Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domestic Violence Research

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Domestic Violence Research

    An interesting site I found. Apparently (to my shock), study after study shows domestic violence against men is as common as it is against women. Is the widely accepted notion that women are always the victim of domestic violence, in fact not true?

    http://www.kirbyinwood.com/dv.htm

  • #2
    Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
    An interesting site I found. Apparently (to my shock), study after study shows domestic violence against men is as common as it is against women. Is the widely accepted notion that women are always the victim of domestic violence, in fact not true?

    http://www.kirbyinwood.com/dv.htm
    maybe in Canada buddy! Here in Australia we beat our women good! we dont let em get away with s**t like that.

    Seriously, it is a suspect site to me, it is a 'revisionist' type of argument usually associated with history but here used in sociology. Im sure the facts are reliable in ther own context, whatever that is. I don't trust it, i am not a feminist or anything it just seems contrary to what i have seen/heard, but it does even up the argument a bit i spose, women are definately not always innocents.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Temujin
      maybe in Canada buddy! Here in Australia we beat our women good! we dont let em get away with s**t like that.

      Seriously, it is a suspect site to me, it is a 'revisionist' type of argument usually associated with history but here used in sociology. Im sure the facts are reliable in ther own context, whatever that is. I don't trust it, i am not a feminist or anything it just seems contrary to what i have seen/heard, but it does even up the argument a bit i spose, women are definately not always innocents.
      The figures might not be so off, if you consider the most liberal criteria. Women that slap, push, or throw items at their spouse are technically committing abuse. Cursing them for SOB's, pricks, or whatever are also forms of abuse. I think people take this more for granted because it is commonly displayed.
      "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Deltapooh
        I think people take this more for granted because it is commonly displayed.
        Yes. I've seen it more often than I'd like: woman slaps man - man slaps woman - all women who witness exchange of slaps are mortally offended by the "woman beater". Submissive husbands aka heroes with offended wives beat man. Or woman screams at man for half an hour, man finally speaks and calls her a bitch, woman acts shocked and cries for the next fourteen days.

        Both scenarios are followed by woman filing for divorce, taking man to court, winning and stealing half man's stuff.

        I might be exaggerating a bit
        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

        – Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, it's not that bad to be beaten by a women is it?


          Maybe it is just because there are more women then men outthere that do not tell anybody that they are abused? Might be, or not?
          "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
          which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
          The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
          returned to its home base."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mr_clark
            Well, it's not that bad to be beaten by a women is it?
            Yes, I suppose it depends if this 'beating' happens inside or outside the bedroom

            Apparently (according to the article anyways), women themselves will admit to abusing their husbands far more frequently than the man would admit to being abused.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mr_clark
              Well, it's not that bad to be beaten by a women is it?


              Maybe it is just because there are more women then men outthere that do not tell anybody that they are abused? Might be, or not?
              There are cases where womwn do abuse thier spouses, although not in the same numbers of men who beat their wives. Mr. Clark, don't underestimate a womans strength, especially when they are PO'ed and armed with a frying pan.

              Comment


              • #8
                As far as the use of physical force is concerned, is it is obvious to me that many more men abuse women than the reverse.

                Of course though, if you take into account "psychological violence" or "verbal violence", women can be as bad as men, and undoubtedly are.

                Whatever psychologists will say about this, I personally believe that usually physical violence is much worse than psychological violence. That's why men are much more guilty of violence by a wide margin.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tzar
                  As far as the use of physical force is concerned, is it is obvious to me that many more men abuse women than the reverse.
                  So what?


                  Originally posted by Tzar
                  Of course though, if you take into account "psychological violence" or "verbal violence", women can be as bad as men, and undoubtedly are.
                  Agreed

                  Originally posted by Tzar
                  Whatever psychologists will say about this, I personally believe that usually physical violence is much worse than psychological violence. That's why men are much more guilty of violence by a wide margin.
                  I couldn't disagree with you more, psychological damage can be even more damaging thatn physical abuse. If I punch you in the eye the pain will only last for a few minutes, while psychological damage can last for years. I might add that some physical abuse by men is triggered bt psychological abuse by women.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The thing of it is that the real cost and real damage of abuse is much greater for women victims of abuse than it is for male. Women in abusive relationships are generally pretty powerless. If a man is being abused by a woman chances are it's in a pretty limited way and the man is still the one with the job and the car etc. and he could walk out if he wanted to but he is just not being abused in the same way that many women are.
                    Sure if you add up all the middle / upper middle class slaps that married women inflict on their men it probably equals the number of beat-downs inflicted by abusive husbands but it's far from being a comparable situation.
                    ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                    -the Firesign Theatre

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tiberius
                      The thing of it is that the real cost and real damage of abuse is much greater for women victims of abuse than it is for male. Women in abusive relationships are generally pretty powerless. If a man is being abused by a woman chances are it's in a pretty limited way and the man is still the one with the job and the car etc. and he could walk out if he wanted to but he is just not being abused in the same way that many women are.
                      This is debateable, the arguements that you present are decades old...things have changed. In the US today there are a lot of working women and some of them have better jobs than thier husbands do. I don't know about Canada, but, here in the US two income families are becoming pretty much mandatory now days. There are also other resources that women can turn to for help if they need to.

                      Originally posted by Tiberius
                      Sure if you add up all the middle / upper middle class slaps that married women inflict on their men it probably equals the number of beat-downs inflicted by abusive husbands but it's far from being a comparable situation.
                      No one said that it was a comparable situation, all I said is that the are instances where women beat the snot out of thier husbands and I don't mean hand slaps. There are cases on record where a wife has severly beaten her husband.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Priest
                        This is debateable, the arguements that you present are decades old...things have changed. In the US today there are a lot of working women and some of them have better jobs than thier husbands do.
                        That's for sure and I bet in a number of those cases the husband is dominating and abusing the situation (the wife's income is spent on family maintenace, while the husband's goes to booze and gambling etc. I'm not saying it's common but it's far more common than the cases of the browbeaten, abused, henpecked husband so damaged psychologically from his abusive relationship that he can't escape.


                        Originally posted by Priest
                        I don't know about Canada, but, here in the US two income families are becoming pretty much mandatory now days. There are also other resources that women can turn to for help if they need to.
                        And there are not many similar resources for men. Why? Because they are not needed.


                        Originally posted by Priest
                        No one said that it was a comparable situation, all I said is that the are instances where women beat the snot out of thier husbands and I don't mean hand slaps. There are cases on record where a wife has severly beaten her husband.
                        Yes but these situations are anecdotal, while the thousands of abused woment in shelters across the continent are NOT anecdotes.
                        ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                        -the Firesign Theatre

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          p.s. sorry guys I know most of your answers are meant to be tongue in cheek I guess I just got a wild hair up my b*tt.
                          ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                          -the Firesign Theatre

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Priest
                            No they are not anecdotal, unless you want to call police reports anecdotal evidence.
                            OK, then. 4,000 women die each year in America from spousal abuse (FBI). How many men do? 4? 5?
                            ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                            -the Firesign Theatre

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tiberius
                              OK, then. 4,000 women die each year in America from spousal abuse (FBI). How many men do? 4? 5?
                              A whole lot more thn that and that's not counting those who choose not to report it. Let me relate a story to you concerning a friend of mine in Georgia. Seems she came home one night and her husband started an arguement and slapped her. She then grabbed him by the front of his shirt, picked him up and threw him against the wall. He bounced off the wall and hit the corner of thae dresser, end of fight. Like I said before do not underestimate a womans strength.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X