Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

making a free wargame engine (making the same circle again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a free wargame engine (making the same circle again)

It will be discussed many times, but worth to ask:

how many programmers are in the forum, how much work could you put in a free wargame engine in this year, and which prog language do you prefer.
    The project needs:

programmer: 3-4 ++
    graphic designer: 1-2
    military advisor/statistical expert: 1-2 (we have many I think)
    tester: 2-5 ++

The style should be a TOAW style game...

My preferences: visual basic, and I would put 2 days per month, and 5-6 hours per week for bug fixing...

Not much but the beginning...

Maybe we could start sponsoring this project by few bucks per month...

What do you think?
    a brain cell

Matrix Games had grown up by buying one old engine and improving it. See SPWaW. Maybe Norm would sell his engine .

I wrote a strategy game myself would you like to buy the engine? It was without AI and it was written in C for DOS in 1995...

I can send it zipped in an e-mail I hope you will not have problems with Hungarian...

Artur.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

Comment

Turning the discussion to a more serious direction...

I really wrote a Strategy program as my diploma work in 1995-96. It was on a scale between Civilization and TOAW. It had cities, resources and units quite similar to TOAW with railroads and air attacks and mixed units terrain effects, alliances etc. etc.

I started a game engine in JAVA (SWING library) in 1998. I think It strted well but I did not have the motivation to go on with it.

What I experienced during my work is.

The BAD things.
      1. Developing a game, especially a strategy game is AWFULLY lot of work.
      2. One should never start doing it alone.
      3. Unfortunately and very sadly today is the time of the 3D wonder games and I fear it is not prophitable to make a hardcore strategy game
      4. I have never programmed AI but it will not be easy I am sure.

The Good things.
      1.Nowdays you can organize a team which has its members all over the world. You need 3 things to keep them together.
      a. Good internet connection (and a big (e-)mailbox )
      b. Good version control (I have real good experience with CVS.) for managing the code.
      c. A good chat tool for the "meetings"
      2. It is great when it is done
      3. Sorry no more...

Neutral things.
      1. If you want a serious game you have to may write it in C++ (I say it even though I like JAVA more) VB and JAVA may be also good for a free game but if you want something to come back the I suggest the C++.

(Laci egy tipp: LordActon egy igazi jo programozo keresd meg hatha vevo ra... A srac szinten magyar, remelem nem olvassa ezt a post-ot... )
      "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X