Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aliens vs. Predator -- who will win the war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliens vs. Predator -- who will win the war?

There's a war coming on August 13th. Whoever wins, we lose . . .

http://www.avp-movie.com/index.html?...o&size=750x600
    Aliens
    19.05%
    Predator
    47.62%
    Humans
    33.33%
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

Ohhhh, why don't they make a movie entitled IL-2 Sturmovik with Tom Cruise as the pilot and Will Smith as the rear gunner.

Their pool of ideas is dry like that parched, cracked bottom of an ancient lake in New Mexico.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 11 Jul 04, 11:34.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Hollywood, it would seem, is fresh out of fresh ideas. Not only are they recycling old TV shows, but, computer programs as well. I was wondering what was going to come after Tomb Raider.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
        Hollywood, it would seem, is fresh out of fresh ideas. Not only are they recycling old TV shows, but, computer programs as well. I was wondering what was going to come after Tomb Raider.
        Fine novelists haven't stopped writing, have they? There are so many phenomenals books that could be converted into a movie script and presto-you have an Academy Award winning picture.
        Last edited by MonsterZero; 11 Jul 04, 17:14.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start. I don't know what makes these idiots in Hollywood think they are better than proven masters and go mucking about with great stories. I guess its their "vision" and all that other kaka.

Comment

It's Hollywood, so...of course humans are going to win...and probably on some plot technicality. I step in better stories on the Manhattan sidewalks.
            Even Jesus will never forgive what you do - Bob Dylan

Comment

Actually, Aliens vs. Predator was a major hit three times in the PC games category. There was also a highly successful comic book (limited series) and some books.

The second edition of the game was fairly good. It was scary at times and fun to play as both Alien and Predator. The fans have been clamoring for a movie for years, but 20th Century Fox refused. Now they have done it.

Will it be any good? I don't know but the trailer wasn't half bad. This one may be pure sci-fi whatever, but I'll bet it will be fun.
              Editor-in-Chief
              GameSquad.com

Comment

Summer Fun!

Cheesy Sci-fi is great summer fun! If they leave the hollywood hussies back on earth I will probably watch it!
                "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorius is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte.

Michael

Comment

Humans of course, I mean don't they always win the fight in practically every sci-fi horror movie out there.

That said, I am looking forward to this movie though I am somewhat dissapointed that it wouldn't be based on the Dark Horse comic book series that came out over a decade ago.
                  Last edited by Wolfleader; 15 Jul 04, 16:21.
                  -----------------------------------
                  Sings we a song of wolves.
                  Who smells fear and slays the coward.
                  Sings we a song of man.
                  Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog
                    Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start.
                    Have you heard of the CGI cartoon series Roughneck Chronicles, while it's not quite the same as the book, it's still considerably closer to it than the movie ever could be. At the least it featured the Skinnies, the troopers had powered armour that was actually looked like powered armour and not merely a helmet and vest like in the movie.
                    -----------------------------------
                    Sings we a song of wolves.
                    Who smells fear and slays the coward.
                    Sings we a song of man.
                    Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Yeah I have seen some of those and will agree with your assesment. I know nothing of Aliens vs Predators as a game. Soeey mea culpa. Still I could name atleast 150 titles that if they stuck to the pages would be worth a damn. From Poe to King and that is still leaving out tons.

Comment

10 years at least that I wait for this movie!

the comics series were just great (and source of a few roleplaying games in the good ole days...) and the story line in the comics was making sense... (predators using Aliens as rite of passage trials for their youngs... go hunt an Alien and you'll become a "Man"... cool idea)...

can0t wait to see the movie, which will of course be disappointing... but still...
                        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

The CG Cycle Is About to Turn

Originally posted by BigDog
                          Hell with the state of CGI nowdays I could provide about twenty years of stuff right off of my bookshelf. Remaking Starship Troopers the right way would be a great start. I don't know what makes these idiots in Hollywood think they are better than proven masters and go mucking about with great stories. I guess its their "vision" and all that other kaka.
                          I would vote for doing Asimov's "Foundation Series" personally. Doing "Starship Troopers" with any real relevance to the actual novel would be a great start though.

I have enjoyed the various versions of Frank Herbert's "Dune" that are out there though. They all follow the plotline though their artistic interpretations vary.

"Starship Troopers" was just such an embarrassment!

A big problem with computer graphics is that they start looking like something a kid does with a stamp pad kit... ooh.. look an F-18... look I just put two more in... ooh... let's fill the sky with them... stamp stamp stamp... (Independence Day).

Ooh... a scarey bug monster... let's put thousands of them in the scene... stamp stamp stamp.... (Starship Troopers)

Well, if one Agent Smith is a terrifying opponent... let's have hundred's of them... stamp stamp stamp (The Matrix Revolutions)

Intelligent robots? Hmm.... stamp stamp stamp... (well, I haven't seen "I-Robot" yet, but I've seen the previews. Judgement deferred for now.

My opinion is that we've about hit the limits. In "Troy" (which I hated) the thousand ships and masses of soldiers have become totally "ho-humm" - space epics with thousands of fighters flitting about - "ho humm" and so forth. It ultimately comes down to having good stories and deep, well developed characters that draw you into the story. Hollywood is probably on the edge of realizing that big budget special effects are no longer going to guarantee success at the box office. The novelty is gone, time to get back to real acting and plot develoment where computer graphics enhance the story without becoming its principle focus.

On the plus side though, the cheap CG effects have certainly enhanced the cheezy B and C grade Sci-Fi flicks (where you don't expect plot or acting anyway)
                          Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Comment

On the flip side of that coin, computer generated graphics were used to great effect in Master and Commander. As usual, it all boils down to talent on the part of the director and his crew.
                            Editor-in-Chief
                            GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                              On the flip side of that coin, computer generated graphics were used to great effect in Master and Commander. As usual, it all boils down to talent on the part of the director and his crew.
                              And in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy which were awesome movies.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X