advice/suggestions - desert living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice/suggestions - desert living

I'm looking for advice and suggestions regarding desert living, in Iraq. Figure it is better to ask than regret not asking...and guessing this to be a pretty good place to do so. Mainly looking for things that you found necessary or helpful that wasn't on your list of things to bring -- on the presumption of living in a tent-city as a civilian for an extended period.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks!

Heinz57

WATER, WATER and oh yeah WATER!

A good variety of clothing for freezing and stinking hot but always long sleeve shirts!
    Light coloured clothing.
    Hat, a very good one with max cover, not just a cap.
    Sunglasses
    Goat Saddle
    Sunscreen
    Personal water container

You want to also have diet in mind, in cold climates you need a healthy supply of fats, but in warmer conditions it not so important more important is watery fruits melons, oranges and carbo's. Plus to keep your eloctrolytes in check it doesnt hurt to carry some powdered Gatorade type products, theyre light and make up quiet a few litres. make sure you have some once or even twice a day just to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.

Always have water nearby, Always stop do drink, especially when you first get there and are aclimatising, even after that always drink water, constantly(depending on temp of course). One indicator you arn't getting enough water and it is begining to get dangerous is urine, keep an eye on it, you dont want it to be too dark, you want it to be clear with the yellow tinge. If it is dark and gives a slight burning sensation get plenty of fluids in ya and keep it up for the rest of the day.

Another danger signal is your temper and concentration levels, if you start getting short tempered and unable to concentrate well its a sure sign you have reached the next phase towards heat stroke, so be aware of it dont rip your buddies head of get in the shade for a bit and get some fluids into you.

What are you going to be involved in while you are there?

Also what sorts of climates are you used to living in?

If you have never experience the desert before there are many tips to making it a more comfortable and safe experience, i can't remember everything right now but ill post as i go.

BTW did i mention WATER!

and another thing if you find yourself in a position where you have rely on local water supplies, like wells, check it as best you can for carrion, no dead animals in it, youll be emptying your guts quick time if you drink it and also try to be aware of the salt content, if it seems brackish keep away from it or drink little amounts at a time if its a desperate situation.

A good trick i have never had to do but its a well known thing to expand your current water supply in a survival situation is to **** in your water, not to much you want it to be diluted but if you do it you may last that extra day or two.
    Last edited by Temujin; 26 May 04, 21:43.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Watch out for these little buggers
      Attached Files
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
        ERKKK!! WTF are they?
        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Some advice I've picked up:

1. It takes about two weeks for the body to become accustomed to the temperature and exposure.

2. Wear loose clothing to help reduce sweat loss. Sweat on the skin can actually help keep the body cool. Don't get careless because the day is cloudy. The sun is more powerful. You have to protect your skin.

3. Wind is also not a good friend in the desert. Keep covered and have lip salves and skin cream handy.

3. Drink small amounts of water often instead of large quanities at once. Learn how to pre-drink. That is, you consume more water than you need if you are planning on being exposed for a long period of time. Also, remember when you sweat, you loose salt.

These are off the top of my head. I might be sent to Iraq and have been studying some of this stuff. (Although, if I do go, I doubt I'll be in a tent.)
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn
            Have no ideal what the hell that thing is, or how dangerous it might be, but it has KILL ON SIGHT written all over it.
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh

2. Wear loose clothing to help reduce sweat loss. Sweat on the skin can actually help keep the body cool. Don't get careless because the day is cloudy. The sun is more powerful. You have to protect your skin.
              On this note i have found the best combination to be a comfortably tight fitting Tshirt or singlet/vest under a loose cotton shirt. you will sweat onto the undergarment and any evaporation will have a colling effect and you will loose less water. if you dont have something underneath you will loose alot of the sweat due to runoff and it is less efficient in cooling and saving fluids.

Comment

Have no ideal what the hell that thing is, or how dangerous it might be, but it has KILL ON SIGHT written all over it.
                I think it is 2 arachnid type things, notice 16 legs and two abdomens. They look scary and thats saying something from an Australian who has lived in the desert with all its bitey things

Comment

but it has KILL ON SIGHT written all over it.
                  Preferrably with fire, IMHO......
                  "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Everyone has covered most of the major points. One thing to remember is a decent jacket, the desert can frequently drop more then 50 degrees at night.
                    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

BTW if you or anyone else are interested in reading some stuff on survival in all terrains this is a good book to study http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...64839?v=glance

Comment

Those are 2x camel spiders, zoomed in real close. But they're still big-fast too!

-A 5 gal plastic bucket, buckets are always good to have, laundry, bathing, etc.
                        -laundry detergent tablets-never know when you'll have to wash your own clothes (see bucket above)
                        -colapsible canvas fold up chair
                        -antibiotic baby wipes
                        -gatorade powder
                        -parachute cord or some type of heavy line to hang stuff on
                        -some basic med supplies-antibiotic cream, pain reliever, iodine, bandages, etc.
                        -mosquito net
                        -100 mph tape
                        -batteries
                        -small, portable cd player

good luck!
                        P
                        Last edited by Saber 12; 26 May 04, 22:55.

Comment

Thank you all very much Gentlemen!

Temujin, mostly I'll be involved in warehouse work. Nothing exciting, but was advised it'll be at a new camp and to be prepared for tent living. I've worked some temperature extremes, below zero to 110 deg...this will be significantly hotter than anything I've experienced though.

Shopping time Actually had several of the items recommended, may double stock. May not be on too many more times, but again gentlemen, I very much appreciate your recommendations!

and am putting them to use!

Heinz57

Comment

And don't forget the weapons, and bulletproof things (I am serious).

A standard equipments for civilian in iraq:
                            Attached Files
                            a brain cell

Comment

I can't believe no one mentioned condoms. I here there's a booming sex business over there!

Actually, put it over the tipp of your "weapon" to keep out the nastie! Umm, wait, ...okay it works for that kind of nasty on that kind of weapon too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X