Laszlo, I Found Some Nice Pics of Eger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laszlo, I Found Some Nice Pics of Eger

Eger is my favorite city in Hungary although I haven't seen Budapest. Do you know Eger well, Laszlo?

"If it's not baroque, don't fix it"

http://eger.ohb.hu/index.en.html

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I was many times there.

Eger is famous about it was the last fortress which stopped one of the most significant Turkish attack in 1552, which saved the Catholic Europe. Because of this victory you can hear the church bells at noon ordered by the Pope.
    The Turks were about 70,000-150,000 (70,000 is the fighting force) against 2,000 Hungarians. After few weeks siege the Turks gave up the siege.
    Few years later the Turks captured the fortress, but it was not part of a big attack, so it was not a big issue.

In Eger you could see the fortress, but you can find many Turkish buildings, and of course many old builds too.

Eger is famous of its wine, too. The Egri Bikavér (Egerer Bull's blood) wine as it's called.
    a brain cell

Comment

http://www.egeronline.com/guide/guid...istory&lang=en

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/countries/eger.htm

http://www.agria.hu/(english)/eger/tortnete.html
      a brain cell

Comment

So is this the town that Dracula lives in?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
          So is this the town that Dracula lives in?

Dracula lived in Transylvania while this town is in the North of Hungary (Transylvania was the -South-Eastern part of Hungary/now belongs to Rumania)...

I bite you
          a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi

Dracula lived in Transylvania while this town is in the North of Hungary (Transylvania was the -South-Eastern part of Hungary/now belongs to Rumania)...

I bite you
            Maybe he moved.

Comment

Yea, I mean vampires don't die, so why live in the place where everyone expects you to be. I'd move to Prague or...I don't know, Riga. How good can Rumanians taste anyway?
              Even Jesus will never forgive what you do - Bob Dylan

Comment

I was many times there.

Eger is famous about it was the last fortress which stopped one of the most significant Turkish attack in 1552, which saved the Catholic Europe. Because of this victory you can hear the church bells at noon ordered by the Pope.
                The Turks were about 70,000-150,000 (70,000 is the fighting force) against 2,000 Hungarians. After few weeks siege the Turks gave up the siege.
                This is most impressive considering that Turks were the masters of siege; they loved digging, tunnels, explosives and so on. Their siege engineers were without equal in the world at that time. Interestingly they hired mercenaries (such as Italians) from Western Europe too. They also had very impressive artillery to pound the besieged senseless.
                Last edited by MonsterZero; 16 Jun 04, 12:28.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Maybe he moved.
                  To Denver...
                  a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
                    This is most impressive considering that Turks were the masters of siege; they loved digging, tunnels, explosives and so on. Their siege engineers were without equal in the world at that time. Interestingly they hired mercenaries (such as Italians) from Western Europe too. They also had very impressive artillery to pound the besieged senseless.
                    Yeah! There is a novel book about the siege called Egri csillagok (Egerer's stars), it was filmed in the '60s, now I bought it on DVD.
                    a brain cell

Comment

To Denver...
                      Maybe, I've always been kinda suspiciuos about the guy down the hall.

Comment

Maybe, I've always been kinda suspiciuos about the guy down the hall.
                        It is too late, if you can live only in the darkness at the front of the computer monitor...
                        a brain cell

Comment

To Denver...
                          He better not be in Denver...I don't want anything to do with him! Of course, after seeing Van Helsing he does have some nice wives - until they do their change-to-evil routine
                          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

It is too late, if you can live only in the darkness at the front of the computer monitor...
                            Well doesn't computer monitors ward off vampires?

Comment

Well doesn't computer monitors ward off vampires?
                              (Sitting in front of a monitor...) I hope so... (devil tone) brrrraggggghhhhhaaahhhaaahhhaa
                              a brain cell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X