Economy to Dubya's Rescue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy to Dubya's Rescue!

The economy is beginning to boom again with fantastic job growth news from the labor market. Now Dubya will score points "for his tax cut" but the truth is coincidental timing of the economic recovery might have saved his re-election. I don't believe any political leader can influence the economy. Greenspan (and similar financial bosses in other nations) has real influence but those guys are merely doctors watching symptoms and prescribing aspirine for economic feaver. They are not "architects" of economic ups or downs.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 07 May 04, 08:52.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

It's the economy, Stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
      It's the economy, Stupid.
      That wasn't nice, Prester. Bad mood? On Friday?

Comment

Now...take that graph, and move the zero line up to 144,000 and you will have what you need to really look at, as you need to factor in the population growth, as well. If you look at graphs that represent employed workers as either a percentage of the population, or simply total payroll jobs, then you'll see that the economy is still flat-lined, or worse.

The two attached graphs show total jobs. Note the steady growth in the pre-Bush years. That slope is what the graphs have to show, just to maintain parity in terms of employment as a percentage of population. Unfortunately, I don't have time to search up a graph representing that, at the moment.
        Attached Files
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
          That wasn't nice, Prester. Bad mood? On Friday?
          I'm sorry but I thought I was reciting an oft repeated phrase amongst American political commentators which most of you would be aware of (but obviously not!). At least that is how international observers in this part of the world regard the fundamentals of American politics.

Would you care to have a guess at who popularised this phrase in the American political media?

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
            Now...take that graph, and move the zero line up to 144,000 and you will have what you need to really look at, as you need to factor in the population growth, as well. If you look at graphs that represent employed workers as either a percentage of the population, or simply total payroll jobs, then you'll see that the economy is still flat-lined, or worse.

The two attached graphs show total jobs. Note the steady growth in the pre-Bush years. That slope is what the graphs have to show, just to maintain parity in terms of employment as a percentage of population. Unfortunately, I don't have time to search up a graph representing that, at the moment.
            No, wrong, uh-uh. Try again. First, you need to totally delete the number in that job growth in the pre-bush years was based on the internet IPO "bubble" which burst around the same time Bush entered office.

Now, let's look at the population aspect. This must be tempered with the numbers of people of age to actually work. If it is based on total population, then it is flawed. Also be aware that many jobs go unreported for these purposes (day laborers, and newspaper carriers are two I can think of).

I will always say that numbers can be manipulated to mean exactly what someone wants them to mean.

I can say a few things about the economy on a personal level, though.

-Gas prices suck. This is a good thing, because we can finally put to rest the conspiracy theory that GWB wanted to get cheaper access to oil as a reason for invading Iraq.

-I just received a healthy raise. This is also a good thing because I am currently financing my career as a freelance game designer.

-The stock market, after a correction, is back where it should be, and it has been quite fruitful for me over the last year.

-The economy, at the user level IS getting better. I know of 4 men who have finally gotten a job because they HAD to,...their unemployment benefits ran out. Hallelujah! I knew capping those would work. Now we just need to have a cap on the welfare system!

-

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs
              Now we just need to have a cap on the welfare system!

-
              Hmmm, what would you suggest, stopping payments to people with handicaps who cannot work, or be given a chance to work.

Let me guess, its single mothers that really **** you off right?
              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

-Gas prices suck. This is a good thing, because we can finally put to rest the conspiracy theory that GWB wanted to get cheaper access to oil as a reason for invading Iraq.
                Are there any Brit's here who want to listen to the American complain about petrol prices?

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
                  Are there any Brit's here who want to listen to the American complain about petrol prices?
                  Stop Stalking me, boy.

This isn't about Britain, Europe, or any other f'ing country. Are you obsessed with me? Sorry, I'm straight, and I don't think an Australian accent is "sexy".

Comment

Stop Stalking me, boy.

This isn't about Britain, Europe, or any other f'ing country. Are you obsessed with me? Sorry, I'm straight, and I don't think an Australian accent is "sexy".
                    I could've sworn you said you were ignoring me. Maybe you lied about that (surprise, surprise). Things were so good there for a while.

Anyway, are there any Brits who would care to explain what it really means when petrol prices suck?
                    Last edited by Prester John; 07 May 04, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
                      Hmmm, what would you suggest, stopping payments to people with handicaps who cannot work, or be given a chance to work.

Let me guess, its single mothers that really **** you off right?
                      Bad guess. I am talking about those that have created a LIFESTYLE around welfare, NOT those that truly need welfare to get by.

People with handicaps need ASSISTANCE. However, anyone who CAN work SHOULD work. Unfortunately, we give little to motivate someone to achieve what they can.

A single mother who has fallen on hard times needs ASSISTANCE. However, paying her MORE MONEY every time she has a baby out of wedlock is NOT assistance, it is ENABLING.

There are more people who feel as I do in the world than there are that feel as you do.

"What have you done for me lately" is what your attitude suggests, since we're all making assumptions here.

Comment

You'll go back on ignore when I'm through with you. I know what gas costs in Europe. However, this wasn't an issue about their economy, it's about MY economy, and you, as usual, stick your nose in and insert your foot in your mouth.

Also, don't assume that I am like one of your gay lovers and will allow you to talk **** about me at will.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,...you are a punk hiding behind a computer and across thousands of miles.

I'm through with you now. Run along.

Comment

You'll go back on ignore when I'm through with you. I know what gas costs in Europe. However, this wasn't an issue about their economy, it's about MY economy, and you, as usual, stick your nose in and insert your foot in your mouth.

Also, don't assume that I am like one of your gay lovers and will allow you to talk **** about me at will.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,...you are a punk hiding behind a computer and across thousands of miles.

I'm through with you now. Run along.
                          So I'm not really on ignore then? Typical, lied to again.

Comment

I don't know how many Americans held bullshite, nonsense positions in dotcom companies in the late 1990s but it must have been many millions. At some point in time in 1998 or 1999 just about everybody I knew had a dotcom connection either employed himself/herself or his/her partner or spouse. We can't blame Dubya for the disappearance of the dotcom jobs, in fact their disappearance is the best thing that has happened to the economy as it purged itself from the wasteful practices of the past. Most of the people discharged from those dotcom companies are back in the market; they're no longer in IT but they're doing something that's actually productive and important to the economy.

I wish somebody could come up with a rough estimate for the amount of investor money that was injected into the dotocoms and subsequently wasted. 90% of those dotcoms never had any real profitability; they'd get started and soon afterwards go public with stock money or angel investor funds being used to pay for their artificial growth. If all those billions had been diverted to worthwile sectors (even something like Burger King), the recent recessions would have been a lot easier on us.

Last year I had the founder of the failed drinks.com as my client. Before they went under they had been featured in Wired magazine as a "model" dotcom startup, the "hottest idea ever". I have never seen their website, can only wander what they wanted to accomplish. Take online orders for drinks, mix up those vodka martinis and deliver by UPS? The only thing they ever accomplished was some short-lived injections of investor money.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 07 May 04, 12:56.

Comment

CPangracs, Prester John, don't fight. At WarfareHQ it's friends only. This ain't Iraq.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X