Wargame Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wargame Commentary

As you may have noticed by my new sig and post in the gaming forum, I have started a new blog.

(Who cares?)

Anyway, my goal is to get better at playing wargames by keeping a journal of my gameplay. My hope is that this will cause me to slow down and think things through, instead of just hastily throwing units around a map and then restoring from an earlier savegame.

And though this post may appear to be a thinly-veiled attempt to pimp my blog yet again, I am actually interested in some critiques. I have been journaling the game Sons of Liberty for the past few days now, playing the Bunker Hill scenario. I would be interested in any sort of feedback on my progress so far:

- Am I thinking along the right lines?
    - Am I writing down the right stuff?
    - Am I following any sort of military-esque logic, or just my own befuddled brain dump?
    - Is this kind of write-up useful for a post-mortem? Should I be focusing on other aspects of the scenario (enemy units and movements, for example)?

Feel free to read all the entries in the blog, but these are the 3 that talk about the battle so far:
    Beginning: http://wargamernoob.wordpress.com/20...art-of-battle/
    Turn 1: http://wargamernoob.wordpress.com/20...r-hill-turn-1/
    Turn 2: http://wargamernoob.wordpress.com/20...r-hill-turn-2/

Thanks in advance. I'll take any sort of feedback that doesn't start out with, "What are you, a moron?"

"I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't look at anything with graphics that antiquated. Surely there are more modern games you can play?
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Thanks Brian you just took the hit for many of us on that remark hehe.

Will I'd have to say the setting is out of my area of expertise, so I can't help much there.

I will say though, the "idea" for the blog is an ok one though.

I currently have a blog going over at Gamesquad for wargaming, and I use it for commentary on wargaming as well. But it doesn't support images readily (to my knowledge). So I would say your creating a blog with a service that is more functional is likely not a bad idea.

Keep a link handy in your sig to a main page is probably all you require. If it's interesting, I am sure people will visit.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
        Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't look at anything with graphics that antiquated. Surely there are more modern games you can play?
        Heh.

Just for you, I installed the "graphics upgrade" pack:

Now you get actual pictures of little guys instead of abstract symbols.

Seriously, though, the gameplay is simple yet detailed enough to make me think I'm actually doing something (without becoming overwhelmed). Graphics aside, I was hoping for some comments on the content/narrative (not necessarily on the blog overall).

I also have some scenarios for Age of Rifles that I will probably be rolling out at some point; maybe Panzer General, Battle for Wesnoth, who knows?

Just started with this one because I like the older SSI stuff and it ties in with the book I'm reading for ACG on the American Revolution.

I appreciate the candor, though... maybe I'm just living in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post

I appreciate the candor, though... maybe I'm just living in the past.
          My eyes! They burn!

Actually, more seriously, the biggest problem with using games that old is that they may not be up to snuff when it comes to actually representing the situations/strategies that you are talking about. It's like using a hammer to repair a watch...
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Fair enough. I just can't afford to get anything newer. :P

Age of Rifles, though, is a bit easier on the eyes I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X