Email mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email mystery

To day I recieved an email from some unknown sender that had absolulely no content, this is the second one that I recieved. When you click to open the email there is nothing, is this some new method to deliver trojans and other viruses to my computer? Anyone have any ideas?

I've had a couple of those - just deleted them
    "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
      To day I recieved an email from some unknown sender that had absolulely no content, this is the second one that I recieved. When you click to open the email there is nothing, is this some new method to deliver trojans and other viruses to my computer? Anyone have any ideas?
      Hi Priest,
      I have had the exact same thing. I have even had emails returned to me as undelieverable....except I never sent it. I have heard that some viruses/worms/programs can come off the net and use your computer to send out emails. I think yours and mine may have this problem. I have a virus detector and a pop up blocker but I guess they did not work. I would love to hear from anybody how to stop this.

Comment

it's just spam. i get about 50 of those a day. nothing you can do about it.
        "Speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own Michael Moore, as their representative American, someone who actually embodies all of those qualities." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I would still like to hear from our IT experts, but, one thought that occured to me was that it was just to see if an email address was valid.

Comment

There can be a number of causes, most common of which is that somebody who has you in their address book has been virused. The names in this address book are then used to spoof the sending address in new e-mails which transmit the infection. This leads to the claims of "You sent me a virus" from somebody you have never emailed.

Regarding the content, you should say that there was none visible in the viewing window. It is possible to send malicious content in what appears to be an empty email, so beware. It is also possible to get an empty email when a mail server scans and deletes malicious code from emails. Normally though the whole e-mail is quarentined and you get an e-mail notice sent to you explaining this has happened. I usually ignore these because they arise from the first incidence I described above.

Either way I recommend that your antivirus software should be set to quarentine any e-mail with no text in the body. Don't even attempt to look at it.

Comment

I've been getting a few of these empty emails too. Maybe one every few weeks or so.

Comment

Thanks for the advice John, I have my antivirus scanning my emails, so I will change the rule concerning null emails.

Comment

Thanks again John, I thought that you might like to know what I found. When I went to my email antivirus scan I found that there was a duplicate copy of my primary email address and that duplicate was not being scanned by my antivirus program. So I ran my antivirus and found the trojan ByteVerify on my computer. Thanks again John.

Comment

Ouch - keep updated and scan regularly.

Also note today's Windows update for a DirectX exploit.

Comment

It had another benifit, that Sokets De Trois problem that I was having seems to have cleared up as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                        Berlin.1945
                        by casanova
                        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                        Yesterday, 23:41
                      • casanova
                        AW 169M
                        by casanova
                        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                        Yesterday, 23:26
                      • JBark
                        What changed?
                        by JBark
                        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                        Yesterday, 18:54
                      Working...
                      X