How has everyone else screwed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has everyone else screwed up?

Since we discussed the Bush Administrations constant screw ups to death, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what other countries/institutions have done to screw up the worlds diplomatic situation. Let me get everyone started:

1. Chirac threatens Eastern European countries if they don't support France on Iraq.
    2. French Foreign minister lying to Colin Powell about France's position on the war.
    3. French and German use of Anti-American propaganda to maintain political power in their countries. Sounds very similar to the Middle East if you ask me.
    4. UN's oil for food scandal.

Hmmm....what else is out there?

Brian

I think your #4 is going to be the next big thing. Just think approx 10% of
    10-12 billion dollars was skimmed off - of course those non-American countries
    are rapidly clamoring to disclose the arrangements - NOT! This is the reason that most Americans disdain the UN - again & again these players profit
    for personal use - ie someone's son
    Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by Scully
      Since we discussed the Bush Administrations constant screw ups to death, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what other countries/institutions have done to screw up the worlds diplomatic situation. Let me get everyone started:

1. Chirac threatens Eastern European countries if they don't support France on Iraq.
      2. French Foreign minister lying to Colin Powell about France's position on the war.
      3. French and German use of Anti-American propaganda to maintain political power in their countries. Sounds very similar to the Middle East if you ask me.
      4. UN's oil for food scandal.

Hmmm....what else is out there?

Brian
      The only thing that can really be accomplished by pointing out the flaws of other governments is reminding everyone America is more of a follower than leader; which given our capabilities is very frightening.
      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
        The only thing that can really be accomplished by pointing out the flaws of other governments is reminding everyone America is more of a follower than leader; which given our capabilities is very frightening.
        Hey DP,

I hear what you're saying, but I'd be interested to hear about other nation's mishaps.

Honestly, I don't follow foreign media too much and would be interested to hear what else is going on out there...regardless of whether it relates to the US or not. There is quite a bit of discussion here about both US foreign policy and US domestic policy, but very little about other nations.

In addition, I just get tired of the all the US is wrong and GW Bush is an idot discussions. I'd like to see everyone point their guns somewhere else for a bit.

Take care,
        Brian

Comment

Well blame media saturation of US events for that, outside of Australia i only know what happens in the US. we get squat media on any other countries in comparison and i can't think of anything australia has done of late that doesnt tie into US policy anyway, thats how our government is. If anyone can think of an Australian situation id be glad to discuss it, sorry i cant think of any, maybew i need it pointed out to me.
          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
            Well blame media saturation of US events for that, outside of Australia i only know what happens in the US. we get squat media on any other countries in comparison and i can't think of anything australia has done of late that doesnt tie into US policy anyway, thats how our government is. If anyone can think of an Australian situation id be glad to discuss it, sorry i cant think of any, maybew i need it pointed out to me.
            Read a book, take a walk, revel in the wonder of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
              Read a book, take a walk, revel in the wonder of nature.
              no i dont read books i just watch commercial news stations
              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
                no i dont read books i just watch commercial news stations
                I feel sorry for you. Books can actually help you get smarter,.../and from the low quality of your recent posting, I'd say you need to eat more bananas and read about 3,000 books. Until then, you should really think about laying low for a bit.

(BTW, yes, I say the rolling eyes, but I think you were letting-on more than you realize! )

Comment

Australia's 'illegal immigrants'

This is a very one sided report but you get the idea. The Aussie media doesn't give much coverage to them, although people generally feel that the kids should be released into the local community while their parents are 'processed'.

http://article.wn.com/link/WNAT828D6.../headlines.txt

Some of the claims against these people are that they're economic refugees, because many have come from Afghanistan (now 'safe') and Pakistan, and have travelled through a number of safe Muslim countries, including Malaysia and Indonesia before paying 'People Smugglers' several thousand dollars for the trip to Australia. They are allowed full access to the legal system, and it's lengthy appeals process( tax-payer funded) which often lasts many years.

Anyone interested in finding out some of the background set as it was during a period where fear of Muslims was fairly general and allowed John Howard to win an almost 'unwinnable' election should look up the keywords TAMPA and NORWAY and AUSTRALIA, PEOPLE OVERBOARD SCANDAL, PEOPLE SMUGGLERS, PACIFIC ISLANDS SOLUTION and various combinations of these.

I for one have never protested the treatment of these people and I supported John Howard's "Strong" policies when he implemented them, and we have hardly seen any refugees since. Most people want them processed quickly and either given their visas or sent 'home'.

Comment

Its a big world wide problem these days, I wonder if its that policy that has held others back or the work of the federal police with the indonesians in stopping them.

Comment

I feel like a stinkin spy giving away this ammunition, but it's in the public domain so who gives a ****.

It's called Australia and Refugees 1901-2002 and includes that period mentioned up there. Just follow the links.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/o...s_contents.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpe
                        I feel like a stinkin spy giving away this ammunition, but it's in the public domain so who gives a ****.

It's called Australia and Refugees 1901-2002 and includes that period mentioned up there. Just follow the links.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/o...s_contents.htm
                        Just don't mention the white australia policy, oops!

Comment

while having kids in detention is no good thing, I think it sends the proper msg.

I understand these people are trying to escape oppression and what have you, but there are a lot of others who are too and have gone through the RIGHT CHANNELS - they've been waiting longer in foreign countries whilst the Australian govt verifies their claims of legitimacy - and you know what, civil libertarians get all worked up when we send them back - after they've been rejected!

If people use the argument that we only accept a small amount each year, then fine, accept more - but not those who arrive here illegally, and take the place of others that have done the right thing.

If we don;t have some restrictions in place, then our Navy just becomes a glorified Coast Guard chasing sinking fishing boats.

Nothing against immigrants, but if some poor family have been stuck in Pakistan for 5 years whilst waiting to be processed (and I personally know people who this happened to), and then gets passed over for some (richer) person who could afford to pay people smugglers to to bring them over, then I'm all for just using the boats as target practice for the Navy - save money on targets drones, and keep the borders secure

win-win situation
                          Now listening too;
                          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
                            while having kids in detention is no good thing, I think it sends the proper msg.

I understand these people are trying to escape oppression and what have you, but there are a lot of others who are too and have gone through the RIGHT CHANNELS - they've been waiting longer in foreign countries whilst the Australian govt verifies their claims of legitimacy - and you know what, civil libertarians get all worked up when we send them back - after they've been rejected!

If people use the argument that we only accept a small amount each year, then fine, accept more - but not those who arrive here illegally, and take the place of others that have done the right thing.

If we don;t have some restrictions in place, then our Navy just becomes a glorified Coast Guard chasing sinking fishing boats.

Nothing against immigrants, but if some poor family have been stuck in Pakistan for 5 years whilst waiting to be processed (and I personally know people who this happened to), and then gets passed over for some (richer) person who could afford to pay people smugglers to to bring them over, then I'm all for just using the boats as target practice for the Navy - save money on targets drones, and keep the borders secure

win-win situation

You sure your not from Gosnells Ivan? Say hello to Jack for me!

I agree, just not as passionately as you do.

Comment

Anyone interested in visiting our scum of the earth here in WA, here they are:

http://www.anm-anwu.com/indexf.htm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X