ISenate report on Iraq intelligence available online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISenate report on Iraq intelligence available online

The US Senate report on pre-War intelligence estimates concerning Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction capabilities is available for download.

Full Report (24mb pdf doc)
    Conclusion Summary (1.89mb pdf doc)

The site is a little slow at the moment (16kb/s on DSL using Flashget).

The report does not go into detail concerning more political issues such as the role the White House played.

IMHO, the report is somewhat of a "whitewash". Issues more closely related to what the Bush Administration did/did not do were either not explored, or is being with held until after the November '04 elections. It is an insult to the American people's intelligence to try and deflect attention away from the critical issues, which can help them evaluate the conduct of their elected officials. While I believe the report (at least from what I've read) doesn't let Bush off the hook, alot more could be discussed.

On the plus side, the report will hopefully be used by the US to refine our intelligence system. Groupthink compromises objectivity. And when we're talking about killing people and breaking things, balance and impartial intelligence estimates are required.
    Last edited by Deltapooh; 09 Jul 04, 16:24.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Woa, even the summary is huge! Havn't read it yet DP, but could you explain why there are certain bits blacked out. Some of it seems ridiculous eg. (black) blocking out the paragraph number

Maybe the US should ask the #1 intel experts of the last century for assistance, the Russians.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
      Woa, even the summary is huge! Havn't read it yet DP, but could you explain why there are certain bits blacked out. Some of it seems ridiculous eg. (black) blocking out the paragraph number

Maybe the US should ask the #1 intel experts of the last century for assistance, the Russians.
      The blacked out material has been deemed classified by the Senate Intelligence Committee. If I'm not mistaken, some of this will be declassified after the November 2004 Presidential Elections, as part of a deal between the Senate and White House. Other material won't be released to the public at all.

From what I've read thus far, the intelligence community came under alot of pressure to provide clear, simplistic facts about Iraq's WMD program. The accuracy of intelligence estimates was determined not by an objective process, but it furthered a particular ideal, in this case Iraqi having WMDs.
      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
        From what I've read thus far, the intelligence community came under alot of pressure to provide clear, simplistic facts about Iraq's WMD program. The accuracy of intelligence estimates was determined not by an objective process, but it furthered a particular ideal, in this case Iraqi having WMDs.
        Two of the senior members of the panel were just on CNN a few hours ago stating that this did not happen. One of them was a Democrat. The report states that there is no evidence to suggest the intelligence community was manipulated in a any way.

Now Senator Rockafeller has hinted that he personally believes there may have been some pressure, but that's hardly a surprise as he is fairly far to the left of his fellow Democrats.
        Editor-in-Chief
        GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
          Two of the senior members of the panel were just on CNN a few hours ago stating that this did not happen. One of them was a Democrat. The report states that there is no evidence to suggest the intelligence community was manipulated in a any way.

Now Senator Rockafeller has hinted that he personally believes there may have been some pressure, but that's hardly a surprise as he is fairly far to the left of his fellow Democrats.
          Yes, the report states that. However, I don't believe the investigation was thorough enough to support the conclusion. It will not be until after the elections before second part of the investigation, which addresses how intelligence was used by White House, is explored.

Groupthink can influence conclusions in many ways. In this case, I think everyone knew the President and his administration thought Saddam had WMDs. They also was aware of Bush's strong emphasis on national security, particularly after 9/11. These two factors alone are enough to cause analysts to loose their objectivity. When you factor in Saddam's history, the rather tight control of the Executive Branch ("Loose lips sinks ships" can restrict debate), and the consequences, you have an environment where people would feel compelled to support the common theme. It might not have been intentional, or even apparent, but given the scale, and the situation at the time, I can't help, but feel objectivity was lost in a government on a war path.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X