Best Cities to Live in Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cities to Live in Colorado?

Can you name a few? I heard Vail is not bad.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Looking at Dr Queen series on TV, Colorado springs look fine

Der WanderSolly
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
      Yeah MZ, Vail's a great place to live....if you're a millionaire. Vail and Aspen are upscale places that cater to the tastes of the very wealthy, you won't find a Safeway anywhere inside the city limits. The ordinary folks that work there live in the surrounding towns, they can't afford to live in either Vail or Aspen. There are a lot of good places to live in Colorado, but, be warned mountain living is more expensive than say down in Denver or Colorado Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
        Well, that depends on just what it is you want to do and how much money you want to spend doing it, and if you have to make a living while you're doing it.

Climbing: Boulder, C-Springs for Rock Climbing, Estes Park for Alpine and rock climbing. There's pockets of rock and alpine climbing throughout the state (Telluride, Aspen, Durango) but I think those are not as high a concentrations of quality routes.

Ice climbing happens all around the state in winter.

Skiing: If you got a ton of money and don't need to work, Vail and Aspen. We're talking about multiple TONs of money and don't expect to find work there.

If you're a mere mortal: Summit County, Gunnison, Durango. These places still are not cheap, but they're closer to affordable than Vail/Aspen. Work is still sparse, but can be done in a pinch.

All of these place have backcounty opportunities in the area.

ASL and other war games: Boulder/Denver

What else is there to life?

Oh, work.... Front Range (Denver/Bouler/Fort Collins/C-Springs). If you're academic, there are schools in Gunnison, Boulder, Fort Collins, C-Springs, Durango, Grand Junction, and a small Juinor College with campuses in Aspen and Leadville. Works been a mite sparse so if you didn't have a job lined up, I'd not move here unless you had a fair stash of cash to tide you over.

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming, but I can't make the $ in The Empty Quarter that I can in Colorado.

Jazz

Comment

I like the northern suburbs, Westminster, Broomfield, North Thornton... It's close to Denver, It's close to Boulder, more and more nice shopping spots are going in.

Anyone on the Front Range Play Lock n Load?
          "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorius is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte.

Michael

Comment

Guys...

I am thinking about moving to Colorado in the future which I might or might not change my mind and Colorado seem really nice place to live there i mean alot people keep telling me it's wonderful place there, but I understand making living there is so expensive.

Is Brighton is good place to live there or Durango?

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherneck
              Guys...

I am thinking about moving to Colorado in the future which I might or might not change my mind and Colorado seem really nice place to live there i mean alot people keep telling me it's wonderful place there, but I understand making living there is so expensive.

Is Brighton is good place to live there or Durango?
              Well it depends on just what it is you're into.....why do you want to move here? I hate to be an engineer, but we're talking specifics here.

If you want to ski, Durango would probably be best. If you want to climb, the Front Range would be best, but Durango not bad. If you want to hunt, I'm thinking Durango would be better, but I haven't hunted myself for a long time. If you need to work for a living, well that depends on what you do, but the Front Range would probably be the better choice.

I'd pick Durango 'cause I like to climb, ski, and in general do stuff in the Mtns.

If you need to make a living, just what do you do? Brighton is on the Front Range and there's probably more work around here....more people too, which is one of the reasons people move here. The oil patch around Brighton is picking up, price of oil being what it is.

If you play wargames (I play ASL) the Front Range is probably your best choice.

Why just those two spots? Durango I can understand as it's way the hell on the other end of the state and it's pretty much the biggest thing in the area.

Brighton, you're essentially on the Front Range....I'd just say "Front Range" instead of "Brighton". You could just as easily live in Boulder (People's Republic of...), Longmont, Erie, etc.......

"There's never any easy answers..."
              Jazz

Comment

Does Colorado have stinking graffitti?

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
                  Does Colorado have stinking graffitti?

Not in Boulder....they have laws against stinky spray paint.....

