The Softness Of Our Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Softness Of Our Leaders

I was amazed and amused that Bush turned over leadership of the nation, however briefly, to Cheney simply because he had colonoscopy done.

This routine medical examination, performed on millions of older men annually, is an office procedure that incapacitates no one else and certainly the common American is not granted time off from work, let alone the level of disfunction apparently experienced by Bush.

Isn't it SOP that any President hands control over if he's going to unavailable for any length of time?
    Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

The news here said he had to hand over power, under law.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

IIRC... It's required by law.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
          I was amazed and amused that Bush turned over leadership of the nation, however briefly, to Cheney simply because he had colonoscopy done.

This routine medical examination, performed on millions of older men annually, is an office procedure that incapacitates no one else and certainly the common American is not granted time off from work, let alone the level of disfunction apparently experienced by Bush.
          He's not the first (in 1985 Reagan transferred to G.H when he underwent a colonoscopy), and most probably won't be the last.

I can attest to the severe discomfort. Having had the procedure done a few times, after the first one I made darn sure they gave me enough sedative to make a moose as mellow as Tommy Chong on the subsequent ones. The after effects were enough that I wouldn't want to have to make any real decisions for at least a few hours until it completely wore off. I don't see this as softness. I see it as an act of responsibility.
          Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post
            Isn't it SOP that any President hands control over if he's going to unavailable for any length of time?
            For me, a retired military guy, the entire procedure takes a maximum of one hour including check-in and prep-time - for the President, a fraction of that time, as he waits for no one - after which I resume my normal activities at full level of function. Bush, IIRC, was out of circulation for a whole day.

I guess us peons can't afford to be so generous with our time off.

Comment

Bush, IIRC, was out of circulation for a whole day.
              Cheney assumed power at 7:16 AM.
              Bush offically resumed power at 9:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkane View Post
                He's not the first (in 1985 Reagan transferred to G.H when he underwent a colonoscopy), and most probably won't be the last.

I can attest to the severe discomfort. Having had the procedure done a few times, after the first one I made darn sure they gave me enough sedative to make a moose as mellow as Tommy Chong on the subsequent ones. The after effects were enough that I wouldn't want to have to make any real decisions for at least a few hours until it completely wore off. I don't see this as softness. I see it as an act of responsibility.
                Never had a sedative and never expect to. This is a routine procedure, albeit somewhat uncomfortable. If it ever reaches a level of discomfort that requires me to actually be sedated, I will be looking for a new phyician and seriously questioning the credentials of the old one. I have ubndergone three at the USAFA and never needed anything at all. Newer techniques such as Virtual Colonoscopy - and the President can avail himself of the very latest technology at no cost - make it a breeze.

The law requires the President to hand over power if he is going to be incapacitated. No man is incapactitated by a simple colonoscopy, any more than by having a dentist clean his teeth.

Comment

Never had a sedative and never expect to. This is a routine procedure, albeit somewhat uncomfortable. If it ever reaches a level of discomfort that requires me to actually be sedated, I will be looking for a new phyician and seriously questioning the credentials of the old one. I have ubndergone three at the USAFA and never needed anything at all. Newer techniques such as Virtual Colonoscopy - and the President can avail himself of the very latest technology at no cost - make it a breeze.

The law requires the President to hand over power if he is going to be incapacitated. No man is incapactitated by a simple colonoscopy, any more than by having a dentist clean his teeth.
                  But for two hours, isn't it just more of a formality?

Not only that, but it's also a public relations thing.

"Bush Hold Power Tightly, Even While In Surgery!"

It just doesn't send a good message.

And we don't think two hours is that biga deal. Now, if he had taken a full week off, then we'd have a problem!

Comment

I guess I'm a little shocked that you, as a purported physician, forget that there is a thing called the vagal response, which tends to affect heart rythm, and can and has caused death in the past. Even if someone does have access to all of the latest bells and whistles in the medical field, people die.

I was just a lowly medic, but I worked in a Cardiac Step-Down ward and saw more than a few arrhythmias caused by rectal medications being administered or other procedures involving the stimulation of the vagus nerve in this fashion.

In fact, any doctor who doesn't mention this nerve stimulation of the heart as a matter of course when going over a procedure could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

As a self-proclaimed doctor, you should be applauding the President's foresight to ensure all of his bases were covered before undergoing any medical procedure that has risk. I think you are just expressing more of your hatred for another hu8man being.

Just more evidence in my little "MM was never a doctor" folio...
                    Last edited by CPangracs; 22 Jul 07, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                      Just more evidence in my little "MM was never a doctor" folio...
                      I wouldn't doubt the man to his face, Birdy.

I hear he's pretty well armed. . .

I bet MM has a long-forgotten Patriot missile stashed somewhere.

Comment

Doctors apparently removed a few small growths from Bush's colon... wouldn't that require some type of sedative?
                        Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post
                          Doctors apparently removed a few small growths from Bush's colon... wouldn't that require some type of sedative?
                          I am sooooo glad I had dinner some hours ago.

Comment

For me, a retired military guy, the entire procedure takes a maximum of one hour including check-in and prep-time - for the President, a fraction of that time, as he waits for no one - after which I resume my normal activities at full level of function. Bush, IIRC, was out of circulation for a whole day.

I guess us peons can't afford to be so generous with our time off.
                            MountainMan you are hard core.
                            I think President Bush did the right thing.
                            You never know what might happen in an operating room.
                            When I had mine last summer, I could choose a local or general anesthetic.
                            I wanted to be knocked out, so I picked that one.
                            The procedure only took 15 minutes, but I spent time in the recovery room for about one hour.
                            If President Bush wants to rest for the rest of the day, let him rest.
                            Last edited by Slug; 22 Jul 07, 17:56.
                            "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

You forgot one major factor, MM. A politician's colonoscopy requires removing the head to clear the passage.
                              All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X