What would you like to give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you like to give up?

Just for the sake of conversation, is there anything in your life you'd like to give up if you could? Smoking? Overeating? Your mother-in-law? Or is there something you're glad you did give up?

I remember reading, years ago in a mythology book, that the toughest battle King Arthur ever fought was against "the half-man," which the glossary said referred to habit.

I've given up some habits in my life -- and created others. How 'bout you?
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Eating, but then i would die.
    I wouldn't mind cutting back to lose a few pounds tho
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Gave up smoking 4 years ago, was surprised about how easy it was (been smoking a pack a day for 15 years before that), I literally stopped overnight. Strange thing is I still got the feeling I could take back smoking very easily, guess it needs a very long time before the habit disappears completely.
      Last edited by Boonierat; 01 Aug 07, 11:16.

Comment

Let's see, things I gave up I am glad I did.

Religion, yes I mean organized formal religion. It's just a trap meant to control people through their fears.

This is not to say I have a beef with most religions core teachings.

Christianity if you stick to the core message, is one of acceptance and love without conditions. I have no beef with that. The rest is just about control.

Now, things I wish I could control enough to get out of my life.

Chocolate. Yeah three days without chocolate, and I am likely no better than a smoker in withdrawal. I get grouchy etc.

Sex. Yeah I actually said that hehe. I think the day it won't "operate" due to old age, I am actually going to celebrate not lament

Swearing. My foul mouth bothers me. It's a bad habit, and I have obviously encouraged my son (although I am fully aware he would have got it at school too just as easily). I'm no prude, but rather, I think swearing lowers my demonstratable IQ level, because swearing is the mark of a neanderthal.

Now on a more lifestyle appraisal, man, I wish I could "unplug" from modern technology some days. Yeah it's "cool" and it's "fun" and it's "neat". But, it's also intrusive, addictive and makes a person prone to laziness too.
        If I could snap my fingers, and be living on a mountainside, a 30 minute walk from a grocery store over a rural road, where I had modern plumbing and electricity, but no cable, satellite, internet or phone, I think I would take it.
        I could return to my books, board games, models and the only thing on the tv would be dvds of movies documentaries and animes from my collection. And as it goes, I have enough of the above to last 3 lifestimes, so being cut off from anything new would not matter.
        I'd like being totally and completely unreachable by distractions.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

My life of crime

Serously. Uh.....I'd give up.....I really don't know....
          I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Good question... made me think a while before I wrote an answer and give it a little twist
            From the materialistic point of view: I think I could easily adept to living the life as it was when I was approx. 18 years old.
            In my case this was around 1982.
            No computers, no DVDs, no mobile phones.
            Instead: lots of books, a good movie every now and then on TV.

It is not that I would want to go back, but I would find it easy to do without the things I got used to since then.
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Simply Put

165 Pounds, in the hopes that my Type II Diabetes would go into remission & not only could I quit taking this stupidly expensive medication, but I could also quit poking my fingers with these needles to check my blood sugar levels twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                Good question... made me think a while before I wrote an answer and give it a little twist
                From the materialistic point of view: I think I could easily adept to living the life as it was when I was approx. 18 years old.
                In my case this was around 1982.
                No computers, no DVDs, no mobile phones.
                Instead: lots of books, a good movie every now and then on TV.

It is not that I would want to go back, but I would find it easy to do without the things I got used to since then.
                If there's one thing I couldn't give up is my PC and internet connection (pathetic I know )

Comment

Smoking - for obvious reasons, wife gave up two months ago.

That will do for now, one step at a time

Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                    If there's one thing I couldn't give up is my PC and internet connection (pathetic I know )
                    I would like to cut back, sometimes I spend so much time 'speaking to people all over the world' I forget the people in the same room as me!
                    Wolster

Comment

I work as an air traffic controller dealing with emergencies all the time and I want to quit sniffing glue. Oh wait, I've got another crisis to deal with.

Oh well
                      "looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue"

Seriously though, I stopped spending as much time on the computer as I used. I need to spend less time on the computer.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

I once read something that struck me as pretty profound:

If one could give up his fears, he'd never have to give up anything else.
                        --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
                          Eating, but then i would die.
                          I wouldn't mind cutting back to lose a few pounds tho
                          There is a Swedish joke:
                          A man said that he would teach his horse to not eat anything.
                          After a while his neighbor asked how it was going.
                          The man said: Very good if he had been alive , I would also teach him to not drink anything.

I would like to stop being so greedy.
                          Last edited by Erkki; 01 Aug 07, 12:46.
                          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

One way in, and one way out....

I would like to give up the internet. This would also please many of my "fans."

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
                            My life of crime
                            (In my best wigger voice)

What'ya mean, ya wanna get out the gang, homeboy?
                            "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

>is there anything in your life you'd like to give up if you could?

Continuing to read new posts by people that have proven themselves many times in the past to be minor morons.

>Or is there something you're glad you did give up?

The small number of exceptional morons that I have actually gone to the trouble to killfile.
                              Best regards, Major H
                              [email protected]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X