X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Picture from Iraq

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I wish the guy could have had a cold six-pack and be sitting beside his favourite fishing spot instead. And I hope he enjoys the relaxation of angling as much as I do. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Is it true statement that in America only poor kids have to make sacrifices for their country why the elite doesn't have to offer anything at all?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
        Is it true statement that in America only poor kids have to make sacrifices for their country why the elite doesn't have to offer anything at all?
        Of course it is true, this is true of all societies, whether communist, fascist or capitalist. In communist or fascist regimes, your Party status buys you privileges, and in capitalism your money buys you privileges. The American elite is pampered like any other elite in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Tzar
          Of course it is true, this is true of all societies, whether communist, fascist or capitalist. In communist or fascist regimes, your Party status buys you privileges, and in capitalism your money buys you privileges. The American elite is pampered like any other elite in the world...
          Would it be fair to say that a good proportion of the English upper class youth were wiped out in the Great War because of their preferential filling of the officer positions? This observation is based upon the inter-war social change where a significant proportion of middle class youth were able to fill many of the professional positions that would otherwise have been restricted to the upper class public school types.

Comment

The lines on that building look pretty wierd too

Comment

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Your statement has NOTHING to do with what you responded to,...NOTHING!

Comment

No, that's not true at all. I know plenty of enlisted soldiers who had advanced degrees, yet enlisted in the Army as grunts, artillerymen, etc., for a chance to serve this nation. I also know of a great many poor kids who are too stupid to get into the military, AND they have no desire to better themselves.

The crux of your question, I believe, is that the word "poor" is a relative term. Very few "rich" people have the desire to better themselves or serve their country, as they already think of themselves as just fine, thank you very much. HOWEVER, in this case, every soldier must be taken as an individual, and weighed against the "norms" of being rich or poor. It's a very tenuous proposition, one which a black Representative from New York realized was undefensible when he tried to tell the world that more blacks were dying for this country than any other race because the military was the only option for a black person born in poverty (a statement which is wholly unsupported and proven false!).

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
                  That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Your statement has NOTHING to do with what you responded to,...NOTHING!
                  It would be good if at the same time you are calling my statement a load of crap, you could provide some arguments so that I can understand why my statement is crap.

It has been largely proven that in communist and fascist societies, your Party status, not your intelligence or birth status, would decide what kind of privileges you would get (including also if you would be sent to war or not). In capitalist societies, people with money can buy for themselves lots of privileges. It buys you a social status, connections and networks. It does not mean it is bad in itself. It just means people with less money or no money will have a much steeper curve to climb in life than the ones who have money, especially if they have inherited their wealth and privileges through their family. Just look at the current President for an example. Now, again, I am not saying this is bad, I am just saying this is a fact of life and there is no purpose in denying it.

Comment

Hmmm, somebody thinks that having an "advanced" degree means you're rich. Now that's a stupid reply.

Comment

Yeah...there're a lot of people who've been advanced degrees, and whose ethical checkbooks show they are indeed, dirt poor...

Let us meditate and reflect on this...

...Ohm why money makes me hum?...
                      ...Ah owe 'em, no money makes no fun...
                      ...Oh my money makes me hum...
                      ...Ah-o-o-o-ohm...
                      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
                        Hmmm, somebody thinks that having an "advanced" degree means you're rich. Now that's a stupid reply.

What's that Meatloaf song called again?
                        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

In capitalist societies, people with money can buy for themselves lots of privileges.
                          Just look at the current President for an example. Now, again, I am not saying this is bad, I am just saying this is a fact of life and there is no purpose in denying it.
                          Wasn't the air force brigade were Bush served during the vietnam war called 'champagne brigade' or something similar because mostly rich kids or kids with important parents served there because the chances that they would ever leave the USA were virtually nil ??
                          "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

I think its more the middle class bearing the brunt.

As a former Army Recruiter "89-90" I can say that during most of that time we could only accept High School Graduates so this would leave out many of the so called uneducated (and what many would consider stereotypical "Poor") and this was going on right up until the beginning of Desert Storm. I had many kids who could break down and rebuild an engine block by themselves without intructions and yet couldn't get in because of the High School Diploma requirement.

I also personally served with and had many soldiers working for me who were very well off (both Black and White). During the time I was in and even before, there was an old saying held to be true by some people that "If you aren't smart enough or educated enough to get a real job, you can always join the Army." Well guess what, I had many kids sent to see me to sign up by those who believed this line and many of these kids had to be told "sorry you aren't qualified". I was continually approached by kids who had dropped out of school just because they were fed this line and thought to use it a quick way out of having to actually finish school.

I can't say how it is now having been many years ago so if there are any other former or current Recruiters visiting this forum feel free to speak up.

We will try not to hold the Recruiter thing against you
                            [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Surely a high school education doesnt mean you are middle class? In Aus you a minimum requiremnet in education is year 10, which is finished by your 15 to 16 bday.

Is poverty that bad in America where working class or poorer cant have a child graduate from highschool? (which i beleive in the US is of a higher age to us in Aus)
                              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X