Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronald Reagan is dead

Just posted on CNN
    Former President Ronald Reagan died Saturday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 93. At least two of his children and his wife, Nancy, were at his bedside, according to the former president's Los Angeles office.

http://www.cnn.com/

At least two of his children and his wife, Nancy, were at his bedside, according to the former president's Los Angeles office.

Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Davis -- children from his current marriage to Nancy Davis Reagan -- were with him, the office said.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
    Just posted on CNN
    Former President Ronald Reagan died Saturday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 93. At least two of his children and his wife, Nancy, were at his bedside, according to the former president's Los Angeles office.

http://www.cnn.com/

At least two of his children and his wife, Nancy, were at his bedside, according to the former president's Los Angeles office.

Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Davis -- children from his current marriage to Nancy Davis Reagan -- were with him, the office said.
    Take him, Lord, to be at your right hand. Ronald Reagan will stand as one of the greatest leaders of modern times.

Rest in Peace, President Reagan

Comment

Best wishes to his family - America just lost a warrior
      Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

The words of the Great Communicator are fitting at this moment.

"The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God." - President Ronald Reagan Challenger Tradegy Address to Nation
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

A great man. Rest in peace.
          "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
          "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

I will always remeber him as the symbol of America of my dreams when I was still stuck in communist Europe in the 1980s marvelling at the power, charm and charisma of the man's personality. This country is so much like him: strong and decisive yet charming at the same time.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
              I will always remeber him as the symbol of America of my dreams when I was still stuck in communist Europe in the 1980s marvelling at the power, charm and charisma of the man's personality. This country is so much like him: strong and decisive yet charming at the same time.
              Well, Reagan's legacy is going to be a source of debate for many years to come.

Reagan's greatest strength was the fact that he embraced the true strength of the Presidency; the ability to convince people to support his policies. If you look at the Constitution, you'll find the power of the President is not explained in detail. Reagan didn't turn to new laws to provide him greater strength. Instead, he communicated to people his vision, and convinced them to support it.

Beyond that, things get really controversial. Reagan is justly given credit for his critical role in ending communism, but the cost, both in lives and money, continue to be questioned. Soldiers today in Afghanistan are fighting an enemy Reagan helped train and support.

Reagan's legacy will tragically lack his own indepth insight. His illness robbed himself/family, and history of years of reflection that can only be provided by the man who is at his end. Thus, there will always be room for debate.

What I think people will remember most about Reagan is his character. That is what defined him. They will remember the man who insisted on walking into the emergency room after being shot. They will recall him laying on a table and telling emergency staff that he hoped they were all Republicans. They will remember a man who once told aides that he would fake a heartattack on his horse just to see how fast reporters could make it down an observation hill overlooking his estate. People will remember Reagan's words and what they made them feel like.
              "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

My condolences go out to the American people.
                He left a great legacy.
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles and Das Reich Design Team Member
                  DAS REICH CAMPAIGN, and THE SPWaW ICON GUIDE AVAILABLE AT: The SP:WaW Depot
                  In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.

Comment

RIP President Reagan.

Comment

1. Playing chicken with nuclear weapons.
                      2. Injecting an alarming degree of nationalism into American politics.

I'm one person hoping his legacy doesn't linger too long.

Not even going to touch his domestic legacy, despite the fact that much of it affects me (still). It seems one has to be American to be allowed to do that here.
                      "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Yup Gotta agree with MikeJ on that one...

Sure this guy was the one who assisted in the fall of Communist Russia, but it was straining under the weight of its own doom anyway.

I think that considering the current circumstances it might be more important to remember that he was the man who paid for Osama Bin Laden's training and weapons, who escalated the Iraq/Iran War by suppliing both sides and hence contributing to one of the biggest region destabilisations in modern times. We shall be paying for his blunders in the Middle East and in a small way South America for a long time.

Ronald Regan did, it is true, breathe life and purpose into the US, but with such a taint of nationalism and untra-conservatism that i wonder if the US will ever be able to be free of his version of freedom?

Any death is a time for mourning, whether it be Ronald Regan, Saddaam Hussein, Saint Fransis De Assisi or the little old lady down the road... but i do not mourn him for what he achieved.
                        Legion's ASL AARs

Comment

I liked the man, but not the politician.

He had a great sense of humour and was able to joke at his own expense too, a good sign. He never displayed arrogance but at the same time upheld the dignity of his office.

He was a conservative on family matters, there I could agree.

He had Irish roots and appreciated them, but didn't make a fetish out it.

But in economics he was too much under the influence of more ruthless and greedy forces. It's true economics is a difficult one to get right and please everyone but his were not to my taste. Too much time for the fat cats and not the less well off.

He did it is true give Americans a restored sense of pride and self confidence and that was good. He could communicate with the people in way more sofisticated and smoother politicans could not.

Abroad his support for the Contras brought the US a lot of criticism and deservedly so.

In the Iran/Iraq War he eventually supported Saddam once it became clear that not to do so would bring an Iranian Victory. It was a case of the lesser of two evils. Now that is realpolitik in action.
                          Trouble is it makes a nonsense out of the recent ''Moral Crusade'' against the very same Saddam for his brutal treatment of his own people and attacking his neighbours.

As for giving military spare parts to the Iranians!

His stance against the ''Evil Empire'' won him Kudos in some quarters but it was a dangerous game to play. He upped the ante against the SU to a level not seen since the 50's. As it turned out that State was begining to implode under it's own contradictions anyway. But that is hindsight, he was playing with fire there, things could have got sticky.

The decision to support the Afghani fighters against what was in effect the invasion of their country was a good move. Not that anyone cared too much about the internal sufferings there. However it did mean the Soviet Army would be facing it's own Vietnam to some degree and also proved to be an Albatross around the Soviets'neck.

The fact that most of the Afghani militants were hard line Muslims mattered not a whit. In international politics you make your friends where you can find them.

Hey he even made friends with Maggie Thatcher!

So goodby Ronald. We didn't always agree at times but you were fun to watch ( through a TV screen that is )
                          http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

I dont mean to sound crass, but is anyone actually that surprised???

I mean 93 ferchrissakes!

to be honest, he may have been a great man, but I'm sure glad we don't fawn over our politicians like the Yanks do.
                            Now listening too;
                            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
                              I dont mean to sound crass, but is anyone actually that surprised???

I mean 93 ferchrissakes!

to be honest, he may have been a great man, but I'm sure glad we don't fawn over our politicians like the Yanks do.
                              We don't "fawn" over politicians. However we DO recognize greatness and great leaders. Without these great leaders, D-Day never would have happened, and the Wall would still be there as a reminder that the Cold War remains.

At least we aren't beholden to a queen thousands of miles away!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X