Why do some movies have a "tint"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some movies have a "tint"?

Has anyone noticed how some movies have a kind of color tint to them. For instance Saving Private Ryan always seemed to have a greenish haze to it. Gladiator's Rome scenes had a very blue haze to them and I think Iwo Jima shots in Flags of our Fathers also had a tint to them. Anyone know why?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Quite many films have a 'tint'. It's just another tool for the director.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Yeah - IIRC they also washed the colour out of SPR slightly to give it a slightly grittier appearance.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

In SPR, THe director admitted to doing a WASH on the color of the film for "feel"...like old color movies at the time.....

Rome was a CGI and that may have had something to do with it or the director was looking for a "feel" The Grandeur and Beauty of Rome.....

Flags and Letters.....same thing as SPR....shaky, washed out color to repersent the color films of the day.....more to create an AURA for the film...and it works for me! I like it!
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

It was done in "300" as well, and it was designed to give a "Pulp Comic" feel, just like in "Sin City".

I personally like it, and I think it sets movies apart.

Comment

They call it Digital Grading I think. Its a double edged sword imo, it can really enhance a movie or ruin it completely.

Comment

the biggest problem with movies nowadays is that they look cheap - in comparison to old movies.

Comment

Old & New

Originally posted by stalin View Post
                the biggest problem with movies nowadays is that they look cheap - in comparison to old movies.
                No kidding. There's been huge jumps in CGI and Digital Editing since I was learning in 1o years ago, but even back then with what little we had in a High School Cinematography class, our teacher warned us not to "over-toaster" the film, that is, go easy on the digital. Now you can't really find a movie with out the computer enhancement, unless you're into independent film, and they use it too, and it looks bad 'cause it's low-budget.

Saving Private Ryan is a good expample of just enough Digital Enhancement. The "haze" in the opening of the film, while the soldiers sweep up the bunkers and such, is mostly lense work and natural lighting, cleaned up a bit with Digi-crap. Speilberg has a solid grasp on combining classic camera technique, lighting, and technology. More of todays film-makers could take a hint from him....
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

You Would Think That With Today's Technology

Film's like "Battle of The Bulge", "Kelly's Heroes", Etc, Etc, Etc, could be redone with the actual vehicles, etc, of the time in the movies to make them more authentic.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the tinting, but it was my thought at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                    They call it Digital Grading I think. Its a double edged sword imo, it can really enhance a movie or ruin it completely.
                    It depends on the movie the reason for the tint.

There are old fashion filters on the cameras. There are chemical washes put on the film. And then there are digital effects too.

Another factor is the type of film. You'll notice a stark difference between a film shot purely on digital (i.e. Collateral - Michael Mann is a huge Digital fan, 28 Days Later, and a growing number more) compared to one shot on various sizes of actual film.
                    ďTo discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                      Has anyone noticed how some movies have a kind of color tint to them. For instance Saving Private Ryan always seemed to have a greenish haze to it. Gladiator's Rome scenes had a very blue haze to them and I think Iwo Jima shots in Flags of our Fathers also had a tint to them. Anyone know why?

Do you have the number of a good TV repair man??

Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                        Do you have the number of a good TV repair man??

Think Wolster gave a cool response to the thread hehe

I think the tinting is often a neat effect, but like with anything, it's always a trick that can be as good as it can be bad. It won't make a bad movie better.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
                          ... in a High School Cinematography class, our teacher warned us not to "over-toaster" the film, that is, go easy on the digital...
                          still, to me it seems like they shoot the movie scenes onto a digital format - first off,
                          and it is only after the cutting room that they render the whole material onto film.
                          that's where the process of modern movie-making is done cheap, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
                            still, to me it seems like they shoot the movie scenes onto a digital format - first off,
                            and it is only after the cutting room that they render the whole material onto film.
                            that's where the process of modern movie-making is done cheap, imo.
                            Yeah, and with the "threat" of HDTV, Digital is here to stay, for better or worse. I like the warmth of original film, but very little is used today. The digi-process has it's benefits for sure, but I watch alot of movies, all day, every day, and I can tell the difference, and sometimes that bugs me. I think "Sin City" is a good example of pushing the envelope of Digital without "over-toastering."
                            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
                              ... The digi-process has it's benefits for sure...
                              better contrast - yes, though the ''depth'' is gone...
                              modern movies look like as if they were ''made out of cheap plastic''.
                              the difference between modern movies and old ones is akin to that between the CD and vinyl 12''inch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X