Great influence
    10.00%
    mean influence
    20.00%
    few influence
    40.00%
    doesn't count at all
    30.00%
    Last edited by jlbetin; 26 May 04, 08:43.
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

don't think it is going to change my life a lot.
    looking forward to the new version of toaw

Comment

1. Of course yes.
      2. In Strasbourg precisely? A huge waste of European taxpayers' money. The Parliament should be located in a single city, Brussels being the logical choice. Swapping between two cities for matters of <French> national pride is a nonsense from any point of view.
        That said, as long as it cannot raise taxes and decide on policy matters, the Euopean Parliament will remain a political non-entity, i.e. nothing - importants matters are discussed and decided elsewhere, be it national governements, the Commission or whatever political/administrative body fits best.
      3. Main influence the Parliament exerts is through the administrative normatives it lavishly pours on us, helpless citizens . It has less influence on my everyday life than my city council and mayor. There at least decisions are taken for which I know who I can hold accountable for.

Comment

Really Nemo? My wife is Austrian and told me recently that some large percent of all law applying to Austria now comes out of the EU. I don't remember the %, but around 50 seems close. Maybe its just behind the scenes stuff, agriculture and what not that no one pays attention to. Dunno.
        Even Jesus will never forgive what you do - Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenfresser
          Really Nemo? My wife is Austrian and told me recently that some large percent of all law applying to Austria now comes out of the EU. I don't remember the %, but around 50 seems close. Maybe its just behind the scenes stuff, agriculture and what not that no one pays attention to. Dunno.
          For the french parliament 60% of laws voted each year are adoption or adaptation to EU rules

Der WanderProEuropeanUnion
          JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

National parliaments are supposed to "translate" EU legislation (mainly behind the scene stuff as you hinted at) into national laws and regulations. This is only partially done in France. The problem here is that entire parts of the EU legislation remain stranded somewhere down the legislative body schedule. Quite surprisingly, more often than not delayed legislations, if passed, would **** off some share of the government's electoral supporters.
            For instance, EU (de)regulations concerning energy were hastily put into legislative action (officialy because 'Europe' said so, more to the point because it allowed for the privatization of the national public energy company). On the other hand, game hunting european regulations are year-round superbly ignored for fear of seing the agrarian / hunter vote go somewhere else.
            EU is a good thing to promote as far as it serves strictly national, partisan and short-term interests in this country. No first-rank politician today has the stature to go beyond that. Hopefully vote (and more probably age) will bring younger politicians to the forefront, with a different set of mind. Until then, the political influence of the EP will remain next to zero and it will be confined to paperwork and administrative trivia.
            Maybe political leaders in Austria approach these questions with a different perspective and Austrians in general are more receptive to EU issues...
            At least there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
              1. Of course yes.
              2. In Strasbourg precisely? A huge waste of European taxpayers' money. The Parliament should be located in a single city, Brussels being the logical choice. Swapping between two cities for matters of <French> national pride is a nonsense from any point of view.
                That said, as long as it cannot raise taxes and decide on policy matters, the Euopean Parliament will remain a political non-entity, i.e. nothing - importants matters are discussed and decided elsewhere, be it national governements, the Commission or whatever political/administrative body fits best.
              3. Main influence the Parliament exerts is through the administrative normatives it lavishly pours on us, helpless citizens . It has less influence on my everyday life than my city council and mayor. There at least decisions are taken for which I know who I can hold accountable for.
              Non non non zero pointé.

On your everyday the influence is hidden but strengfull, by instance

- The Shengen space:
              The national borders exist no more our borders are the most external borders of other EU countries. European citizen are free to move inside the Shengen space

- The Rules on Water:
              in my mother house in "Loir et Cher" department, we have the obligation to stop the use of septic tank. All used water must pass through the water treatment plant

- Relationship with other countries and treaty:
              acceptance of US claim about European Air Companies about their travellers files

- Rules about copyright and brevet for computer software or right of ownership, right to disassemble software.

-Censorship power against Brussel comission

and many others look here
              http://www.europarl.eu.int/presentation/default_en.htm

Der WanderViveL'Europe

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the EP is more of a political whipping post in Austria than in France. Much of Haider's early success was culled out of lambasting Brussels, etc, even though 99% of what he said was cynical populism designed to rake in conservative, countryside votes. He road to some 25+% on that ticket.

