Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fast Rewind of the History's Tape...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fast Rewind of the History's Tape...

    ...and in this remarkable photo we see much younger Rumsfeld (a special presidential envoy under Reagan) shaking hands with his nemesis Saddam. This was back in 1983 when USA was working with Saddam to defeat and overthrow the Iranian theocracy.


    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Isn't it ironic?... This is certainly not Rumsfeld's favorite picture.

    To do justice to Mr. Secretary of Defence though, this handshake happened in a totally different world. At that time, supporting Saddam Hussein could be defensible, at least from a realpolitik perspective (of course, from an ethical perspective, it was awfully immoral and wrong).

    Of course it later turned out that America spent billions and billions of dollars and two gulf wars to eliminate the guy.

    In the end it just shows how all hell can break loose when you are trying to play the sorcerer's apprentice with far away dictators.

    Most importantly, this picture should give a large clue to Americans why the whole planet is so cynical and distrustful of America...

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, in all honesty Britain's Chamberlain and France's Daladier did shake Hitler's hand at Munich in 1938.

      "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MonsterZero
        Well, in all honesty Britain's Chamberlain and France's Daladier did shake Hitler's hand at Munich in 1938.
        thats funny!
        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know if and why it's funny but does demonstrate that history is not a linear event but a pendulum that swings back and forth.

          "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MonsterZero
            I don't know if and why it's funny but does demonstrate that history is not a linear event but a pendulum that swings back and forth.
            The funny part is the contexts were completely different and you tried to link them together. Now if Chamberlain was shaking hands after signing an arms deal for Hitler to fight Stalin, you could have used the example.
            Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Temujin
              The funny part is the contexts were completely different and you tried to link them together. Now if Chamberlain was shaking hands after signing an arms deal for Hitler to fight Stalin, you could have used the example.
              hehe

              Comment

              Latest Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X