Need for a football über-referee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for a football über-referee?

Well just some thoughts. I have been watching some matches in the ongoing European championships. The referees are of poor quality. Two examples:
    - Russian goalkeeper sent off, after the referee thought he had touched the ball outside the box. He hadn't. Russia is out of the tournament.
    -Tonight's game between Croatia and France. French forward scores after taking the ball with him with the help (unintentionally) of his hand. Poor-playing France saves 2-2.

I am quite disappointed with the games. Many players are bad sportsmen, and are more actors than anything else. The referees make critical mistakes that would be easy avoidable with the help of modern technology, and an über-referee. I have the distinct feeling that the referees are biased in favour of the well-known teams...

Your thoughts?
    "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
    "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Wow - soccer does'nt have instant replay? If the games are this important -
    we are talking soccer here how many referees are on the field at any time? How can a sport so boring (ducking as he types) not have state of the art replays & rulings?
    Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy
      Wow - soccer does'nt have instant replay? If the games are this important -
      we are talking soccer here how many referees are on the field at any time? How can a sport so boring (ducking as he types) not have state of the art replays & rulings?
      Well, one man's passion is another man's boredom. I agree with you on the soccer thing (called 'Kiss and Kick' in New Zealand), but four out of six continents can't be wrong; there must be something to it.

Besides, gridiron isn't the most exciting of games. Four hours of TV, to watch a one hour game? Seven seconds of action, followed by two minutes of team changing, and four minutes of car adverts. At least soccer is over and done in just under two hours.

Well, I imagine you wouldn't enjoy watching Rugby Union either (my football of choice). Still, you might like Rugby League, though the non-stop action and hurt might overload your gridirion-numbed senses........ (hehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by Felix
        Well, one man's passion is another man's boredom. I agree with you on the soccer thing (called 'Kiss and Kick' in New Zealand), but four out of six continents can't be wrong; there must be something to it.

Besides, gridiron isn't the most exciting of games. Four hours of TV, to watch a one hour game? Seven seconds of action, followed by two minutes of team changing, and four minutes of car adverts. At least soccer is over and done in just under two hours.

Well, I imagine you wouldn't enjoy watching Rugby Union either (my football of choice). Still, you might like Rugby League, though the non-stop action and hurt might overload your gridirion-numbed senses........ (hehehe)
        Excuse me, it's not four hours, it's three hours. A lot of action can happen in seven seconds, that's what it makes the game so exciting.

The soccer game to me is more like a gay party than anything else, it's so boring...hehe...

Dan
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I'm not a big fan of soccer either. I find the pace of this game much too slow - but I am used to hockey, so the contrast in speed is probably too great

I have to recognize though that soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and there must be a good reason for it, it's just that North Americans are too ignorant to see it Also, I must admit that although I find watching soccer boring, it's quite easy and fun to play.

Football is great, and although the games can indeed stretch over 3 hours, it is not that long. People who does not know football believe that there are too many dead times, but in fact what is great for spectators is that these pauses between each play allows you to discuss with your friends and argue on the next play, the tactics and the strategy. It's a great sport to watch in group.

Comment

Sport of Champions

Ahhh, but the beauty of rugby is that you can actually play it, which is what tens of thousands of Kiwis and Aussies do, well into their thirties and forties (and older too, with the golden oldy tournaments). You don't have to hang up your boots when you leave high school and relive your glory days over a beer. You can go out and continue to throw yourself into it, boots and all. Nothing like a crunching tackle and the odd bit of vigorous rucking to get the blood pumping (and flowing too). What percentage of gridiron players stop when they end high school?

Gridiron might be an alright game to watch (though I still doubt this; Antipodean prejudice), but rugby is a game to play. It makes good soldiers too.

