular happy user.

Let's see, FaceBook, I ain't leaving a pic, ruins the point of the thing, so what.

My Space. In the span of half a day I have had two random "friends" ask me to add them. One a dude of questionable origins, another a babe in a bikini that is likely more spam that actual interest. Hey it would be nice if she actually genuinely wanted to know me, but, the fact I also include in my profile I'm a happy married parent, kinda makes me think, nope, spam.

I use myspace just to keep in track with all my mates from school and I agree with all the crap thats on it but what I fin is scary Spammers get into your account and start sending spam to your friends uncer your name which kinda pi$ses me off one time I logged on and I ended up that someone got into my account and invited all this people from the states to be my friends which really freaked me out so there some problems with the sight I don't like bet the rest i'm fine with

Oh can I get yoru oh I just noticed your lats comment lol
          http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

I noticed this one detail on My Space. I had only just signed up, and already this dude was wanting to be a "friend". I thought, ok that's odd, I don't even have any details up yet, I'm currently just an account name.

Then, later that day, the bikini babe appears, and hmmm she has this same dude on her profile. And I am wondering, did I some how send her that connection?

So you are almost certainly correct about the spam element and "friends" you never asked for.

There's even one spot, where (I think it was My Space) where it actually says you can manage credit card details. God I almost laughed my head off. Ooooooh really, put my credit card details on this flaky web site eh. Not bloody likely.

Things not about to appear on either site. Any picture of me, my family or heck even people I know (and like). None of the above list needs the grief.
            I am aware my niece uses My Space, I'd prefer to tell her not too. I won't wait for a teenager to listen to me

My Space has a bad rep as a ped resource. I am not really surprised I guess.
            Most young people are usually a combination of no experience and foolish assertions they know better hehe.

Really, the best way to be available online, is through an ordinary IM program like Yahoo (I use Yahoo). It's just a message function, it can perform web cam and audio if you need verification. You can share files (if the other person actually wants them). It allows you to dump some details about yourself out there. But, Yahoo doesn't come with a poorly arranged interface knee deep in bloody garbage meant to generate income for the host.

What I didn't care for, was the statement "My Space is an American site, and all content submitted becomes subject to American law" etc etc etc. I am likely sure that that statement would apply to most popular places on the internet to some extent. My own blog is likely on US soil (effectively), but I didn't like having that detail bashed over my head.

I put up some details as I mentioned. Stuff like I'm a wargamer, that I'm in Canada, I'm married, have a child, mundane stuff. Won't be discussing my private life though. Hell, I've had plenty of grief over that behaviour. I have not really used my own blog much this year, simply because I have re thought my feelings on whether it is really worth it. I have a nicely built forum all set to go on a paid for location of a friend of mine. Have yet to open it, simply because I am unsure the aggro of running a private forum is essentially worth the trouble.

I mean, I have Eric's forum here, and like I can improve on what I have here hehe.
            I'm mostly happy to just tell people I know, if you need to locate me, here I is. Got a PM option, or ability to join and chat me up in full public view. At the very least, the interface of the forum allows for email routing to me.

Comment

I have a MySpace account. My partner and I at school put them up. It's another way to keep in contact with the kids and their parents. Most of my kids don't have a computer in the home, but they go to the library or a friends house to check it. We leave each other messages.

Some of the kids have really nasty profiles, songs, and friends, and I try to model what a good profile should be. I won't add them as friends if their page is naughty and that usually gets a few to straighten up. If not, a call to mom is next. They know this, so they either don't ask to be a friend, or they clean up.

Btw, I have a class website too, but it doesn't receive as much interest, from kids or parents.
              Love. Where does it come from?
              from The Thin Red Line

Comment

I'm not a MySpace user but MySpace Music is a great place to discover the newest bands out there and is becoming increasingly influential in today's music, lots of bands got noticed there there before gaining international recognition, like Arctic Monkeys or Lily Allen.
                Last edited by Boonierat; 17 Aug 07, 01:38.

Comment

I don't tend to monitor my son too much, but every now and then I make it clear, he might have a bit more savvy than me in the latest "thing", but I was a teen long before he was born, and that teens haven't really changed in a lot of ways, so he can't reeeeeeeally fool me long

He also knows I am more than willing to just ask his friends what he's is up to, and most of his friends generally get along well with me, so if he's being dumb, I'll know

I've of course given my son the lectures regarding what is and isn't acceptable as internet content where personal details are concerned, and exactly why, without any manner of PC softening like they might use at school.

Comment

My daughter is on MySpace. I hate it . But like Aries said 'I won't wait for a teenager to listen to me' .
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I use both.

MySpace is where I'm keeping contact with some high school classmates, fellow soldiers I served with in the 82nd, some friends I've made locally, and some few that so far seem interesting and that can hold an intelligent conversation. Oh, and some women who are just hot.

I also use the blog there as a means by which I can hopefully someday find my daughter. I write the posts as if I'm talking to her and her only, and it helps me to cope with not having seen her for so long. Since there are a lot of people who use MySpace, I hope someone may notice her from her name and pics I have, and would help us reunite.

I'm new to Facebook, started after having seen what my online friend Veronica Belmont is doing with hers. This is where I'm going to keep purely professional contacts, use as another medium through which to promote my writing, and develop a network of people for that purpose.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmoreno

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=519068781
                      Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolley View Post
                        I have a MySpace account. My partner and I at school put them up. It's another way to keep in contact with the kids and their parents. Most of my kids don't have a computer in the home, but they go to the library or a friends house to check it. We leave each other messages.

Some of the kids have really nasty profiles, songs, and friends, and I try to model what a good profile should be. I won't add them as friends if their page is naughty and that usually gets a few to straighten up. If not, a call to mom is next. They know this, so they either don't ask to be a friend, or they clean up.

Btw, I have a class website too, but it doesn't receive as much interest, from kids or parents.
                        what you think of mine I think this is the site www.myspace.com/Melba_101
                        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post

Appraisal

Here is a little tip for you friend. If you don't know them, don't add them. Especially if they have sent you a message. I had a friend that opened a message from a stranger and it wiped out his account and he had to start all over again.
                          It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

There's this one window in the interface that has a link suggesting "you have 1 new friend". It's clearly just a trick link to get you to the target site, but it's just indicative of the nature of the service over all.

I recently added a picture of myself to My Space and Face book

Comment

No matter how many social networking sites you join, You're still a looser.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X