20th Century's Greatest Killers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Century's Greatest Killers

Neat, well-researched and organized website project. In addition to the most deadly dictators there are pages dedicated to the greatest heroes.

http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/killers.htm

P.S. Even before I was done reading the first couple pages the Australian server stopped responding. Let me know if you can see anything.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 24 Mar 04, 13:18.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

....looked at it, it's hero section includes Che Guevara, Ho Chi Minh and some other revolutionaries...

Well, the taste is like the behind, divided (yeah I know that's Swedish language not English )...
    "You can't change the rules in the middle of the game."
    "Hey, you just made that rule up."

Heil Dicke Bertha!

Comment

Originally posted by Killers of the 20th Century
      Every United States president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt, with the possible exception of Jimmy Carter, is a potential candidate for inclusion in the killer files on this site.
      Did you miss this quote, from the site MonsterZero?

Comment

I did miss that quote because there was no pictures of US presidents in the gallery.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
          Did you miss this quote, from the site MonsterZero?

OH NO! we couldnt let this happen, US Presidents are freedom loving saints!
          Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin
            OH NO! we couldnt let this happen, US Presidents are freedom loving saints!

Whatever.

Comment

I did not have time to read all the files. But I do read carefully on his comments and quotes on Mao Zedong. The information is surprisingly accurate and candid. The author, thus, I guess, is a serious scholar and trustworthy. I will take some time to finish the rest
              Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Crap site, very inaccurate.

There is a site which compares the killing stats that all major research books and papers give the various offerenders. If you are interested in this number stuff you should look it up. If you cannot find the site I can look it up. Somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf

There is a site which compares the killing stats that all major research books and papers give the various offerenders. If you are interested in this number stuff you should look it up. If you cannot find the site I can look it up. Somewhere...

blah

anyway, its still good reading! heheh
                  French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Interesting... would you please point out his major flaws? I mean, just give us a couple of examples of his inaccuracy.. so that I have an idea how much I should adjust my "trust" on this person
                    Thx

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

Do you know the saying "for every complex question in the world, there is a simple, short, logical, easy to understand - and wrong - answer"?

Are you familiar with over-streamlined presentations like in the recent MS powerpoint bashing, e.g. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/ma...3a7f5&ei=5070?

First of all, my choice of word was poor, this site is certainly deserved better than "crap", because there is much worse out there.

However, the site is guilty of giving single flashing, simple, short, logical, easy to understand answer. But it gives these answer by flattening out all the ambiguities, all the ongoing research and all the difficulties in coming up with these numbers.

As far as I can see from a quick glance, only the number for Hitler has a reasonable foundation to be condensed into a simple number like given on that site.

But right the moment you move on to Stalin, the simple-number scheme gets disgustingly oversimplifying. I will dig out the link to that research summary site I mentioned in a moment, but it is a complicated process to assess what Stalin did and how many he killed. Millions starved to death in the second world war. This site correctly associates many of these deaths with the Germans who attacked them. However, the total number of people dying under Stalin is several time of that. If people starve to death in WW2, how do you separate out who was set up by the Germans so that they couldn't be saved, who could have easily been saved but was decided against and who has even deliberately starved to death?

The numbers being tossed around for Stalin's victims are an order of magnitude too complex to be condensed into a simple number the way this site does.

There are also other technical problems, e.g. prisoners of war not returned, who do you say killed them? Usually the captor, but I don't see them. And what do you do with Soviet prisoners captured, then freed but sent to the Gulag to die?

Comment

Here is the site I was talking about:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

You'll see that it is just impossible to condense this into one number per evil leader.

Again, trying to do this condensation doesn't justify my word "crap", but it makes the site unrecommended reading which in the end is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero
                          Neat, well-researched and organized website project. In addition to the most deadly dictators there are pages dedicated to the greatest heroes.

http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/killers.htm

P.S. Even before I was done reading the first couple pages the Australian server stopped responding. Let me know if you can see anything.
                          Cool site, thanks.

Goblin
                          Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles and Das Reich Design Team Member
                          DAS REICH CAMPAIGN, and THE SPWaW ICON GUIDE AVAILABLE AT: The SP:WaW Depot
                          In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.

Comment

Here is the site I was talking about:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

You'll see that it is just impossible to condense this into one number per evil leader.

Again, trying to do this condensation doesn't justify my word "crap", but it makes the site unrecommended reading which in the end is the same.
                            Good points, well taken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X