British SAS Want to Go to Iraq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British SAS Want to Go to Iraq?

This article claims SAS commandos are quitting their jobs in England to go to Iraq as private bodyguards to dygnitaries and such. In England they earn 25,000/year while in Iraq their wages exceed 200,000/year easy.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Sounds about right, its been happening here quite often also.
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Well, why not, gov't pays for learning your job and the other guy pays better for the work. Why spend $20.000 on a private bodyguard training if you can get it for free...
      Guess I would also act like these "deserters"...
      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
      returned to its home base."

Comment

THe SAS are overtrained for a security type roll. Most of it is boring stuff guarding oil installation and big shots in the oil and construction industry.

However the attraction of $800 per day is one huge incentive.

But once the US really pulls back these mercenaries ( the ex SAS are just a tiny fraction ) will be out on a limb with little backup and split up into squad like groups. Sure they could put up a fight if cornered but with limited ammo and nothing more than small arms for protection how long could they last in a really hostile enviroment?
        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Are they too trained to refuse a salary of 200,000 pounds per year?

Comment

CNN has showed a picture of two security contractors who had come to Iraq all the way from Fiji. They could be dead tomorrow or they could retire upon their return to Fiji in a year or so. Iraq is becomming big business featuring bounty hunter types from all over the world. This is good in the sense that with dozens of nationalities involved the extremists (who would like to focus all hate on USA) are probably becomming confused. Should Bin Laden declare Jihad on Fiji or not? On the other hand, is there any central command of the private firms or is it total Wild West?

Last edited by MonsterZero; 01 Apr 04, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
              .......is there any central command of the private firms or is it total Wild West?

At least they have good trigger disciplne....

Comment

C'mon Tim, I could do that finger thing too...I saw it on TV. I held semi-auto M-16 rifles at my friendly neighborhood gun dealer and adored them but never fired one
                Last edited by MonsterZero; 01 Apr 04, 23:56.

Comment

I think they are doing a search and destroy mission for the tailor who made those uniforms YUK!
                  Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

C'mon Tim, I could do that finger thing too...I saw it on TV. I held semi-auto M-16 rifles at my friendly neighborhood gun dealer and adored them but never fired one

I know I was being half saracstic...Funny thing is it is kinda something to be proud of, I've seen so many examples of bad trigger disciplne.

Comment

Bad trigger discipline?
                      Turn your safety on, might prove "safer"
                      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
                      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
                      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
                      returned to its home base."

Comment

Whats with the vests? are they going duck hunting?

The one at the back has bad helmet discipline too
                        Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
                          Whats with the vests? are they going duck hunting?

The one at the back has bad helmet discipline too
                          How about bad face discipline, look at that ugly mug

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

You guys need to work on your posting discipline. Get that mouse cursor away from the "Submit Reply" button until actually ready to submit.

Comment

On the other hand, is there any central command of the private firms or is it total Wild West?
                              According to The Economist, it's a total Wild West. The Iraqi authorities have no means to boss the mercenaries (lets call them what they really are) around, and while the CPA is actively encouraging them its not doing much to regulate them.
                              Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
                              Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
                              Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X