I Just Noticed Something in The Movie "Saving Private Ryan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Noticed Something in The Movie "Saving Private Ryan"

That New Guy, the Typewriter guy, "Upum", has at The Top of His Left Shoulder Sleeve, a Patch with the Yin & Yang Symbol.

Did anybody else notice that?

29th Inf Div. They were part of the first wave at Omaha

The 29th Infantry Division Patch
    nickname: "Blue and Gray"
    motto: "29 Let's Go!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. Originally a disc bordered olive drab, divided in the shape of the Korean "tae guk" symbol of eternal life, with blue on the left and gray on the right. The "Blue and Gray" Division was composed of units descended from Union and Confederate regiments, brought together in a harmonious whole. Men wearing this insignia met and defeated their country's enemies in France, in two World Wars. In 1966 the border was changed from olive drab to the current Army green shade.
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 26 Jul 07, 00:32.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Wasn't it the sign of an engineer?
      I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

He was very "ZEN" Actually it was the 29th Division I think someone said that.already duh!..LOL
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

His name is Upham. The 29th Infantry Division is one of the most famous Division in the Army, for OMAHA BEACH, the battle of St-Lo and the capture of Brest. The Division is still active today.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
            29th Inf Div. They were part of the first wave at Omaha

The 29th Infantry Division Patch
            nickname: "Blue and Gray"
            motto: "29 Let's Go!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. Originally a disc bordered olive drab, divided in the shape of the Korean "tae guk" symbol of eternal life, with blue on the left and gray on the right. The "Blue and Gray" Division was composed of units descended from Union and Confederate regiments, brought together in a harmonious whole. Men wearing this insignia met and defeated their country's enemies in France, in two World Wars. In 1966 the border was changed from olive drab to the current Army green shade.
            Yes it makes an appearance in Call of Duty Three I was wondering what badge that belonged to I thought they made it up but thanks for the info HP
            http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

The original division in World War 2 used a Blue Brigade and a Gray Brigade. The Blues were the 113th and 114th Infantry Regiments, New Jersey National Guard. The Grays were the 115th Infantry Regiment, Maryland NG and 116th Infantry Regiment, Virginia NG. The Field Artillery Brigade HQ was from Virginia.

In WW 2 the National Guard had been reorganized and remixed after activation. Therefor there were very few "Yankee" units in the Division. The 176th Field Artillery from Pennsylvania is the only one that comes to mind easily. The infantry regiments were now from Virginia and Maryland. I like to point out to Maryland Guardsmen that they were in the Gray part of the Division, but they have a poor grasp of unit history and even worse one of the Civil War. They don't even know that John Wilkes Boothe was from Baltimore.

Nowadays there is a definite Yankee element in the Division. They disbanded the 175th and 176th units in Virginia and Maryland and replaced them with Connetticutt (or Massachusetts) units.

Very few Army Divisions were trained for amphibious landings and the 29th was one of the few. Good unit.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Men I'm so glad I found this forum. We have some great minds in here. There's members that realy know military history. I've learned so much since day 1. Thanks to all you guys out there that write great posts day in and day out.
                I you.
                All warfare is based on deception.
                Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                  Yes it makes an appearance in Call of Duty Three I was wondering what badge that belonged to I thought they made it up but thanks for the info HP
                  My "happy to"

HP

Comment

If you watched SPR then I'm pretty sure you remember the scene were a whole landing craft full of troops got cut down by MG fire. Those were members of the 29ths 116th Inf Reg. Many from the same town in Virginia. (see link)

http://www.worldwar2history.info/D-D...ford-Boys.html

HP

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
                      He was very "ZEN" Actually it was the 29th Division I think someone said that.already duh!..LOL
                      IIRC, the ying-yang symbol is related to Taoism, not any form of Zen, which is a sect of Buddhism. And even then it is not the Taoist yin-yang I saw in my one class on religions of the world.

Taoist yin-yang symbol "represents the balance of opposites in the universe. When they are equally present, all is calm. When one is outweighed by the other, there is confusion and disarray." And IIRC, each area has at it's heart the opposite to show how they are connected.

All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

He had a lot of Rep, that is why they took him on the mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles View Post
                          IIRC, the ying-yang symbol is related to Taoism, not any form of Zen, which is a sect of Buddhism. And even then it is not the Taoist yin-yang I saw in my one class on religions of the world.

Taoist yin-yang symbol "represents the balance of opposites in the universe. When they are equally present, all is calm. When one is outweighed by the other, there is confusion and disarray." And IIRC, each area has at it's heart the opposite to show how they are connected.

Yeah I Knew I'd get gigged! i was just poking fun.....And it just wasn't as funny saying he was being very Tao......
                          Good Eye Patrocles.......
                          In Shinto and many other sects of Buddhism I seen alot of the Backwards Swastikas (From What we are used to seeing in Nazi Swastikas) on the Temples in Japan and China....... They dont slant theirs like Hitler did...and Hitler turned his opposite, which a Buddhist monk told me was a bad thing to do because it brings disharmony I wonder if old Adolf knew that???
                          And wasn't there just a thread about a Army Division which used to use the American Indian Swastika as a patch, up until WW2?? (Funny how that symbol has traveled so far???? Temples in India also have them)

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
                            Yeah I Knew I'd get gigged! i was just poking fun.....And it just wasn't as funny saying he was being very Tao......
                            Good Eye Patrocles.......
                            In Shinto and many other sects of Buddhism I seen alot of the Backwards Swastikas (From What we are used to seeing in Nazi Swastikas) on the Temples in Japan and China....... They dont slant theirs like Hitler did...and Hitler turned his opposite, which a Buddhist monk told me was a bad thing to do because it brings disharmony I wonder if old Adolf knew that???
                            And wasn't there just a thread about a Army Division which used to use the American Indian Swastika as a patch, up until WW2?? (Funny how that symbol has traveled so far???? Temples in India also have them)
                            http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/Hi...underbird.html
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Yes that was it I knew I saw that somewhere here on the forum.....Thnaks CE!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X