An American Fight Fan Apology to Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An American Fight Fan Apology to Germany

After watching last weeks' Oscar De La Hoya vs. Felix Sturm fight for the fourth time tonight, I would like to apologize to Germany, and German fight fans for what many saw as a politically motivated decision in favor of De La Hoya.

First, it was a close fight. De La Hoya came out very strong winging shots to Sturm's body. However, Sturm weathered the storm, stuck to an amazing jab and soon began to levy hard shots. Even though Oscar fired off more shots which can be eye-catching, he didn't land many. Sturm on the hand busted up De La Hoya.

I had the fight 115-113 in favor of Sturm. Friends who saw the fight on June 5 with me had it the same way. Unfortunately, Las Vegas judges saw it 115-113 in favor of De La Hoya. Unofficial judges from the American media had it a draw at 114-114. So it wasn't a huge difference.

The problem is I felt De La Hoya was given the fight because of Boxing politics instead of a disbute in observation. Sturm was suppose to be an easy contender from Germany who would be overwhelmed by the limelight, popularity, and skill of Oscar De La Hoya. More importantly, Sturm was a tune-up for a $30 million dollar mega fight between De La Hoya and another American fighter, Benard Hopkins in September. (I'll admit I was one of the people cheering DLH just so I can see him get his *ss kicked by Hopkins.)

I believe the main reason Sturm could not win is because the huge event the Hopkins vs DLH fight would be, and the impact it would have on the sport in general. With the ranks of competition in boxing today thinning out, officials really didn't want to screw up such a inspiring event.

Yet, what's fair is fair. For years, I strongly supported the American boycott of sending boxers to Germany because of questionable judging practices. Now we have repaid this flaw in kind. If decisions are based on their impact on the sport, instead of the effort of its players, then it is not a sport, but a show. Boxing would be no better than the WWF (or whatever it's called these days.)

So, what was clear is Felix Sturm came to America, took on a fighter he said was an idol of his, and at worst proved he was his equal (at least at 160lbs) if not better. He should have gone home with his belt and a smile. Instead, American boxing officials discredited the sport by committing the same crime (not new here mind you) that we so hated German officials for.

Thus, I offer my apology to Germany. Sturm did win over alot of fight fans in America. And the only real reason he might not be getting any calls soon for another match here is because he frightened alot of boxers. (I would love to see him and upcoming fighter Jermaine Taylor one day. They both have excellent jabs.)

And while on speaking to foriegn fight fans, I wish you Australians and Russians would tell Kosta Tszyu to get off his *ss and back into the ring, or retire. His withdrawal from a rematch with Mitchell because of an injury had fight fans ing. He needs to be more careful in training. We know the problem is he's living it up, but this is a sport.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

last time i saw him in an interview Kostya had put on a few pounds, but i think thats his style of training he fattens up then burns it all into muscle. The bloke has a fridge in his home gym with a beer keg inside it and a beer tap sticking through the door . He uses beer as a energy/training tool i think, imagine being pissed and feeling heavy handed and then you train after it, must think if he can box good pissed he can box better sober. I like the idea!
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Still waiting for Danny Green vs the Man.
      Now listening too;
      - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Or a rematch against another German

http://www.maxboxing.com/Gerbasi/Gerbasi052504.asp

After 16 wins without a loss, all by knockout, Green traveled to Germany in August of last year to face Markus Beyer. Green - who many felt left Beyer intimidated before the opening bell even rang – dropped the champion twice early in the fight, and was seemingly on his way to a clearcut victory when a cut suffered by Beyer halted the fight in the fifth round. But we’ll let Green tell the rest of the story.

"I went to Germany and punched Beyer from pillar to post, and after five rounds they disqualified me,” said Green. "I opened his eye up in round two. The fight should have been stopped in round three and I should have been declared the winner. 11 minutes later they said they were going to the scorecards when they stopped the fight because he couldn’t continue because his cut was so bad. The doctor jumped in the ring and overruled the referee’s decision of going to the scorecards and disqualified me for a clash of heads, when a punch caused that cut three rounds earlier.”

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
          last time i saw him in an interview Kostya had put on a few pounds, but i think thats his style of training he fattens up then burns it all into muscle. The bloke has a fridge in his home gym with a beer keg inside it and a beer tap sticking through the door . He uses beer as a energy/training tool i think, imagine being pissed and feeling heavy handed and then you train after it, must think if he can box good pissed he can box better sober. I like the idea!
          That's probably why Tszyu has suffered so many injuries during training. Jumping ropes can be hazardous when you can't walk a straight line.

Tszyu is running out of time, and the 140lbs division is filled with so much talent, there is little room for an aging man like Tszyu. Sharmba Mitchell, Rickey Hatton (he'll probably run from Tszyu like is from Mitchell), Gatti (Tszyu would probably take out), Miguel Cotto (Tszyu would beat right now with his superior experience), and my boy "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather Jr (he'll out-box Tszyu right up until Kosta catch him with hands in that cross defense style, and send him home for now.) So Tszyu needs to fight now before some of these guys get too much confidence in the 140lbs division, and be able to defeat him.

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
          If you mean Tszyu, it probably would not happen. That is unless Green try to kill himself to bring his weight down to around 140lbs. Tszyu can't put on that much weight. And if Green did manage to get so small, he'd be so weak, Tszyu would probably send him to the hospital.

I saw his fight against Lucas last year and was impressed with his power and brawler style. Lucas was kind of full of himself that night. He was fighting in his hometown, and probably didn't expect Green to introduce him to the finer points of a brawl.

Right now Danny Green is ranked No. 8 in the Super Middleweight, to Light Heavyweight Divisions. I would like to see him Manny Siaca. However, he'll need to move up to 175lbs for major fights. In that weight class, he could very well muscle his way to champ, particularly if Tarver and Roy Jones Jr move up to heavyweight as both have suggested.

Originally posted by Sharpe
          Or a rematch against another German.
          Green would have a time with Brumer, but would likely take him out just by imposing his physical strength. Green makes up for some of his weaker boxing skills by simply going in and making a fight a real brawl. This kind of fighting style will likely shorten his years as a professional boxer. However, it will earn him alot of fight fans in the US.
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov

Originally posted by Deltapooh
            If you mean Tszyu, it probably would not happen. That is unless Green try to kill himself to bring his weight down to around 140lbs. Tszyu can't put on that much weight. And if Green did manage to get so small, he'd be so weak, Tszyu would probably send him to the hospital.
            Anthony "the Man" Mundine. He's been on the run from Green for a coupla years and recently lost his belt.

Comment

Politically motivated decision in boxing are common these days. Last year, Eric Lucas (a French Canadian), the Super Middle Weight champion of the WBC at the time, went to Germany for a fight against challenger Markus Beyer.

Although it was clear to anyone that Lucas had the upper hand on Beyer for the whole fight, European judges voted for Beyer and Lucas lost his title. Even the German spectators were stunned that in fact Beyer was awarded the win.

It was disgracious, and later on the WBC discreetly recognized the mistake by accelerating Lucas' chance for a revenge by putting him against Danny Green from Australia to decide the next challenger.

So what happens with De La Hoya is nothing new. It is sad that this great sport suffers from this disease, and this makes boxing disappointing, but all sports were the winner can be decided by judges is not immune from behind-close-doors-politics (remember the fantasy skating scandal at Salt Lake City where a Canadian skating couple were discriminated again. The uproar was so great that finally they received the gold medal with apologies from the International Skating Federation...)

Comment

i lost interest in boxing years ago, wrestling is more believable
                Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X