Question for Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Gun

Need some help, some of you know I deal a bit in 19th Cent. American weapons, but I'm finding that I have been lazy in keeping up with modern American sporting weapons. I'm looking for a used shorter barrelled, bolt action, production model in .243-.308. My first idea was my beloved Rem. 600 in .308 bought 30 years ago.

However, I have found out these have become collector items and the prices are a bit high for the first time shooter. I can do the searches, and talk to my modern dealers buddies, but I thought that there has to be some of you out there keeping up on modern weapons. Can you offer some suggestions?

P.S. No, I don't need to know about the beauties of the .458 Mag, the .454 Jennings or auto-loaders etc.. This is for a "first gun" shooter used for deer in an area with limited visibility. Let's start him off right.
    Last edited by holly6; 19 Jul 07, 22:48.
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Have you looked at the Remington 700? You could probably find one of them for around $300-$400 from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
      Have you looked at the Remington 700? You could probably find one of them for around $300-$400 from what I remember.
      Bought a 700 BDL in the early 70's, trigger problems. But the little I've read, it seems they have not only fixed that, but have also come out with a short barrel version. Have they been out long enough for used ones to hit the market?
      thanks for the response
      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
        Bought a 700 BDL in the early 70's, trigger problems. But the little I've read, it seems they have not only fixed that, but have also come out with a short barrel version. Have they been out long enough for used ones to hit the market?
        thanks for the response
        Probably, If you look on Gunbroker.com or the other auction sites you can probably find some up for sale.

As to length, Their website shows that their "Classic" Model 700 in .30-06 is 44 inches long, They've got a couple other models that come in at around 39-42 inches as well, Barrel length on all models seems to be around 24-26 inches.

I don't know about the trigger problems but finding some reviews online would probably be good.

Comment

Try the Tika 25.06

small, light weight, flat shooting but has a pretty good kick. It has a 25 cal slug with a 30.06 casing.

Comment

Originally posted by medivac View Post
            Try the Tika 25.06

small, light weight, flat shooting but has a pretty good kick. It has a 25 cal slug with a 30.06 casing.
            Fun varmit round. College roomate had the first I ever saw, Model 70 Win. if I remember right. Major flat shooting coyote round, and you are right about recoil. It was a "wildcat" round for years with re-loaders before it became "legit" around 1970.
            Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X