Back in the U.S., Back in the U.S. S. A.* #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the U.S., Back in the U.S. S. A.* #1

Well I've been back for almost a month now and have pretty much readjusted. I still find myself occasionally pointing at a menu item (much likelier to succeed in China than my Mandarin) at which point my wife says, "Idiot just TELL her what you want". And occasionally I find myself packing everything for a road trip; forgetting I can buy anything thing I need.

The trip here was awful. I got denied my 1st attempt to leave China and take me and the cats to Saigon. My Chinese Residence permit was in my old passport which I didn't bother to bring. I mean; I'm obviously IN China and I'm leaving so what's the big deal? Obviously a big deal to the immigration people. My wife made a frantic dash to the airport and actually got there 15 minutes before departure, but the airline folks said too bad. The wife was none too pleased. So I tried again the next morning. Which meant I had to get up at 4:30 and then try to catch and drug my two cats. And not being dogs they were a whole lot less trusting the 2nd time around. Eventually I got them caged and all went well, had both passports, etc. This time the plane is late so we get to Singapore to late to catch our Saigon flight. So we spend the night in Singapore and toodle off to Saigon the next morning. I hadn't actually figured out how I was to get the cats into Vietnam. In theory a vet meets you at the airport, checks the beasts, then gives you the appropriate paperwork. The relo people we used volunteered to set that up for me for $700 USD!! I passed; I figured if it looked bad I'd just tape a $20 on each cage and say that it was my paperwork I needn't have worried. I pick them up off the floor, loaded them on my luggage cart and went right on out. No one bothered us at all.

Getting back was tough. We went from Saigon to Singapore, Singapore to LA (15 hours but it was on Singapore Airlines), LA to Albuquerque where we got in at midnight. Took off the next morning for Dallas (much rain delay) then off to Memphis, then a 2 hr drive to the inlaws. Definitely a long haul.

We just spent two weeks on a Florida roadtrip visiting friends and doing a week at Disneyworld. Boy that Mouse kicked my ass. 12 hour days in the Florida sun, then the lines, eeeh. But the kids had a great time. One thing we were taken aback by was how many incredibly fat people threr were there. I mean the ones who had to rides scooters because they were too fat to walk around. Not a pretty site. We had fun with the Chinese staff. We'd come up to them and start asking them stuff in Mandarin. They were quite surprised (especially with my daughter who is the best Mandarin speaker of us) to see such gringo looking folks doing that. Well you have to entertain yourselves when you're at those extended hours and it's almost 2am.

I'm off to Kansas Wed for a few days then back to Tennessee. We then go to Albuquerque on Aug 2nd and leave for Saigon on the 10th. I'll try to update before then.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

* With apologies to John and Paul
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Great to have you back!

Comment

Tis well to see my countryman on his home ground again....be well and safe in your travels and your return to your home.

best
      CV

Comment

That's good to here that you are on vacation. I just got done with mine and now it's back to reality.
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

I want to hear about your impressions of Sai Gon.

I can tell you where to get good pizza there

M.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
            Well I've been back for almost a month now and have pretty much readjusted. I still find myself occasionally pointing at a menu item (much likelier to succeed in China than my Mandarin) at which point my wife says, "Idiot just TELL her what you want".
            Welcome home Sino Invasion.
            The stories about your adventures from far away places, are always a treat.
            You remind me of Mark Twain a little.
            Anyway, welcome back to the land of many cultures and cuisines.
            In fact, instead of having Taco Bell, I might have some of my Chinese food to celebrate your return!

Last edited by Slug; 22 Jul 07, 00:44.
            "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Good to have you back safe and sound
              My Own Christmas Tree....

Comment

Pizza????

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                I want to hear about your impressions of Sai Gon.

I can tell you where to get good pizza there

M.S.

I want to find the best pho spot. I paln on exploring all those little vendors, dirty places down alleys, etc.
                Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X