Target Greece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Greece

With the approach of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, some people are wondering if the Greeks are going to be up to the security requirements that this Olympiad is going to demand. Coalition troops are still going to be in Iraq during the games, making Athens a mecca for every two-bit terrorist with an axe to grind. Is this Olympiad going to go off without a hitch or are we looking at Munich 1972...or worse?

Yeah it could well be, but i would think the security there would deter terrorists, they usually strike out of the blue, not at events which are heavily guarded. However, like Spain, Greece is a close neighbour to the areas islamic terrorists come from and apart from 9/11 this is where they usaully operate, close to home.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

unfortunately, most terrorism in Greece, Italy, (add other Southern Euro nation) is domestic.

I would think something more imperialistic would be a target - like say the World Series, or if they wanted to strike at Australians, the Gallipoli Anzac Day celebrations
      Now listening too;
      - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

I think that they will at least try, 17 November will for sure. Al-Queda will probibly have something planned, I don't think that they can pass up something this big...something that the entire world will be watching. I just hope that the Greeks are up for it.

Comment

Have'nt they asked for NATO assistance w/security?
          Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy
            I thought I heard or read something about that but now I can't find anything on it

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy
              Bomber squadrons on the sky??

Actually the terrorists do not have to attack in the security zone of the Olympia, it is enough some bombs in the surrounding hotels, surely it will be a high security risk.
              And the other problem with it many security and counter-terrorists will be there, so other places will be better for the terrorists...
              a brain cell

Comment

I think they definitely will try to strike at the Olympics. They will want to show that the U.S./British war on terror is making the world more dangerous and the Olypics are too good of a target to pass up. I agree that the attacks will be at softer targets, like hotels or restaurants.
                "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Shall we have a poll? Wheres MonsterZero?

Lets have a poll to see if we should have a poll!
                  Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

MZ we have a poll request over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                      MZ we have a poll request over here.
                      His Pole is broken, maybe someone else?
                      a brain cell

Comment

Athens bomb blasts!

Might be a good time to resurrect this thread judging by recent events.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...635197218.html

Police deny Olympic bombing link
                        May 5, 2004 - 6:05PM

Three bombs exploded next to a police station in Athens, causing no injuries but deepening security fears just 100 days before the Greek capital hosts the 2004 Olympic Games.

The blasts caused extensive damage to the police station in the southern Athens suburb of Kallithea.

Athens is struggling to finalise preparations for the Olympics, scheduled to run from August 13 to 29, and the city is planning a massive security operation amid fears of extremist attacks.

But the Greek police and government said they saw no connection between the bombings and the Olympics, and police said their main line of inquiry was focused on local extremist groups.

"There is absolutely no reason to link this incident with the Olympics. It is a local affair," a senior police official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"There has been an exaggerated reaction to the blasts ... Such things have happened frequently in the past," Greek Deputy Foreign Minister Evrypidis Stylianidis told radio station Flash.
                        "We must be on alert but we should not exaggerate."

The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) voiced concern over the pre-dawn explosions but said it was not contemplating pulling its team out of the games.

"Any bomb that goes off in Athens is worrying," said Bob Elphinston, secretary general of the Australian Olympic Committee.

"This (Athens) is now the Olympic city and again whether it's a coincidence that it's 100 days to the games ... time will tell."

AOC president John Coates later said early indications were that the bombings were the work of local anarchists.

He said he remained confident with the level of security in place for the Athens games, and the AOC was committed to sending a team.

However, it would continue to monitor the security situation daily.

The three blasts occurred within 45 minutes of an anonymous telephone warning to an Athens newspaper, police in the city said.

They believed the timing of the blasts, which they described as "middle sized", was staggered in the hope that the second and third bombs would injure policemen arriving on the scene after the first explosion.

Comment

You would think they would try to kill someone if they were harcore terrorists, that would have had more terror effect and if it was Islamic terrorists they would have. Targeting the police, by timing the bombs for their arrival, seems to suggest it wasn't the usual Islamic extremist job.

On a funnier side i heard the Greek's wanted to send their own security team to guard the flame as it travelled thru Oz. As if!

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
                            His Pole is broken, maybe someone else?
                            Maybe he got his pole repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                              Maybe he got his pole repaired.
                              Is there a pole repair service?
                              a brain cell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse