The End of Muqtada Al-Sadr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Muqtada Al-Sadr?

Much of the speech by Iraqi premier Allawi today was about the plan to disband the anti-Saddam militias (100,000 strong) and to assimilate them into the new Iraq military & police forces or civilian jobs.

However, Al-Sadr's anti-American Islamists are not included in the list of groups to be disbanded because Iraqis want to deal with him in a different way. Today in the afteroon his group will be declared an illegal criminal organization, possibly leading to the arrest of Al-Sadr and others around him. Al-Sadr will be also forbidden to ever hold office in Iraq which will be a severe blow to his political ambitions. The guy had wanted office and leadership of Iraq from the beginning. That's what his uprising was all about.

I hope this can be carried out because it would represent a great victory of secularism & democracy over religious fanaticism and terrorism.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 07 Jun 04, 09:49.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

We will see how this affects the situation in the future, I like watching history, this should be an interesting turn of events!
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Yep. I don't know how they're going to arrest him though. The CPA couldn't do it without incurring unacceptable collateral damage (making the whole venture rather unproductive).
      "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Now the Iraqi (quasi)democracy has an enemy, that's sure...
        I think some kind of bribery would be better...
        a brain cell

Comment

I hope the Islamic radicals will become the pariahs of the Iraqi society which is their right place in any society. They are preventing progress and good international relations around the world, not just Iraq.

In Iran the ruling theocracy is already becomming uneasy about the democratic developments next door; they're giving frantic speeches condemning the "puppet" government in Iraq. They are avoiding the fact that this ragtag group is already working on true democratic elections. And no, radical Islam will never dominate Iraqi politics in my opinion; it will become just one of many political parties. The Iraqis have not suffered so much hardship to hand all the power to another Great Leader, secular or religious.
          Last edited by MonsterZero; 07 Jun 04, 12:41.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Time to let them deal with things on their own. 30 June can't get here fast enough!

Comment

I don't think it will work out very good, though I support the way of secularism...
              "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
              which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
              The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
              returned to its home base."

Comment

Originally posted by mr_clark
                I don't think it will work out very good, though I support the way of secularism...
                I doubt it will myself. However, it is for Iraq to decide, at least until they screw it up enough to marginally justify another US invasion.

As for Sadr, it was counterproductive to issue a warrant against him. If anything, the CPA just provided him with the political credibility he could not obtain otherwise. His political motivations are very transparent and undermines his significance as a religious leader. While I understand his militia had to be addressed, but the route taken focused too much on Al-Sadr himself.
                Last edited by Deltapooh; 07 Jun 04, 13:59.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                  I doubt it will myself. However, it is for Iraq to decide, at least until they screw it up enough to marginally justify another US invasion.

Good one!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X