Comment

Fort Collins CO often makes the list of Best Places to Live in America. My only complaint is that it is too far from the rest of the Front Range cities (such as Denver and suburbs). Colorado Springs is a nice town, a lot smaller than Denver, but positioned near some cool mountain terrain, has several military facilities in the area (Air Force Academy, Ft. CArson, NORAD, etc.) and is a bit cheaper on the cost of living. Pueblo is the southernmost Front Range city, but all I know about them is they are the home of the Gov't pamphlet printing facility LOL.

I moved to Denver from Missouri and haven't regretted a day of it. The weather here is outstanding, with more sunny days per year than Miami. The climate is very termperate year round, and many times a good snow one day is followed by fair weather and shorts the next day. Rarely does it get truly "freezing" here and some winters you will see almost no snow at all in the city. Last year I was riding my mountain bike just before Christmas, then it snowed a few times in January and I had to wait until February to start riding the trails again.

The cost of living is a bit higher here, but it is not prohibitive. If you are an active, outdoors type of person, you will find the price is more than worth it given all your choices for activities here.

Grand Junction (on the other side of the state) is another option for some people. It is a smaller town, but positioned to be close to some outlying tourists destinations such as Moab UT, Fruita CO, SW Colorado (Durango), and Salt Lake City, UT. Finding work would probably be the hardest part of living in any small town.

I do wish the area was a bigger hub for wargaming...sort of like Columbus, OH.
                    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I came very close to moving to Colorado instead of Texas (so I could keep an eye on Brian), but the cost of living is prohibitive in many of the better areas. Property taxes are beyond ridiculous in Aspen and the other "cool" towns and property values are exceptionally bloated (much like California's).

In the end, Texas won out. There is no snow here at all, but it may be too hot for some people. Property values are far more realistic than the east coast, California, or the "cool" parts of Colorado. Texas has no income tax at all, which may not be that big a deal for someone making 20 grand per year, but it's a huge deal when you're making higher wages.

And the seafood in Colordao stinks...
                      Editor-in-Chief
                      GameSquad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                        I came very close to moving to Colorado instead of Texas (so I could keep an eye on Brian), but the cost of living is prohibitive in many of the better areas. Property taxes are beyond ridiculous in Aspen and the other "cool" towns and property values are exceptionally bloated (much like California's).

In the end, Texas won out. There is no snow here at all, but it may be too hot for some people. Property values are far more realistic than the east coast, California, or the "cool" parts of Colorado. Texas has no income tax at all, which may not be that big a deal for someone making 20 grand per year, but it's a huge deal when you're making higher wages.

And the seafood in Colordao stinks...
                        Well Don, the cost of living in any "better" area (such as Aspen? well beyond "better" methinks) is prohibitive...anywhere. And for the record, Aspen has California prices all beat to hell.

Why would anybody *want* to live were there wasn't any snow? The skiing would suck.... Yes, Aspen does have good skiing, but the skiing's just as good, in cheaper places to live, without all those damn beautiful people .....

Been to Texas, really nice folks, no snow, too much religion, too hot....call me picky

Comment

As a general rule, wages and cost of living decrease as you move south along the Front Range; thus Denver is the most expensive , then Colorado Springs, then Pueblo and it gets pretty slim by the time you hit places like Walsenburg and Trinidad.

The Western Slope is beautiful, of course, but very, very rpicey unless you can afford to stuff yourself away in some little isolated mountain town, in which case you will be a long ways from the amenities you probably want.

I would reinforce the comments of others before me - if you plan to come to Colorado, have a job lined up before you get here. This state is not the most bustling job market by a long shot.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Was talking to a guy on our phone lines last week -he was from somewhere down near the San Juan Mountains - said it was pretty inexpensive ( housing-wise -said his place -which was not a mansion - but were going for something like $20k) - seemed like he was a little more remote than the I-25 area. Colorado is a great State - if I had my choice of living antywhere in the US it'd be Wy, SD, CO, MT - in no particular order...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X