Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coalition troops accused of mistreating Iraqi POWs

Hello,

Have anybody seen the pictures of Army prison guards mistreating the prisoners? Since, I don't have TV, I'm not sure what's going on over in Iraq. I've read somewhere that Army prison guards forced naked prisoners to form a pyramind with a grinning guard behind it.

I don't know if these pictures are accurate, but let me say, this is disgusting, these guards need to be charged and punished with severe sentences.

Don't they realize Al-Jazeera is going to use these pictures all over to smear the track record of Army at hard work helping to rebuild Iraq? Idiots. They shouldn't be in Army in first place.

Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

That's not mistreatment, that's just a healthy Klansman except wearing black for a change.

Sorry, coldn't resist.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Unfortunatly it apears legit. This link has more info http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in614063.shtml

I definitly aint buying that Seargent they interviewed's story about lack of training on the Geneva conventions. That stuff although not in detail is covered in basic and I definitly suspect it would be part of an MP's AIT.

Comment

Lack of training, lol. As if you need special training to understand you shouldn't treat people that way.

Oh well, you have to expect a percentage of idiots in any army, but at least they're being charged.
        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

I wondered when somebody would notice that. The videos were on the news yesterday. I sure hope nobody is expecting any coalition captives to come back with their genitalia intact.

Comment

These idiots are prison guards. You know who joins the military to become a prison guard? Total .. freak-shows. Anyways. Anybody ever seen the movie Rules of Engagement? Reminds me a lot about Iraq. Go out and buy it if you don't have it, it's damn good.

I'm Back.
            Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
            -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
            -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

It is imperative for the United States to prosecute such offenses to the fullest extent possible. Such behavior not only is unhumane, and defies that our military believes in, it also compromises the operation and place soldiers in greater danger. Building the trust required to obtain valuable HUMINT, as well as trying to convince the local population we are not the bad guys are two critical elements to overcoming some the more difficult challenges we face in Iraq.

So there should be a thorough investigation, followed by prosecution based on the evidence. The military would also be wise to study the mental background of the accused to determine if operations might have had some impact on their conduct. This could then be used to prevent such behavior.

I'm less confident these soldiers just slipped through the cracks of the US Army system. War has negative effects on people. These effects are amplified by prolonged tours, the sense of failure, and how the local population is viewed. In Iraq, everyone is a suspect. Soldiers see Iraqis cheering over burnt out trucks where fellow soldiers lay dead in. This can have negative effects on anyone. It is thus imperative the military do more than just prosecute those who commit such acts. They, and we as a nation, through Congress, must do all we can to counter the ill-effects of OIF on soldiers through by finding, then funding preventive measures, even if that requires drafting large pools of medical personnel.
              "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

You have to be psychotic to conciously put dead men in a pyramid and then take photos with you giving a thumbs up.

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting and a disgrace to the uniform.
                Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
                -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
                -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

One of those Bozo's is a prison guard in civilian life, you would think that he would know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cortez
                    You have to be psychotic to conciously put dead men in a pyramid and then take photos with you giving a thumbs up.

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting and a disgrace to the uniform.
                    They are not dead.
                    I see why kyoto was unacceptable
                    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/env_pol_car_dio_199
                    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/env_co2_emi

Comment

Might want to check this out.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ews/khadr.html

An all around interesting story. He's a Canadian whose family is very close to Bin Laden. He didn't really like the Islamic lifestyle though and his family just about disowned him. He was arrested in Afghanistan, then the CIA used him as a mole for a while at Guantanamo. He has some interesting things to say about Guantanamo, both on the treatment of prisoners and on who is there. By his estimate, the majority of the prisoners were suckers that got sold off (the US was offering rather large cash rewards for turning in al Qaeda/Taliban personnel in Afghanistan - needless to say there are a lot of opportunists in a country as poor as Afghanistan). Later, the CIA wanted him to go to Bosnia, infiltrate Jihadist groups and go to Iraq with them to fight Americans (and pass on human intel from that capacity). At some point he finally clued in what a suicide mission that was, so he opted out. CIA declines to comment, but Frontline put him through a polygraph and he passed on all major aspects of his story.

While you're there, check this out as well:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/

The Jesus Factory. Interesting documentary about Dubya and how religion factors in.

PBS is such a redeeming factor in American media :P
                      "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

This is just absolutely outrageous. Every member of the US Army goes through EO and sensitivity training on a regular basis. Sometimes it seems like that's all we ever do. This is required by Army regulations and strictly enforced by the major commands. I've never been in a unit that failed to conduct this type of training in accordance with the guidelines. Furthermore, all NCOs and officers get a far more in-depth version of this training as they progress through the officer education system and the NCO education system (NCOES). I was a senior instructor at an NCO academy for soldiers being promoted to junior NCO. The Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC), and one of the mandatory classes was the Law of War etc.

These soldiers knew what they were doing was criminal behavior. I expect the entire chain of command and NCO support channel to held accountable for this criminal behavior. Because of the actions of a few idoiots, now every US soldier is more at risk and the US Army's honor has been tarnished.

I am quite sure President Bush and Secretary Rumsfeld will be personally involved in making sure these idiots are locked away for a long time. They've created a terrible situation and I have no mercy for them whatsoever. This type of behavior wouldn't be condoned by any NCO or officer that I know, and I'm sure severy US soldier is as outraged as I am. Furthermore, I believe that this is such a hot issue that the US government must go to whatever lengths necessarry to demonstrate that this is not US policy and that these people will be severely dealt with.
                        Editor-in-Chief
                        GameSquad.com

Comment

Do you think it would be a case of looking for a discharge? they might have expected a rap over the knuckles and discharge papers over this.
                          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Absoulutly not. There are much easier ways to get a discharge.

My personal opinion is that these are completly sick individuals that saw an oppertunity to misbehave without any possible reprecusions. I firmly belive that they knew what they were doing is wrong, against the GC and frowned upon. I also completly do not buy the bit about not being informed of the Geneva Conventions. In 1987 when I went through Basic we had GC courses. Ours were rather limited as far as prisoners since as Infantrymen we were expected to take them and turn them over to MP's whom I would think have in more indepth training. As Don has also pointed out this claim is practically impossible. They screwed the pooch and were stupid enough to even photograph it.

I have no doubt that they are about to get slamed in their respective court-martials and will have plenty of time to reflect on their stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog
                              Absoulutly not. There are much easier ways to get a discharge.

My personal opinion is that these are completly sick individuals that saw an oppertunity to misbehave without any possible reprecusions. I firmly belive that they knew what they were doing is wrong, against the GC and frowned upon. I also completly do not buy the bit about not being informed of the Geneva Conventions. In 1987 when I went through Basic we had GC courses. Ours were rather limited as far as prisoners since as Infantrymen we were expected to take them and turn them over to MP's whom I would think have in more indepth training. As Don has also pointed out this claim is practically impossible. They screwed the pooch and were stupid enough to even photograph it.

I have no doubt that they are about to get slamed in their respective court-martials and will have plenty of time to reflect on their stupidity.
                              pitty they will have to release them at some point, back into society
                              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X