Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal Defender of Saddam

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legal Defender of Saddam

    Mr. Verges has defended Gestapo's Barbie and Yugoslavia's Milosevic among other notorious characters. As one of his first moves he's expected to call American and European leaders of state to testify. Those will be the leaders who supported and encouraged Saddam's regime in the 1980s. The Westerners will refuse to testify of course but that's all part of the plan.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ney/index.html

    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

  • #2
    Originally posted by MonsterZero
    Mr. Verges has defended Gestapo's Barbie and Yugoslavia's Milosevic among other notorious characters. As one of his first moves he's expected to call American and European leaders of state to testify. Those will be the leaders who supported and encouraged Saddam's regime in the 1980s. The Westerners will refuse to testify of course but that's all part of the plan.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ney/index.html
    Why am I not surprised that a Frenchman wants to defend Saddam?

    To me, he's just using Saddam as a political platform to voice his disdain for America and her unilateral moves.

    Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

    "Aim small, miss small."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cheetah772
      Why am I not surprised that a Frenchman wants to defend Saddam?

      To me, he's just using Saddam as a political platform to voice his disdain for America and her unilateral moves.

      Dan
      you don't know who is Mr Verges. As Monsterzero shows it in his post, he like defend indefensible cases. He would have defend Hitler.
      LaPalice.
      Monsieur de La Palice est mort
      Mort devant Pavie.
      Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
      Il était encore en vie...

      Comment


      • #4
        The French lawyer was contacted by Saddam's family using private channels because they know he has experience defending undefensible people. There's no French conspiracy involved here.

        Well, well...the list of Saddam's former Western protectors would be quite impressive: Reagan, Thatcher, Kohl, Miterrand; lots of political celebrities. But the ever-outspoken Arab world would have to be included too; without a single exception. Iraq was their kamikaze sent against Iran to resist the spread of Khomeini's fundamentalism.
        Last edited by MonsterZero; 28 Mar 04, 13:40.

        "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

        Comment


        • #5
          Verges has links with the Arab secular movements (and he was a FLN sympathizer during the Algeria War). And he is the Tarek Aziz's defender too.

          LaPalice.
          Monsieur de La Palice est mort
          Mort devant Pavie.
          Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
          Il était encore en vie...

          Comment


          • #6
            Hold on a second, my list of Westerners implicated in Saddam's rise to power is missing some longtime boyfriends of Saddam:

            Boyfriend 1
            Boyfriend 2
            Boyfriend 3
            Last edited by MonsterZero; 28 Mar 04, 14:13.

            "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
            --Frederick II, King of Prussia

            Comment


            • #7
              Exactly how much is Mr Verges getting paid? Unfortunately I bet it is confidential. We will have to find something else to drool over. That rather large monetary sum alone could be a valuable weapon in the prosecutions hands.
              "the only reason tanks were effective during WWI was that the troops were too busy laughing to fight back"

              Comment


              • #8
                Technically, every government of the major powers of the world today, including the United States, could be tried as co-conspirators to Saddam's atrocities. We tolerated his regime for decades, going to the extent of justifying and supporting it. Saddam did little to really hide his crimes. We just didn't give a hoot. The only thing trying Saddam will prove is that it is okay for leaders to rape, torture, imprison, and kill at will as long as it does not **** off the major powers of the world who control the definition of the word humane, and which government receives that classification.

                It will be interesting to see what strategy Saddam Hussein and his defense team will devise. I don't think his mentality will allow Verges to lead. Saddam thinks he is smarter than everyone and claims to have studied law in Cairo, although there is no record of this.

                The trial could be go real bad for the US opinion wise. Saddam will almost certainly base his defense on conspiracy. He can successfully argue his attacks against the Kurds since 1990 was counter-terrorism as he fought against American backed terrorists. Remember, it is public record that we spent at least $1 billion per year to finance efforts to topple or kill Saddam.

                We'll need to make sure the trial doesn't become a circus. Otherwise, it could prove very embarrassing for the west. I don't think anyone wants Saddam to air out all the dirty laundry. We thought the UN debate got ugly. It won't have anything on the blame game that would follow some of the release of some of the information Saddam likely has.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

                Comment


                • #9
                  Since Tony Blair shakes hands with Moammar Khadaffi these days, and Pinochet could be prosecuted, Mugabe not arrested but being kissed by Chirac (?if I remember correctly), well, isn't the whole concept of international law just too ridiculous to be taken seriously?

                  International law, anything in mode goes.
                  "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
                  "Hey, you just made that rule up."


                  Heil Dicke Bertha!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Deltapooh
                    Technically, every government of the major powers of the world today, including the United States, could be tried as co-conspirators to Saddam's atrocities. We tolerated his regime for decades, going to the extent of justifying and supporting it. Saddam did little to really hide his crimes. We just didn't give a hoot. The only thing trying Saddam will prove is that it is okay for leaders to rape, torture, imprison, and kill at will as long as it does not **** off the major powers of the world who control the definition of the word humane, and which government receives that classification.
                    However, using that type of stratagy would force the defense to admit the atrocities, which of themselves would result in almost certain life imprisonment/ death (which depends on weather the Iraqis allow the death penalty). Of course then the prosecution would argue that the US invaded Iraq to stop the atrocities. It will be a very interesting trial, but I would not bet on Saddam ever becoming a free man again.
                    Last edited by fulcrum7; 28 Mar 04, 15:46.
                    "the only reason tanks were effective during WWI was that the troops were too busy laughing to fight back"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I really need to learn how that quote mechanism works.How does it work?
                      "the only reason tanks were effective during WWI was that the troops were too busy laughing to fight back"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fulcrum7
                        Exactly how much is Mr Verges getting paid? Unfortunately I bet it is confidential. We will have to find something else to drool over. That rather large monetary sum alone could be a valuable weapon in the prosecutions hands.
                        Unfortunately he'll be paid with money stolen from Iraqi taxpayers & companies by the Hussein family and deposited in some bank. We cannot believe that any of the Hussein family members has actually earned the money. Since they stole the money in the first place, they can be expected to be generous. Easy come, easy go.
                        Last edited by MonsterZero; 28 Mar 04, 16:14.

                        "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fulcrum7
                          I really need to learn how that quote mechanism works.How does it work?
                          Hit the quote button in the message you chose (you did that)

                          When editing, be sure to have the straight parenthesis around
                          initially
                          quote=THE_QUOTED followed by the intact quote

                          Then be sure the intact quote is ended by straight parenthesis with a backslashQUOTE(no name) therein.

                          If you edit the last "end quote" will often disappear. You can add it with a button far to the top right on your edit menu in the message or add it manually:

                          The straight parenthesis on my computer is ALTgr+parenthesis

                          Hope it helps
                          "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
                          "Hey, you just made that rule up."


                          Heil Dicke Bertha!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What a shame to have a country with so much potential wasted on a dictator.
                            "the only reason tanks were effective during WWI was that the troops were too busy laughing to fight back"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you very much. I have much to learn. I should be a pro in about 2 weeks (I hope!)
                              "the only reason tanks were effective during WWI was that the troops were too busy laughing to fight back"

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X