Bee for Vendetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee for Vendetta

Narrowly missed getting nailed by a hornet yesterday.

Odd since our stinging bug population has been low this year. Last year I practically had to carry a RAID sidearm.

But one hornet was on the path today and he didn't want to yield the road. I managed to slip by him, though his irritating habit of flying side to side, matching my turns, was unnerving. I felt like I was being sighted in.

I have not been stung by a hornet but I've been told it's a religious experience. Not only do they hurt like a pistol shot, I've heard they can hit hard, literally fly at you and physically hit hard enough to knock you back.

The last time my family contended with a hornet's nest, they didn't use RAID. They used something a little more destructive.

Actually it wasn't quite that sophisticated. A double barrell shotgun did the trick. This was back in the 19th century so RAID wasn't an option.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Ther last time I saw someone deal with a hornet nest with a shotgun they did have a religious experience....called NEAR DEATH!!!!! All it did was really **** them off! And said shotgunner had no real escape plan.......It cost him, and we had to rescue him from the angry hordes. And YES those stings hurt....like a baseball bat kinda pain.........I got hit in the shoulder while rescuing the gunner, and it was like someone had hit me with a bat it hurt so bad. But At least I only got it once...the shotgun guy (Who will remain nameless, to protect his error of judgement) got hit about 8 times he was down too and dead weight for a few til he got back up. Them damn things stayed pissed off for days after! When I finally recovered and asked Shotgun Willie where he shot the nest at...he said "I aimed low, figuring thats where they'd all be" Yep, they was, right after the bottom of the nest fell away in the blast...then they were all over "Willie" I dont bother them things unless I have to! They are painful!
    Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
    In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
    Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Out here in the NW we have Ground Hornets, wasp, and Yellow Jackets.
      Been stung by all three and the ground hornet is the worst, not cuz his sting
      was worse but more so cuz they have a nasty habit of being the most aggresive, they find ways to get under your clothes with out you knowing they are there.
      And then when they find your tender spot they sock it to you, right in the belly. And they can keep stinging you if you don't get them fast.
      Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

We had a yellow jackets nest in our yard ( which i found by accident and got 29 bee stings at once!) and I got retribution...gasoline + lighter + bee nest = happiness. We thought it was just a hole where they livede..but 30 feet donw into ou yard a "pop" sound came out of the ground with a tiny ball of fire...hehe it was cool

Oh, and for those who want to know, that was when I was 5, 10 years later the sting coutn went from 29 to 48...I'm a freaking veteran
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
          was worse but more so cuz they have a nasty habit of being the most aggresive, they find ways to get under your clothes with out you knowing they are there.
          And then when they find your tender spot they sock it to you, right in the belly. And they can keep stinging you if you don't get them fast.
          same as us. Wasps, ground hornets, regular hornets, and yellow jackets...oh and honey bees...been stun by all as well and it sucks!
          I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
            Oh, and for those who want to know, that was when I was 5, 10 years later the sting coutn went from 29 to 48...I'm a freaking veteran
            And your freaking nuts! I've been blessed as i haven't had many encounters with wasps, bee's or hornets... but shooting a hornets nest would have to be pretty stupid but if i was a bystander and not getting stung i would be on the ground laughing my head off.
            "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
            - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

I Know It's Not The Same Thing

But I once shot a Dragonfly w/A 12 Gauge Goose Gun.

Now THAT was a Religious Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
                But I once shot a Dragonfly w/A 12 Gauge Goose Gun.

Now THAT was a Religious Experience.
                "As the hand of God swept down from the heavens and deminished thy foe in the form 170 metal pellets"

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
                  Lufttiger,
                  Your right about the ground hornets, both their agressivness and ability to nail you over and over. Most of them don't sting, they bite and they are canivorus.

Learned this one the hard way. Pack horse went through a rotten log in the trail. Yours truly was right behind him. Full pack, dead run, they still got so many times we couldn't count em. They followed me for almost a hundred yards. 7 miles to the trailhead, sucked down antihistemine like m&ms, major funky feeling all the way to the hospital. As you probably already know, those bites have a very high infection rate also.

At least with the wasps and bees you get some satisfaction in the fact that stinging you will be the last thing they do...
                  My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Luckly I get the hornets nests with a high pressured hose before they get to big. Hmmm maybe next time I should turn a supersoaker into a mini-flamethrower, but that would be to stupid.
                    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
                      Ther last time I saw someone deal with a hornet nest with a shotgun they did have a religious experience....called NEAR DEATH!!!!! All it did was really **** them off! And said shotgunner had no real escape plan.......It cost him, and we had to rescue him from the angry hordes. And YES those stings hurt....like a baseball bat kinda pain.........I got hit in the shoulder while rescuing the gunner, and it was like someone had hit me with a bat it hurt so bad. But At least I only got it once...the shotgun guy (Who will remain nameless, to protect his error of judgement) got hit about 8 times he was down too and dead weight for a few til he got back up. Them damn things stayed pissed off for days after! When I finally recovered and asked Shotgun Willie where he shot the nest at...he said "I aimed low, figuring thats where they'd all be" Yep, they was, right after the bottom of the nest fell away in the blast...then they were all over "Willie" I dont bother them things unless I have to! They are painful!
                      My ancestor must have been dealing with a small hive because legend has it the hive disintegrated, hornets with it. He did use both barrells. Also I suppose the hive might not have been fully occupied. He was retaliating for an attack on his son and most of the critters might have been elsewhere.
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
                        Only one sting on record for me but numerous close calls.

When I was nine we had a "swamp cooler" and had to keep the windows open. Wasps kept flying in and would sometimes perch on my curtains. I, stupidly, was in the habit of checking the curtains to see if any were there. One time I found one.

Had one try to sting me but was lancing my shirt and not making penetration.

Last summer had several campers get attacked so I had to skip down to the hardware store in town and do some WMDing in the evening. Those cretins were nesting in the dining room ceiling!

But mostly I go Grand Theft Auto on them from my riding mower. I keep a kill tally on the hood of the mower so they can see my prowess and know not to mess with me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X