X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" novel

Hello,

Have anybody read this excellent novel?

I've just began to read this, and I have to admit this helps me to think of our future if our world is filled with robots capable of mimicking human intelligence.

Obviously, robotic technology hasn't come this far to match what Isaac Asimov imagined. Do you think we could ever build an intelligent robot?

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

depends on your definition of intelligence.
    Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
      depends on your definition of intelligence.
      Okay, to me, it is impossible to create an intelligent machine that will think for itself. After all, the programmers have to create a staggering number of choices and probabilities for a robot to make in any situation.

Sure, computers can calculate millions of problems in a second, but it can't decide which solution it wants to use for whatever reason. It has to depend on the programming code to give the best answer possible.

Basically, I feel the robots and computers are going to be G.I.G.O (Garbage in garbage out) intelligent for a while.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

what about a computer that asks questions and learns from the answers, wouldnt that be considered thought?
        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
          Okay, to me, it is impossible to create an intelligent machine that will think for itself. After all, the programmers have to create a staggering number of choices and probabilities for a robot to make in any situation.

Sure, computers can calculate millions of problems in a second, but it can't decide which solution it wants to use for whatever reason. It has to depend on the programming code to give the best answer possible.

Basically, I feel the robots and computers are going to be G.I.G.O (Garbage in garbage out) intelligent for a while.

Dan
          Back when the Robot books were written Asimov realised that conventional computing would not lead to his robots. Instead new materials that would allow learning computers would be required. Who knows, we may have those materials within 50 years. As for programming, they wouldn't be programmed, but taught. Of course the essence of the works are the laws of robotics and not the robots themselves.

Comment

what about a computer that asks questions and learns from the answers, wouldnt that be considered thought?
            But doesn't it rely on the software to decide which choice is best?

For example, suppose the computer is given two choices, A and B. It just can't say, "Okay, I don't like these choices, I'm going to make a new choice, and it's going to be mine." like what a human being would do.

That computer would be stuck with just two choices, and what's even worse is that both choices are coded into its programming language. Unlike computers, human beings can decide from hundreds of choices or take the best and worst of each choice to make a new choice.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

But doesn't it rely on the software to decide which choice is best?

For example, suppose the computer is given two choices, A and B. It just can't say, "Okay, I don't like these choices, I'm going to make a new choice, and it's going to be mine." like what a human being would do.

That computer would be stuck with just two choices, and what's even worse is that both choices are coded into its programming language. Unlike computers, human beings can decide from hundreds of choices or take the best and worst of each choice to make a new choice.

Dan
              it could ask another question that could help it consider the options

Comment

it could ask another question that could help it consider the options
                Sure! And where would this question come from? That's right, the programming code.

Anyway, I think the best bet would be to integrate biochemistry into robotic technology. The cells themselves can hold a lot of information, thousands of times more than a single hard drive could contain.

With advances in nanotechnology, this could also lead to new generations of more "intelligent" robots. But would this put the robots on par with human intelligence, somehow I doubt this, but who knows...

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

You're on the wrong track if you want Asimov's robots.

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John
                    You're on the wrong track if you want Asimov's robots.
                    Probably...but then I don't know anything about the current robotic technology.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Probably...but then I don't know anything about the current robotic technology.

Dan
                      Current robotic technology isn't really applicable because it truly is governed by the restrictions of coding that you were describing. There has to be a practical leap in self learning computers before we will see Asimovs robots, and that is not going to happen in the near future.

Comment

we need quantumn computers first...

...then a perpetual motion engine
                        Now listening too;
                        - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Sure! And where would this question come from? That's right, the programming code.

Anyway, I think the best bet would be to integrate biochemistry into robotic technology. The cells themselves can hold a lot of information, thousands of times more than a single hard drive could contain.

With advances in nanotechnology, this could also lead to new generations of more "intelligent" robots. But would this put the robots on par with human intelligence, somehow I doubt this, but who knows...

Dan
                          you sure you are not getting confused with philosophical arguments about the soul and god and ra ra ra?

Comment

you sure you are not getting confused with philosophical arguments about the soul and god and ra ra ra?
                            No, I'm not confused, it is just an interesting observation.

Why do you think I am confused?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

No, I'm not confused, it is just an interesting observation.

Why do you think I am confused?

Dan
                              we had a similar debate in a philosophy class once, theres a bit written on it and it connects god and soul to prospects of artificial intelligence becoming as smart as humans blah blah, you seem to think it is impossible and i knew you have religious 'convictions'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X