Political Conventions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Conventions

I'm not planning to watch either one of the political conventions this year, after all we already know who's going to be on the ballot come election day. It'll be Kerry/Edwards vs Bush/Cheney, the conventions will just confirm what we already know. It wasn't always like this, in past (way past) conventions you didn't know who the nominee for President would be until the vote was taken at the convention. I remember as a child watching the conventions with my parents, trying to guess who would finally get the nomination of their party. This was a time in which the two strongest candidates would have it out at the convention. Conventions then were fun and suspenseful as the tallies came in. "Mr. Chairman the citizens of the great state of Colorado would like to cast all of their votes for the next President of these United States....." and so it would go until all of the 50 states had cast their votes. Families would gather before their TV's to watch the drama unfold, to see who would be the standard bearer for their party would be. I know that we cannot go back to the past, but, I do miss the conventions of old...they were fun.

sounds like the Eurovision Song Contest.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Is it the "dumbing down" of democracy?

Comment

There's a concept (see Alien vs Predator thread): Convention meets Eurovision!

I'll be watching the Republican Convention from a shady spot on Seventh Ave.
        Even Jesus will never forgive what you do - Bob Dylan

Comment

It's going to be a disaster of the first magnitude for Boston - now looking at
          150+ million in DAMAGE to the local economy
          Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
            I'm not planning to watch either one of the political conventions this year, after all we already know who's going to be on the ballot come election day. It'll be Kerry/Edwards vs Bush/Cheney, the conventions will just confirm what we already know. It wasn't always like this, in past (way past) conventions you didn't know who the nominee for President would be until the vote was taken at the convention. I remember as a child watching the conventions with my parents, trying to guess who would finally get the nomination of their party. This was a time in which the two strongest candidates would have it out at the convention. Conventions then were fun and suspenseful as the tallies came in. "Mr. Chairman the citizens of the great state of Colorado would like to cast all of their votes for the next President of these United States....." and so it would go until all of the 50 states had cast their votes. Families would gather before their TV's to watch the drama unfold, to see who would be the standard bearer for their party would be. I know that we cannot go back to the past, but, I do miss the conventions of old...they were fun.
            The first thing I did when I read this post was click on your avatar to find out when you were born. I've read of such times in history books, but didn't think anyone was left who experienced it.

Yes, today these conventions are more like expensive formalities. I don't pay too much attention to them sense I already know who the candidates will be, and the message they intend to base their campaign on.
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenfresser
              I'll be watching the Republican Convention from a shady spot on Seventh Ave.
              I was trying to get a spot on the grassy knoll, but it seems that the reservations for that, had to be placed three years in advance...
              I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
                I was trying to get a spot on the grassy knoll, but it seems that the reservations for that, had to be placed three years in advance...

And that will go down as the last we heard from Jam before he gets sent to a naval brig and labeled an 'Enemy Combatant'
                "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Yes DP I am one of the "Old Fogeys" on this board (Smiley with walker). I just thought that I would share these memories with those on this board who all they have ever seen was these conventions where they nominate a candidate that we have known about for weeks before the convention, Kinda makes you wonder why they even bother with the convention at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X