Could you be kind enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you be kind enough

I watched the D Day celebration since yesterday evening. I heard the different speech of all participants.

I would like to know all that was dicerned by you and by your countries.

Thank in advance

Jean-Luc
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

All D-Day ceremonies were broadcasted in Canada live from Normandy on the French and English all-news national channels, starting at 3:00 in the morning due to the time lag. It was again re-broadcasted this afternoon, and I have watched the international ceremony and the Canadian one.

The international one at Arromanches was great, with an emotional multimedia show. Nicely done. President Chirac gave the Legion d'honneur medal to 14 individual soldiers, coming from each of the 14 Allied nations. All major leaders were there, Chirac, Bush, Blair, Putin, Shroeder...

The Canadian ceremony at Courseulle-sur-Mer was sober. Queen Elizabeth II, the Canadian Governor General, and the Canadian Prime Minister made speeches and review the Canadian guard. A vintage bomber and 2 fighters from WWII flew over the ceremony at the some point, very impressive.

Here in Canada, there was also numerous ceremonies with war veterans, the major one being hold in Ottawa. I saw another one in Quebec city.

Comment

Jean-Luc:

Since you asked, and since I have a few minutes before I have to run off to work....

Most of the 60th Anniversary coverage I saw yesterday was on CBC as well...since I live less than 5 miles from the Canadian border, CBC comes with our cable package. This isn't to say that there was no coverage by any of the American networks at all, but I noticed it first on CBC and generally stayed with it unitl I had to go to work yesterday.

I know that C-Span replayed the bulk of the American remembrance at Colleville-sur-Mer on a delayed basis, but what little I saw on the major networks was a story of a few minutes during the morning news programs. Most of the coverage on those shows wound up being dedicated to the passing of our former President Reagan however.

I'll reiterate that I didn't get a chance to see what the History Channel offered up, for example, nor what was covered during the evening news or in primetime on the networks....if anyone could be so kind to enlighten me, I'd be appreciative!

John

Comment

On the Discovery Channel was only one hour not very good archive film. Their focus was on the Brits.

CNN was divided between Reagen and D-day, but the expert historian was not very good (Douglas Brinkley, I saw he made a lot of book, but the statements he made in the TV was just not true). Their focus was on the American troops.

Generally the Hungarian TV was not really focused on D-day, we had many other WWII interest which is closer to the Hungarians.

I expected more on TVs, but (however it was an important, heroic, and deadly) it was one of the many important battles of WWII.
        a brain cell

Comment

The 60th anniversary was not as celebrated in Australia, in my opinion, as much as it was in N.America and Western Europe. Our focus at the time was towards Japan although some australians, i think 3000 has been suggested, were involved in the operation. So you can understand our apathy towards it. We have our Anzac day which pretty much covers all of our conflicts.
          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Well, here in Germany it we had some life broadcasts from the French "party" and a couple of History-Series concerning WW2 on TV for some weeks now and well ,that's generally it.
            "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
            which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
            The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
            returned to its home base."

Comment

Well I only have basic channels that I get throught an antena so I don't have much of a selection. I was disapointed on how little there was concerning D-Day on the TV. I saw a few short segments on the world news but that was about it. I think that there was a special with Peter Jennings or one of those news guys but I didn't get to watch it.

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

On Finnish national tv (YLE) there was a long dramatized documentary about the D-Day, in which both sides were presented. A German veteran, one of the two lone survivors of the frontline bunkers at Omaha beach, reminisced how he shot over 10,000 bullets with his machine gun during the first 7.5 hours of the battle, and couldn't just believe how Americans kept pushing forward through all of that hail of fire.
                “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

on dutch TV it was only mentioned a couple of times on TV....

Belgian [flemmish] tv payed ALOT of attention to it, i believe their 2nd station, [forgot the name] payed attention to it all day long..a documentary about the war in origional colour film from the german perspective was playing when i woke up, they even had private Eva Braun footage.
                  French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

We have an election this year, and our beloved Prime Minister is milking D-Day for all it is worth. This is not to say the population is not interested, with 2 of our major TV stations showing various WWII programs ('America at War' and 'World at War') and all TV stations showing some sort of documentary on D-Day.

As Temujin pointed out we are not so much Europe focussed. Everyone is aware that apart from Aussies who joined up with the RAF, the Royal Navy and the very few in the British Army, we were interested in North Africa and the Japanese conflict. So for this reason it is ANZAC day that is our major event.
                    We in Australia are very proud of our soldiers, as all nations should be, so there is still a large swell of pride in the community and no lack of awareness.

Getting back to D-Day though, our Prime minister has to justify going to war when at one time 80% of our population was against the Invasion of Iraq; he is trying to show that he is a strong leader and accepted in the international community, and D-Day has given him a platform. Pity the European leaders just know him as the "short bald guy with a stupid accent". I am not sure that his attempts to be the #1 mate of the Aussie Digger has paid off... we, as a nation, have a reasonable ability to see through bullshit
                    Legion's ASL AARs

Comment

Originally posted by Legion
                      ... we, as a nation, have a reasonable ability to see through bullshit
                      Also note that at one time a very significant majority supported the Iraq adventure. Don't think for one minute that the troops were over there with only 20% support.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik Yerbouti
                        On Finnish national tv (YLE) there was a long dramatized documentary about the D-Day, in which both sides were presented. A German veteran, one of the two lone survivors of the frontline bunkers at Omaha beach, reminisced how he shot over 10,000 bullets with his machine gun during the first 7.5 hours of the battle, and couldn't just believe how Americans kept pushing forward through all of that hail of fire.
                        i also saw this soldier in a documentary it was said that after running out of ammo with his machine gun he took his rifle and went ou firing on us soldiers even when all german left he stayed there because he was told so by his officer, during this time he killed and wounded a lot of guys, he managed to escape at the end of the day but later he was made prisoner, he didn't stay a prisoner for a long time ( around 1 year i think) and when he came back to germany he bought a book about operation overlord in which were described all the soldiers who were killed during the debarquement, he recognized a soldier he had fired on and he decided to send him a letter but as the us soldier was in germany the letter came back to the german, hopefully later he managed to meet the us soldier and he told him he was the german having wounded him during the debarquement, the us soldier who had become a priest began to talk with him and since that day they are very good friends now , that's one of the best story i have heard about ww2
                        looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

For me the most noteable thing about the speeches was something that Bush said. I think that all Americans need to be reminded (especially now) that France was America's very first friend in the world and France was our friend when we needed friends the most. As for D-Day I'm sure that to a lot of GI's, it was a pleasure to help out an old friend.

Comment

For us here this celebration was a huge event, may be a way to tell US friends we love you, we will never forget

Jean-Luc
                            The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
                            JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
                            The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                              For us here this celebration was a huge event, may be a way to tell US friends we love you, we will never forget

Jean-Luc
                              It is true that there were a lot of documentary on tv. A new thing this year is the fact that the media in general spoke a lot about the German veterans and the presence of Schroder in Normandy.

LaPalice.
                              Monsieur de La Palice est mort
                              Mort devant Pavie.
                              Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
                              Il était encore en vie...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X