Thanks for the insight into EP inner workings; I think this whole process is fascinating.
                Even Jesus will never forgive what you do - Bob Dylan

Comment

The European Parliament has at the moment only limited effect on our lives. But this will change if current trends continue. At the moment negotiations are under way to bring about a European Constitution which the Irish Taoiseach ( Prime Minister) as the current holder of the European Presidency, is trying to bring about. All indications are that sooner or later, there will emerge a post of European President that has real executive powers. He/she will be accountable to the European Parliament for their actions.

It is true that a large % of our laws now have to be in line with European standards. However till now these guidelines have been imlemented by the National Parliaments. There is no ''European Law'' as such that I am aware of.

In the future it looks like Laws will be proposed by a European Executive ( elected by Parliament ) and implemented under direct rule from Brussels or Strasbourg.

Thinking about a European Capital today as it so happens. I propose Prague. Much more central and a lot cheaper I am sure.

However whether we Europeans really want to be ruled by ''Europe'' is an open question.

Personally I prefer to elect and be ruled by a Parliament sitting in Dublin. That way my vote counts for more. The idea of the sovereign Parliament being situated hundred of miles away in which the Irish are just bit players is not I think to the long term advantage of this part of Ireland. Or the other part either

I will however vote!
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
                    Non non non zero pointé.
                    Hé Jean-Luc, on n'est plus à l'école

- The Shengen space:
                    The national borders exist no more our borders are the most external borders of other EU countries. European citizen are free to move inside the Shengen space
                    That is probably why my car was thorougly searched at the franco-spanish border last spring...

- The Rules on Water:
                    in my mother house in "Loir et Cher" department, we have the obligation to stop the use of septic tank. All used water must pass through the water treatment plant
                    Rules and obligations are only as valid as the (national) authority in charge of enforcing them : talk of that to the inhabitants of Brittany who have to drink bottled water only due to water resources being polluted by intensive pork raising, among other things.

- Relationship with other countries and treaty:
                    acceptance of US claim about European Air Companies about their travellers files
                    The EU as an effective means of imposing something on the international stage or even negotiate taking into account the itnerests of its own citizens? A debatable point at least.
                    - Rules about copyright and brevet for computer software or right of ownership, right to disassemble software.
                    Still in the making as of today - I would not bet on the EU/EP on this one against the US and the international corporations though.
                    Der WanderViveL'Europe
                    I agree with you on this but unless drastic changes are introduced (read : effective federalization) there is no way we are going to get very far with the EU. Under the present political conditions, it will remaina peaceful free-market zone, a vast Zollverein with near to zero political influence. Sure our living standards will improve or at least not deteriorate too much but we will still be a non-power.
                    The EP will gain real influence if and when the EU will be endowed with state attributes : having an effective and elected executive body, an elected legislative body passing laws directly without national medaition, a juridictional body enforcing the law. Within that political frame the EP could exert a real influence and discuss what is really at stake for the EU and not be restricted to administrative and sometimes byzantine regulations and paperwork.

Probably some ranting on my part but I am sick and tired of seeing politicians of all flavours endlessly praising / condemning the EU and doing nothing effective about it and remaining exclusively focused on their short-term and often demagogical goals.

Comment

Nemo,

About our ******** politicians I agree 100%
                      Thou iare right, we are no more at school , a youth trauma maybe.
                      EP has a colaborative LAW making process with the Brussel comission. They have a bugdet management and control too concerning the European funds now.

That's the begining, Rome ne s'est pas faite en un jour !

What's fun is that some of our US friends have votes telling EP has no influence on their lives, but EP works on WTC decision too so more or lees there is a small influence on US citizen life. But less as the US one have upon us .

Bon vote citoyen

Der WanderAVoté

Comment

a youth trauma maybe
                        Possibly Eurovision-related?

Comment

Possibly Eurovision-related?
                          NON JE DETESTE CE MACHIN DEPUIS TOUT PETIT

Was probably the teachers,
                          At the age of 7, as I was left handed, my "institutrice" took a small rope and tie my left hand in my back to oblige me to write with the good hand the right one
                          Clever no !!!!

Der WanderStillLeftHanded

Comment

I agree with you on this but unless drastic changes are introduced (read : effective federalization) there is no way we are going to get very far with the EU. Under the present political conditions, it will remaina peaceful free-market zone, a vast Zollverein with near to zero political influence. Sure our living standards will improve or at least not deteriorate too much but we will still be a non-power....
                            Sounds great! I will go vote for that!
                            "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
                            "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

1. yes

2. not negative nor positive
                              3. atm average
                              Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
                              soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...