European democracy at its best...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European democracy at its best...

348 millions voters, 44,6% of which only took notice an election was being held (today's Le Monde dossier (pdf), sorry for the french-only article, but only figures matter) to fill the 732 ranks of the European Parliament...
    Some abstention rates :
    Luxembourg : 10%
    Malta : 17.6%
    Cyprus : 28.8%
    Ireland : 39%
    Spain : 54%
    France : 56.9%
    Germany : 57%
    The Netherlands : 60.9%
    Portugal : 61.3%
    Hungary : 61.5%
    Slovenia : 71.8%
    Czech Republic : 72.1%
    Poland : 78.8% (!)
    I know there are myriads of (good?) reasons for not voting. I also know it exposes european peoples to a collective and justified 'shut up' answer when unpopular decisions will be taken - we only have the politicians we deserve.
    We are pathetic

732? Gosh. That's a lot of .... ummm .... yes.

Comment

I agree it is pathetic. If you do not vote you sell out on on your godgiven right to complain about your politicians.
      ...the troops of love are pulling out... (D.A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by rasmus
        I agree it is pathetic. If you do not vote you sell out on on your godgiven right to complain about your politicians.
        That alone should be enough of a reason to vote...

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
          Which is why I did vote.
          ...the troops of love are pulling out... (D.A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
            Jep that's right! And therefore I had to drive 15 f*cking minutes through the rain, on my bike, to get to the place to cast my vote! Just great, this democracy stuff is really bad
            "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
            which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
            The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
            returned to its home base."

Comment

Well, you have to remeber that this EU voting is something new, and some countries only voted for the first time.

In Finland the amount of people that voted went up from 31,4% to 41,1%, and I think that is somewhat high, considering that generally people don't even know what those people in EU are doing.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

You're right, that's pathetic...

When you know that almost 60 % of our national laws are voted in Bruxelles, your "european" bulletin may be important...

To vote is the only way to open our mouth. If you choose to not vote, just because weather is sunny, then sh*t up when we talk about politic
                We've been sitting here since Christmas 1914, since when we've advanced no further than an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping.

Edmund Black Adder in "Black Adder goes forth" - Goodbyeee...

Comment

All Western democracies suffer from voters ignorance and abstention. It is bad news for the future of democracy.

Here in Canada we had only 61% of participation in the 2000 federal elections. We will vote again in two weeks for the federal elections of 2004, and I don't believe the score will be better.

I think in the US democracy is even more sick, with barely more than 50% of potential voters bothering to register their vote.

Comment

Voter apathy, actually that sounds about right for an election turnout, the numbers are not much better for a Presidential election here in the US.

Comment

As for the Hungarian absence:

yeah, it is not good...
                      ...but I feel the Hungarian voice will be small in the European theatre,
                      ...our parties never agree on anything so that 24 people will vote very differently,
                      ...our party behaviour are different than in the European Parlaiment, so maybe I vote here for a good party but I won't agree with the fraction in which my party included,

So that's why we don't know how to vote first time, maybe the next will be better...
                      a brain cell

Comment

we already konw hungarians want to build pizzeria everywhere and i'm quite sure the italians will support you on this
                        looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

Originally posted by viridomaros
                          we already konw hungarians want to build pizzeria everywhere and i'm quite sure the italians will support you on this
                          pizza mafia! secret pizza connection! Sounds good!
                          a brain cell

Comment

Aha!!! So the plot is finally revealed laszlo, Conquer the world by getting them to eat Hungarian mind controlling pepperoni pizza.

Comment

Here in the Irish Republic the voter turnout was 59.1%, which is ok I suppose.

But we had three things to vote on.

1 The European Elections

2 Local Council Elections

3 The Referendum to limit the automatic right to Citizenship of the children of Immigrants.

While I voted in all three I don't want anymore power going to Brussels or Strasbourg anyway.

I want to live in a Europe of Nations that are equals, who co operate with one another and respect each other.

I don't want to live in a Europe where some remote Parliament makes our Laws and where Ireland has just 13 MEPs from the South and 3 from the North with which to influence the outcome.

Co operation, not domination is the way forward.

Lucky for us we will have a Referendum on the proposed new European Constitution.

I will be voting NO!
                              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X