How Useful Is The Vice-Presidency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Useful Is The Vice-Presidency?

This all started on te way home last night while my wife and I were discussing the upcoming elections. We started recalling past presidents and their vices, and found that we could recall only a few of the vice-presidents. This led to the question of what their value actually is.

Rarely has a vice-president been called to serve. Even more rarely has a vice-prsident beed assigned serious duties of value to America.

Why cannot the losing presidential candidate be designated as the automatic successor to office in the event of the death of the President?

How do other nations handle this?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Just my opinion, but I would not support the loser taking over in the case of the death of the winner. The reason I think that is because there are alot of crazy people out there and if everyone knew the loser would be president, I believe you would see alot of attempts to kill the president so their guy could take over. Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
      This all started on te way home last night while my wife and I were discussing the upcoming elections. We started recalling past presidents and their vices, and found that we could recall only a few of the vice-presidents. This led to the question of what their value actually is.

Rarely has a vice-president been called to serve. Even more rarely has a vice-prsident beed assigned serious duties of value to America.

Why cannot the losing presidential candidate be designated as the automatic successor to office in the event of the death of the President?

How do other nations handle this?
      Originally that is close to how it worked:

In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President.
      The above is in reference to Electoral College ballots, i.e. the person in second place became the Vice President.....

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found.../a2_1_2-3.html

Twelfth amendment changed it:

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed,
      http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found.../amendXII.html

Proposed by congress in 1803 and ratified in 1804. It didn't take long for them to decide the system of loser is VP didn't work....
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I think the 12th Amendment came along right about the same time that the "Two-Party System" emerged.

If there were no political parties (like George Washington preferred) the original system would have worked pretty well.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

And I'm not ready to have Gore or Kerry given presidency in the event of Bush's death. If you thought Bush was bad, be thankful, at least please consider what Gore or Kerry could have done...

Gore would have not passed up campaigning on The War on Global Warming. Likewise, Kerry wouldn't dare to pass up an opportunity to present his idea of Global Test, measuring to see anytime the US does something, it will be approved by the World Body...made up of terrorists, dictators, treehuggers, liberals, and a lot more of enemies of the US.

Global Warming and Global Test are definitely the last things we need right now in America.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X