SpaceShipOne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceShipOne

You've got to admit that as aircraft designers imagination and vision the Rutan brothers have not shortage of. Just look at that thing!

But you ain't seen nothing yet, check out the new stuff on the horizon:

Last edited by MonsterZero; 21 Jun 04, 08:30.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I prefer these...

At least they do fly (most of the time)
    "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
    which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
    The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
    returned to its home base."

Comment

hey, totally different things..

SpaceShipOne is absolutely one of the greatest cornorstone for private space adventures. Its technology and efficiency is also amazing! Salute to the designer, manufacturer and crews!
      Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that they made orbit. Now perhaps NASA will get off its ass and do something new.
        "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Hey, wait a second ...

I'm glad to hear that they made orbit. Now perhaps NASA will get off its ass and do something new.
          Uh, actually it didn't make orbit at all, it made altitude and NASA did the same thing fifty years ago. The only significant thing about this project is that it is US effort that is privately funded.

I agrree that it is a nice showing, but let's keep a grip on things.
          Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by SparceMatrix
            Uh, actually it didn't make orbit at all, it made altitude and NASA did the same thing fifty years ago. The only significant thing about this project is that it is US effort that is privately funded.

I agrree that it is a nice showing, but let's keep a grip on things.
            62 miles is considered 'Space'. So ya orbit was a bad choice of words. NASA hasn't built too much new stuff, how old is the shuttle?
            "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

interesting

Interetingly enough, The soviet race to the moon was run on a semi-entrepreneurial basis with competing projects. it failed.
              Nasa ran the same project on a centralised, governement-heavy, process-heavy, planified economy-style project and succeeded (at huge cost).

Nasa, sometime ssuccessfully, monst often at enormously bureaucratic and costly makes silly, stupid, expensive project (of which the Space shuttle is the most silly example - 7 men in space to deploy and repair sattelites, duh...).

private enterprise should be (and will be) encouraged. Space Ship One is just the beginning and reaching space is good enough for this commercial enterprise. The next step will be orbit and beyond.

the real question is if this businessis sustainable enough to enable competitive practices or if because of a too high entry price, it will become a virtual-monopoly because no one wants to invest to play in this field....

this flight is a great success!!!
              "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

This just in! This MSNBC article describes a private, California-based company that thinks they can get paying passengers to orbit the moon (& return to Earth) for a total per-ticket cost of $100 million! WOW!
                ...now a private group of spaceflight planners has developed a strategy for lunar tourist missions using existing or modified space hardware. Even with an estimated cost per ticket in excess of $100 million for a simple lunar fly-by, the scheme appears remarkably doable, in the view of some space experts.

Constellation Services International, a small California space firm founded in late 1998, recently disclosed details of the Lunar Express project to resume human flights to the moon funded by private passengers. Chief executive officer Charles Miller discussed it with MSNBC.com in an interview this month.

“The key is getting the cost down using existing assets to make it viable,” he stressed. The mission design his team developed makes use of upgraded versions of existing spacecraft, from the Russian Soyuz that transports crews between Earth and the international space station, to the mighty Proton rocket that can carry more than 20 tons into orbit.

In their strategy, Constellation Services imagines a modified Soyuz spacecraft performing a baseline six-month space station crew exchange mission. A new Soyuz is launched with two new station crew members and the paying passenger. They perform the standard weeklong crew exchange, and then the old Soyuz, the returning station crew and the tourist unhook from the station.

Here’s where it gets interesting: The Soyuz does not return directly to Earth, as in the past. Instead, it approaches a rocket stage that has been launched separately with a special payload, and docks with it. That stage then ignites, pushing itself and the Soyuz and its passengers toward the moon. The flight, which slingshots around the moon but does not actually enter lunar orbit, will take six days.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Richa333; 24 Nov 04, 15:28.
                -Love Protects-

Comment

Another MSNBC article; this one is FAA's approval of Bigelow Airspace's inflatable space habitats...COOL!
                  Attached Files
                  -Love Protects-

Comment

MSNBC reports that the "Private Human Spaceflight Bill" has been passed out of the Senate & House, now on its way to President for signature!!!

Snippet:
                    The Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act, or H.R. 5382, now goes to the White House for President Bush's signature. It would put a clear legislative stamp on regulations already being put in place by the Federal Aviation Administration — and more significantly, allow paying passengers to fly on suborbital launch vehicles at their own risk.

--article continues--
                    I WANNA RIDE I WANAA RIDE I WANNA RIDE !!!

Now all I need do is join the list of 5,000+ that have proven to Virgin Galactic that they have a quarter million dollars for each ticket--

Time to invest in the lottery (again)?
                    -Love Protects-

Comment

Rutan is a friggin mastermind. I got a chance to fly in a long EZ a few months back... very, very nice design. The guy is amazing.
                      Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

YAY! It's now a federal law - private persons CAN ride in private spaceships!!!

Next up: the FAA's regulatory process (ugh!). For all of you who, like me, wrote numerous letters to Senators & Representatives & the White House - now turn our letter-writing to the FAA!

This MSNBC article has the details. Snippet:
                        Congressional staff members said Bush signed the bill on Thursday without fanfare. The FAA now has 12 months to draw up a new set of draft regulations that would provide for passenger flights. Final regulations would take effect six months later.
                        -Love Protects-

Comment

Originally posted by Richa333
                          MSNBC reports that the "Private Human Spaceflight Bill" has been passed out of the Senate & House, now on its way to President for signature!!!

Snippet: I WANNA RIDE I WANAA RIDE I WANNA RIDE !!!

Now all I need do is join the list of 5,000+ that have proven to Virgin Galactic that they have a quarter million dollars for each ticket--

Time to invest in the lottery (again)?

Lets get everyone on the forum for pitch in. Im sure we can come up with the money to get a ticket. We then have a raffel to see who gets the ticket. Make it a once in a life time trip
                          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971
                            Interetingly enough, The soviet race to the moon was run on a semi-entrepreneurial basis with competing projects. it failed.
                            Where did you get this info? (Not the failing part, I got that.)
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I read that somewhere too... a recent Air Force mag perhaps? Supposedly they had several programs all running parallel to one another vying for funds and power to see who would come up with the best chance at a moon shot. None were successful (obviously) and it was theorized that if they had been working together, they might have beaten us there. Leave it to Soviet communism to shoot itself in the foot.
                              If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X