Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Reportedly Kills 40 Iraqis at Party

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • U.S. Reportedly Kills 40 Iraqis at Party

    May 19, 1:14 PM EDT

    U.S. Reportedly Kills 40 Iraqis at Party

    By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI
    Associated Press Writer

    BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- A U.S. helicopter fired on a wedding party early Wednesday in western Iraq, killing more than 40 people, Iraqi officials said. The U.S. military said it could not confirm the report and was investigating.

    Lt. Col Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of the city of Ramadi, said between 42 and 45 people died in the attack, which took place about 2:45 a.m. in a remote desert area near the border with Syria and Jordan. He said those killed included 15 children and 10 women.

    Dr. Salah al-Ani, who works at a hospital in Ramadi, put the death toll at 45.

    Associated Press Television News obtained videotape showing a truck containing bodies of those allegedly killed. Most of the bodies were wrapped in blankets and other cloths, but the footage showed at least eight uncovered, bloody bodies, several of them children. One child was headless.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...B&SECTION=HOME

    If confirmed this could worsen the situatuation for US forces quite a lot.
    "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

    Henry Alfred Kissinger

  • #2
    I hope thats not true, but something tells me it is, looks like your wishes are becoming true MZ, happy?
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

    Comment


    • #3
      A "wedding party", at 2:45 AM with children?

      Unlikely, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Funny, though, I get a briefing of the past 24 hours of operations in Iraq, and funny, no mention of that particular "rumor".

      Also, just like the last "wedding party incident",...if you are firing weapons into the air in an area which has yet to be stabilized, well, you reap what you sow.

      And I don't want to hear anything about "tradition" with the weapons. What did they do before civilized people gave them "firesticks"? Probably threw rocks. I say they should consider putting the weapons away for the time being.

      Stupidity,...the multicultural affliction.
      Last edited by CPangracs; 19 May 04, 12:35.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CPangracs
        A "wedding party", at 2:45 AM with children?

        Unlikely, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Funny, though, I get a briefing of the past 24 hours of operations in Iraq, and funny, no mention of that particular "rumor".

        Also, just like the last "wedding party incident",...if you are firing weapons into the air in an area which has yet to be stabilized, well, you reap what you sow.

        And I don't want to hear anything about "tradition" with the weapons. What did they do before civilized people gave them "firesticks"? Probably threw rocks. I say they should consider putting the weapons away for the time being.

        Stupidity,...the multicultural affliction.
        Hey the children thing is not that rediculous, I mean I was at the wedding party of my aunt until 4 am when I was 6 and we live in a civilised country.

        Though I really admit that it's maybe the wrong time to fire guns but wasn't one rule of engagement to make clear at what you fire, at least this was in all field manuals I know, and killing forty people without looking is quite crazy...
        "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
        which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
        The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
        returned to its home base."

        Comment


        • #5
          CNN breaking news,

          and
          http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5013551/

          No result of the investingation thou
          a brain cell

          Comment


          • #6
            What makes you think they weren't looking? You ever look through a FLIR? IMO, a wedding party with guns firing can definitely look like a firefight or at least someone trying to engage your chopper.

            Look, the US is dead tired of trying to play by rules no one else wants to play by.

            The gloves are off. Make a stupid move like fire a gun in an area where you aren't even supposed to haveweapons, you should expect a little rocket-surprise.

            Also, why hasn't anyone brought-up the fact that they are so close to the Syrian border,...maybe a SYRIAN chopper did the damage?

            Anyway, I find it very suspect because the Army doesn't know anything about a chopper in an engagement like that. I'm sorry, but a chopper pouring rockets into a group of armed people at 0300 usually gets noticed.

            This one stinks to high Heaven. of a terrorist plot designed to sour American favor even further. Also, HOW IN THE HELL DO THEY KNOW IT WAS A HELICOPTER?!

            Anyone here ever even been around an Apache? They have to be right-up on you for you to hear them. Also, there are people claiming they were planes? Come on people, use your heads. This is all crap.
            Last edited by CPangracs; 19 May 04, 13:34.

            Comment


            • #7
              Those people, especially the males, are in need of psychiatric intervention; that's the whole problem. They come to weddings armed with Ak-47s, PKs and with grenades on their belts. A few months ago there was a story with a grenade coming off the belt as the guy was dancing. The bride and a bunch of people were killed.

              There must have been wild gunfire with tracer shooting into the sky, that's why the American pilot engaged them.

              "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
              --Frederick II, King of Prussia

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CPangracs
                The gloves are off. Make a stupid move like fire a gun in an area where you aren't even supposed to haveweapons, you should expect a little rocket-surprise.
                Well, the US Army isn't really 'supposed' to be in Iraq either.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CPangracs
                  Anyway, I find it very suspect because the Army doesn't know anything about a chopper in an engagement like that. I'm sorry, but a chopper pouring rockets into a group of armed people at 0300 usually gets noticed.
                  Well, about 30 seconds ago, the CBC reported the Pentagon as saying that US troops came under fire from a terrorist safe house, and called in air support.

                  "Iraqi wedding", "terrorist safe house", "Canadian night training exercise", it's all the same really

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Now the Eurotrolls are coming out from under their bridges.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      An incident similar to this happened in Afghanistan 2 years ago, it's still on CNN here: Afghan: US Bombs Hit Wedding Party

                      But the one in Iraq does not seem legitimate.
                      Last edited by Tzar; 19 May 04, 21:34.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
                        Well, about 30 seconds ago, the CBC reported the Pentagon as saying that US troops came under fire from a terrorist safe house, and called in air support.

                        "Iraqi wedding", "terrorist safe house", "Canadian night training exercise", it's all the same really
                        What did happen to those pilots? Were they told not to do it again or somthing?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Syrian terrorists. They had recently crossed the border and were staying in the village where the locals protected them. Their next objective was supposed to be US troops in Baghdad. As an alternative, they could have used massive bombs to kill hundreds of Iraqi civilians.

                          Never mind the civilian casualties in the village, next time there's a shipment of terrorists from Syria the surviving villagers will think twice before giving them shelter.
                          Last edited by MonsterZero; 20 May 04, 00:11.

                          "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MonsterZero
                            Never mind the civilian casualties in the village, next time there's a shipment of terrorists from Syria the surviving villagers will think twice before giving them shelter.
                            MZ, cannot resist to remind you a little bit (you have been like this for a long time, indeed): this is exactly the terrorist's logic, my friend.
                            Attn to ALL my opponents:

                            If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

                            Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MonsterZero
                              Syrian terrorists. They had recently crossed the border and were staying in the village where the locals protected them. Their next objective was supposed to be US troops in Baghdad. As an alternative, they could have used massive bombs to kill hundreds of Iraqi civilians.

                              Never mind the civilian casualties in the village, next time there's a shipment of terrorists from Syria the surviving villagers will think twice before giving them shelter.
                              In what manner did the nasty locals protect the nice men with guns?
                              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X