Comment

hi dicke i agree with you
              though referee of euro are better than for the world cup where you have referee coming from paraguay, mongolia and so on , last mondial belgium had scored against brazil but referee was poor and didn't accept it, also look at what happens with korea , all this is just........
              that's one of the reason why i don't watch football as much as i used to. and if france win the euro this time well i think i won't watch football anymore ( regarding their two matches vs england and croatia)
              looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

Originally posted by viridomaros
                hi dicke i agree with you
                though referee of euro are better than for the world cup where you have referee coming from paraguay, mongolia and so on , last mondial belgium had scored against brazil but referee was poor and didn't accept it, also look at what happens with korea , all this is just........
                that's one of the reason why i don't watch football as much as i used to. and if france win the euro this time well i think i won't watch football anymore ( regarding their two matches vs england and croatia)
                Raciste, xenophobe, anti-français, espèce de flamingand

Allez Zizou, 2 goal in 2 minutes, yeap can't the Bruxelois who can do this humffff

Der WanderWillSmashYouInKharkov42
                The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
                JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
                The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by Dicke Bertha
                  I am quite disappointed with the games. Many players are bad sportsmen, and are more actors than anything else.
                  Probably because nowadays professional football is an industry, and corporate accounting spreadsheets lack the 'sportsmanship' column...

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                    Raciste, xenophobe, anti-français, espèce de flamingand

Allez Zizou, 2 goal in 2 minutes, yeap can't the Bruxelois who can do this humffff

Der WanderWillSmashYouInKharkov42
                    yes i agree zidane is may be the best player in this world ( can't beleive a club payed more for having figo than a club payed for having zidane, zidane is twice better than figo for me) but what i don't like is they are getting lucky too much these days ( last euro they scored 1 goal at 92 min or so against italy and finally they won in the penalty kick)
                    seriously i like french football players but i don't like when they win by chance especially twice in a row all i hope is they will smash switzerland 3-0 at least without luck this time
                    looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

I totally agree to you Bertha! Most of the "fouls" are just acting and the referees simply can't make a right decision without really seing what happened. So an instant replay should be used at least in international tournaments.
                      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
                      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
                      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
                      returned to its home base."

Comment

Well as most of you can tell I absoultly love watching and playing soccer. And I will continue doing this until the day that I can no long stand up and even then they have wheel chair soccer
                        I must say that the refs seem to be getting worse these days I don't know what it is maybe they are not trained as well as they are used to. But regarding the instant replay it sounds like a good idea but as a soccer player I wouldn't want it used during a game. I think that if they kept have to stop to check instant replay than this would break up the flow of the game. This would give players to many breaks and if it was a big point in the game it would stop dead the adrenaline and excitment of the game. Soccer is a fast pace game that can't be broken up or it will become boring. Thats why there are no timeouts in soccer you play for 45 min take one break for 10-15 min and then play another 45 min. If there were alot of break for instant replay it would be like American football were there is some action follow by a break were players get there breath back and rest. Soccer is an endurence sport an the breaks in action/play would give players time to catch thier breath and rest thus defeating the purpose of conditioning and being able to last for 90 min with only one small break. Well those are just my thoughts anyways.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

I agree too, I don't want the breaks, but perhaps the referee could be in contact by radio with the überdude, who could direct him in critical moments.

Otherwise, the sport will degenerate totally.

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772

The soccer game to me is more like a gay party than anything else, it's so boring...hehe...

Dan

I don't see where people get the notion that soccer is gay, and that there is no contact in the game. If you played the game, you'd know that it is an extremely intense and physical game. I tore out my ACL and Meniscus in my right knee after getting hit in one game. Surgery and 7 months of Physical Therapy. Don't tell me it's gay, because it's just as violent and physical as these other sports out there.
                            "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

– George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
                              I don't see where people get the notion that soccer is gay, and that there is no contact in the game. If you played the game, you'd know that it is an extremely intense and physical game. I tore out my ACL and Meniscus in my right knee after getting hit in one game. Surgery and 7 months of Physical Therapy. Don't tell me it's gay, because it's just as violent and physical as these other sports out there.
                              I would suppose gay guys like to feel and touch other guys. That sounds pretty much like American football to me. In real football, you touch someone inapropriately, you are warned, then sent off. Bad odds for gays. With latin football players, when they hug and kiss and roll in the grass, I just think they are happy.

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X