Tribute to Tony Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to Tony Wilson

Only learned the sad news today, but Tony Wilson, founder of cult indie label Factory Records died last Friday, aged 57

Record label owner, broadcaster, journalist, pop impresario and nightclub founder - Anthony Wilson was famous for many things, but perhaps he was most famous for being a self-styled professional Mancunian.

Tony Wilson was widely regarded as the man who put Manchester on the map for its music and vibrant nightlife. He remained active on the city scene until his death on Friday aged 57.

He was born in Salford's Hope Hospital on 20 February 1950.

He attended De La Salle Christian Brothers' school, before going on to read English at the University of Cambridge in 1968.

In the 1970s he went to work for Granada Television in Manchester, where he fronted programmes including music show So It Goes and current affairs magazine World In Action.

He later went on to be long-time host of the early evening Granada Reports.

Wilson was a founder of Factory Records in the late 1970s, the label behind Joy Division, New Order and The Happy Mondays.
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE - BBC NEWS

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
    Only learned the sad news today, but Tony Wilson, founder of cult indie label Factory Records died last Friday, aged 57
    Sad to hear about his death at such a relatively young age, he was an important part of the Manchester arts and music scene.

But I have an confession, I couldn't stand him as a TV presenter, he came over as such a self important prat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
      Prawn heads
      by Karri
      How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
      Yesterday, 11:40
    • Jose50
      Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
      by Jose50
      Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
      Yesterday, 08:41
    • Von Richter
      Sagittarius Rising...
      by Von Richter
      Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
      Yesterday, 01:19
    Working...
    X