Cellphone SMS Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphone SMS Madness

I don't own a cell because I don't wish people to call me any time they want. But I did notice in USA people just talk to their phones while in Europe they spend considerable amount of time pounding those keys to send SMSs. I assume this is due to excessive voice charges in Europe?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

SMS is bigger in Oz than voice - my fiancee for example with her phone plan gets 100 free SMSs a month - and she'll use more than that.

conversely, I use voice calls more, and have set up my account so that frequently called numbers are cheaper.

also, MMS is a waste of time - I have it but have never used it. Taking pictures is okay, but they look crappy, and everything else is just painful...

basically I find SMS more convenient also because you're guaranteed to reach the person, with the msg you want them to have - the probelm is when you get into SMS "chat' and rebound 20-30 msgs in a few minutes. Sending group SMSs is also a good way to organise things.

SMS is also less rude, in my eyes, as you don't take time out of what you're doing to talk to someone, or inrerrupt a real location conversation to answer the phone...that really irritates me
    Now listening too;
    - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Yeah, SMS'ing is really popular over here, though I also just use it if I have to get a message to someone which is not so urgent but I want to know to be received.
      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
      returned to its home base."

Comment

MZ to be really serious,

It is a new way of communication for the youth, my son for instance comminicate mostly by SMS with his friends. he can produce with his thumb a SMS of three lines in 20 sec which very quick.

the way they write word is very fun
        To say hello in French is "bonjour", in SMS language called by the youth fashion "Texto", it will be written BJR
        goodbye is "a+" for "à plus tard" - plus in math is written as add symbol "+".
        I love you is je t'aime in texto it become JTM ( for gee tee m).

other exemple an axe in French is an "Hache" but the lette H is pronouced thesame way

So if you want to write "I want an axe", in French "je veux une hache", in texto it will be written this way JVEU1H

some samples
        http://mapage.noos.fr/jipoli/dicpronoms.html
        http://mapage.noos.fr/jipoli/dicnom.html

In an econimocal poinr of view ,the operators make themselves golden Balls

All I write here concern France only as I have no data concerning others EU countries

15 cents per texto but real production price for the operator is 2 cent only so margin is 82%, and the number of SMS sent last year is 6.000.000.000
        yes 6 10x9

The young people send mainly 57 each month

Benefits for the operators 400 millions of Euros.

So SMS is becoming a very serious thing in France, but my european friends could add too

in texto DR VANDRR

Der WanderePayForIsSon20EurosAMonth
        Last edited by jlbetin; 06 May 04, 06:29.
        The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
        JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
        The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

20 Euros???

is that all?

my phone bill comes to about US$60 a month.
          Now listening too;
          - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Rapkinov
            20 Euros???

is that all?

my phone bill comes to about US$60 a month.
            Florian for his mobile phone has a fixed price contract for 1 hour of communication, each SMS count as 30 sec.

On my own I have a mobile fixed price contract of 30 € with no SMS and 2 hours of communication and right to access other European networks when I travell abroad.

My fixed line phone cost me 60€ each 2 months depending on amount of phone calls made and their destination.

Der WanderTelephonist
            JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

i detest cellphones,dont have one [anymore.
              i had one a couple of years ago and the simcard eventually expired, i called up 5euro's in 2years........i hate calling, especially when people start using their phone in the bus/train....i dont want te be reachable all the time. they force you to have one as the expect you naturally have one. and 10years ago 95% of the people could go without...now 95% say's the cant live without.
              French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

A cellphone is really useful (it's actually revolutionary) for jobs that involve travelling employees that need to stay in touch with the main office as they drive around the city/country. But for personal use only emergencies make it worthwile but am I willing to pay the monthly bill just in case of a car accident? No.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

i never travel far from phonebooths, and always by public transportation or by bicicle...i had one emergency this year. walked to a phonebooth put 30cents in it and called. 10cents left.

i might take one if i go live on my own, but that time hasnt come yet.
                  French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

The thing about sms and mms has to with a lot of advertisement. You can easily order ring tones, graphics, almost anything for your handy by sms. It isn´t cheap, up to 3 € per sms, but people, esp. youth are just crazy about it. Next thing you can do via sms is voting for game shows, polls or participating in lottery games. And esp. the youth writes more sms than they talk. My brother has 10 € free for his calls, but instead he pays 15 € for his sms, as they´re not part of the free contingency.
                    Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
                    soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

Comment

Originally posted by hydrou
                      The thing about sms and mms has to with a lot of advertisement. You can easily order ring tones, graphics, almost anything for your handy by sms. It isn´t cheap, up to 3 € per sms, but people, esp. youth are just crazy about it. Next thing you can do via sms is voting for game shows, polls or participating in lottery games. And esp. the youth writes more sms than they talk. My brother has 10 € free for his calls, but instead he pays 15 € for his sms, as they´re not part of the free contingency.
                      Yeah, It's very much thanks to the ads and all this stuff. I mean I am youth (at least I think so) but I don't really use my cellphone tat often and definately not for this bull$hit, but I know many who do and I can't understand it...
                      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
                      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
                      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
                      returned to its home base."

Comment

Originally posted by mr_clark
                        Yeah, It's very much thanks to the ads and all this stuff. I mean I am youth (at least I think so) but I don't really use my cellphone tat often and definately not for this bull$hit, but I know many who do and I can't understand it...
                        My son wrote something like 40 SMS a month, he hate to speak on phone so he prefer to write small SMS.
                        Hopefully I as clever enough to take a limited time fixed price contract

To answer to screamer. My handy help to inform my relatives at anytime if I have some troubles, to be inform in return if they have problems.

When I'm shopping food for family and I'm not sure of what is needed I can call my mother and she help me, it avoids to do lot go and back.

Usefull, one time I saw a group of youg fellow climbing over the SuperMarket wall. I took my Handy and call police, they have been caught.

Saddiest, one on my coleague is from the Alps, he is found of snow and ski. And me as the worst son of b...., I call him at work with my mobile and I make him heard the noise of snow under the ski , I still hear him shouting

Der WanderSadistic

Comment

bah, at least im not so stupid to take home banana's in stead bratwurst....im doing my own shopping for the pas 2 weeks and its going fine.

it surprises me you can get a connection in the mountains. when i had my cellphone i couldnt even get connection in a 4meter dip in the land [20km diameter]

Comment

Originally posted by screamer
                            bah, at least im not so stupid to take home banana's in stead bratwurst....im doing my own shopping for the pas 2 weeks and its going fine.
                            Happy Jan,

You don't have two young and ferocious teenagers at home who devastate your food reserve because they are a little bit hungry

Originally posted by screamer
                            it surprises me you can get a connection in the mountains. when i had my cellphone i couldnt even get connection in a 4meter dip in the land [20km diameter]
                            We are happy in France as 95% of the territory is covered.
                            Last winter a group of Alpininst was taken in snow tempest in the Mt Blanc, they have alerted the Gendarmerie with their mobile.
                            On my own I used it too in middle of nowhere in the alps to talk with my relatives and keep them out of fear as I was delyed by the found of a marvelous fossil.

No it is one of the most fundamental invention of the end of the XXth century

Der WanderALLO

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin

You don't have two young and ferocious teenagers at home who devastate your food reserve because they are a little bit hungry
                              i am a young and ferocious teenager...............however i have only 150euro left for the next 2 weeks because i had to go to amsterdam yesterday, photographic museum [man ray and lee mill exhibition] + a big CD/LP hunt...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X