Iraqi Rebels Killing Foreigners Indiscriminately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Rebels Killing Foreigners Indiscriminately

The Polish star reporter Milewicz had just arrived in Baghdad and according to Italian fellow jouranlists operating in Iraq and local Iraqi witnesses his car was targetted because the sign "Press" behind the windshield. They had barely gotten off the airplane so no other explanation can be accepted.

The Poles were so unfamiliar with the situation in the country they thought the rebels would leave them alone after seeing the sign but in fact the attack was instant. Milewicz and two other were killed.

The Italians report all foreigners in Iraq are now targets and the rampaging killers are part of a plan to cause total chaos in anticipation of the transfer of power. The rebels want to make it looke like Iraq is not possible to govern by anybody.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 09 May 04, 01:33.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

why am i not surprised you visit that site, thats ****ing off man!
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

MZ, you do know that US marines were shooting at ambulances in Falludja, yes ? They were claiming that ambulances were sometimes used to smuggle weapons and that they were therefor justified to shoot at them on sight. I've even seen an interview with a western aid worker who drove an ambulance in Falludja and came under US sniper fire and barely made it out alive and he swore that there were no weapons or fighters hidden in his ambulance. Hope you find equally harsh words for the US marines.

War is hell.
      "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
        why am i not surprised you visit that site, thats ****ing off man!
        Ok, the picture is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut
          MZ, you do know that US marines were shooting at ambulances in Falludja, yes ? They were claiming that ambulances were sometimes used to smuggle weapons and that they were therefor justified to shoot at them on sight. I've even seen an interview with a western aid worker who drove an ambulance in Falludja and came under US sniper fire and barely made it out alive and he swore that there were no weapons or fighters hidden in his ambulance. Hope you find equally harsh words for the US marines.

War is hell.
          Kraut, stop whining. I don't have harsh words for anybody, just offering analysis of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
            Ok, the picture is gone.
            I didnt see the picture, the whole site is foul as far as im concerned, pictures of rape n ****, its just off!
            Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

War is hell.
              We had a discussion on this, in the forum, of one particular incident, has there been more do you have some info?

Comment

War is hell.
                Hmm, an ambulance driver can tell he was being targeted by "US Sniper fire"?! Bullshit. You don't know who is firing at you unless you see them, and a sniper to boot?! What a load of crap.

If the Marines DO fire on an ambulance, (HIGHLY unlikely, and I would need more concrete evidence before I believe it), they first must have a REASON (i.e., they KNOW it is carrying contraband or enemy combatants for the purpose of getting them past the soldiers, not as wounded), or the Ambulance did not stop at a checkpoint when directed, thereby giving them a right to stop the vehicle as a threat to themselves or others.

I'm sickened by how easily lead by the nuts some people are.

Hey, I have a beautiful old bridge in Brooklyn for sale. You interested?!

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
                  Hmm, an ambulance driver can tell he was being targeted by "US Sniper fire"?! Bullshit. You don't know who is firing at you unless you see them, and a sniper to boot?! What a load of crap.
                  I have to agree with this. However, I would not dismiss the possibility entirely. During the war, Marines killed twelve civilians when they employed a rather controversial technique for maintaining a roadblock. A Marine company established good cover and concealment positions. Snipers were to fire first to warn vehicles and if required, to attempt to disable the vehicle. If this failed, other Marines would engage the vehicle to prevent it penetrating the roadblock.

Unfortunately, the Marines were so concealed Iraqis didn't know they were approaching a roadblock. Worse, there was heavy fighting nearby. Survivors said they heard gunfire, but didn't know where it came from. All they saw was a clear highway hopefully leading away from the raging battle. (Likely didn't know the Marines occupied the farside and was in the beginning of a very big firefight.) The Marines killed old men, women, and children because they had developed their position too well.

I am very critical of the Marines ability to handle these kind of operations. They seem unprepared to handle less than intensive combat operations. Army does alot better.

So it is not impossible to imagine them shooting up an ambulance.

I don't blame the Marines entirely though. In a perfect world, everyone would obey the laws of war, and try to limit combat to those who are committed to fighting. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect. The Iraqis see the value we place on preserving life as a weakness to be exploited. We have to adapt to it.

War sucks
                  Last edited by Deltapooh; 09 May 04, 08:41.
                  "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                    I have to agree with this. However, I would not dismiss the possibility entirely. During the war, Marines killed twelve civilians when they employed a rather controversial technique for maintaining a roadblock. A Marine company established good cover and concealment positions. Snipers were to fire first to warn vehicles and if required, to attempt to disable the vehicle. If this failed, other Marines would engage the vehicle to prevent it penetrating the roadblock.

Unfortunately, the Marines were so concealed Iraqis didn't know they were approaching a roadblock. Worse, there was heavy fighting nearby. Survivors said they heard gunfire, but didn't know where it came from. All they saw was a clear highway hopefully leading away from the raging battle. (Likely didn't know the Marines occupied the farside and was in the beginning of a very big firefight.) The Marines killed old men, women, and children because they had developed their position too well.

I am very critical of the Marines ability to handle these kind of operations. They seem unprepared to handle less than intensive combat operations. Army does alot better.

So it is not impossible to imagine them shooting up an ambulance.

I don't blame the Marines entirely though. In a perfect world, everyone would obey the laws of war, and try to limit combat to those who are committed to fighting. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect. The Iraqis see the value we place on preserving life as a weakness to be exploited. We have to adapt to it.

War sucks
                    I agree in that situation. I'm not really clear on how a roadblock isn't a roadblock, though. Can you expound, maybe throw-in a visual? I doubt the marines would put up a sign on an MRE box saying "ROADBLOCK!: Please stop here", hide in the bushes around it, and expect people to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
                      I agree in that situation. I'm not really clear on how a roadblock isn't a roadblock, though. Can you expound, maybe throw-in a visual? I doubt the marines would put up a sign on an MRE box saying "ROADBLOCK!: Please stop here", hide in the bushes around it, and expect people to stop.
                      Well, since it was a roadblock, not a checkpoint, the ideal solution would be to place an advanced team forward in a more visible position to tell vehicles to turn around. They are protected by snipers. If a vehicle continues to approach, the advance team retreats, supported by the snipers. They can, if possible, attempt to disable the vehicle. If that is not acceptable, or achievable, the vehicle should be taken out by main force, which is in good defensive positions. You do what you can, but when the commander says "noone goes through," no one goes through. If civilians are killed because they elected to disobey warning signs, then they it is at their own risk.

I recognize placing soldiers out in the open is very risky. However, our objective is avoid civilian casualties. I'm confident there are positions available that minimize the risk of exposure. Snipers can provide additional security.
                      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X