Classic Stealmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Stealmate

The Pakistani army fighting the encircled Al-Quaida near Wana is throwing all but the kitchen sink at the defenders but can't make much progress. The defenders hold the high ground.

It is interesting how the factor of the high ground hasn't changed since the Roman Empire. All the marvelous technology and flying machines in the world can't get to people who hold high ground. Eventualy they will go crazy from the bombardment but many, perhaps most, will survive the fire and the steel.

Now, if you hang out with some really smart military academy professor, what modern tactics may he recommend for taking defended high ground? I assume an American strategist will keep it simple and send a C-130 with a Mother Bomb to create an earthquake. But not everybody has mother bombs.
    Last edited by MonsterZero; 20 Mar 04, 00:52.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Yes, but this seige won't last for much longer. Unlike Roman times, modern weapons need a lot of logistics to continue. Even though Qaeda is fighting with discipline, the lack of supply will eventually begin to take a toll and they will be forced back. Artillery will also hurt.
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

Comment

The Pakistani army is well versed n counter-insurgency warfare, epsecially with their experience from the 1999-2000 Kargil conflict. (Tiger Hill anyone? ). However, they tend to the ones supporting the insurgents, rather than fighting them...

Musharref will keep them contained, but if he wipes them out/ captures them, he risks losing control of the Country. He teeters as it is.

Besides, ther cricket team is going badly - Pakistani national psyche needs a win.
      Now listening too;
      - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Al-Qaeda is a very well-trained force, particularly in the art of small arms tactics. They understand CQC, urban, mountain, and guerilla warfare. One reason why the US is reluctant to support reports that the resistance is linked to an effort to protect a high-priority invidividual is because we've learned they fight like hell under any circumstance. While they don't respect codes I believe modern warriors should, it doesn't mean they are a bunch of dumb-*sses with a gun and a bible.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
          While they don't respect codes I believe modern warriors should, it doesn't mean they are a bunch of dumb-*sses with a gun and a bible.
          No, that's the Alabama National Guard (sorry, I couldnt resist )

I like how these reports paint the picture that this is the final stand of Al-Qaeda...just like Hue was the final stand of the North Vietnamese...Al-Qaeda is outgunned conventionally, but they don't need to win conventionally either.

I doubt this can be won with force alone.

btw; how likely do you think it is for Al-Qaeda supporters within the Pakistani military to exert control over these operations?
          Now listening too;

Comment

newest rumors say that instead on AlQaeda fighters the pakistani army has encirceled a chechnya or usbek extremist leader (all intercepted transmissions were in chechnya or usbek), so maybe there is no AlQaeda member at all involved.
            "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

Ruslan Galeyev if he's Chechen - Khattab even.
              Now listening too;

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X