Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Where is Bush?"

From the New York Times website:

"There are a number of police stations in Falluja and a base of more than 4,000 marines nearby. But even while the two vehicles burned, sending plumes of inky smoke over the closed shops of the city, there were no ambulances, no fire engines and no security.
    Instead, Falluja's streets were thick with men and boys and chaos.

Boys with scarves over their faces hurled bricks into the burning vehicles. A group of men dragged one of the smoldering corpses into the street and ripped it apart. Someone then tied a chunk of flesh to a rock and tossed it over a telephone wire.

"Viva mujahadeen!" shouted Said Khalaf, a taxi driver. "Long live the resistance!"

Nearby, a boy no older than 10 put his foot on the head of a body and said: "Where is Bush? Let him come here and see this!"

Hearts and minds...it may be that many of these people have neither.
    And we are here as on a darkling plain
    Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
    Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Matthew Arnold

I saw the video and photos earlier today. They were very inflam-matory in nature. It is sad the situation in Iraq has deter-iorated to a point where this kind of behavior manifest itself, even on a small scale. I can't help, but feel I am partly responsible, as is everyone who supported the war.

I guess the right move is to focus on the majority of Iraqis. I don't think everyone in Iraq would support the actions of the mob in Fallujah today. We must believe all Iraqis are worthy of peace and stability, which most observers agree will require a rather strong American commitment. We have an obligation to the Iraqi people and the world in general, to do all we can to establish peace. Forcing our government to resolve this debt through unbiased, and unwaivering support should be our only option, no matter where that might lead.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Very well said - if you run for offices in LA - such common sense will go far
      Black & blue from the TOAW learning curve!

Comment

The US will be in a dilemma if this keeps happening.

In the old days (before TV) the obvious response would be to torch the town, kill all the people, and trust that the message would be understood throughout the land, eroding support and refuge for the perpetrators and those-in-spe.

Today, well, either you enforce total censoring and torch the place (Iraq), adapt to the bestialic behaviour by turning the other cheek and hope to win the hearts of the majority (long time scenario), or seriously consider leaving the place.

The western civilisation is ill-equipped to deal with this. The side with the most resolve will win. Does the US have what it takes against such people (and TV)? I doubt it. Again, I am not pro or against this war, but I see the US doing another Vietnam by not being credibile about its reasons for going to war and not being clear on its long-time resolve. Therefore, my principal and cynical stand on this is for the west to turn its back on the middle east and let them kill each other until they've had enough.
        "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
        "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X