Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Patrick's Day

undefined
    Happy St Patrick's Day to all WarfareHQ members!

http://www.eforu.com/cards/st._patrick's_day/

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh! = St. Patrick's Day blessing be upon you!
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Corned beef, cabbage, and Guinness tonight...gastrointestinally derived WMD's tomorrow...

Best wishes to all the people, as well as to the non-Irish...
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Ah a good day it is. Taking a half day and seeing one of my favorite bands in concerte tonight Flogging Molly
      "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by JAMiAM
        Corned beef, cabbage, and Guinness tonight
        OH YEAH!!!!

Originally posted by JAMiAM
        ...gastrointestinally derived WMD's tomorrow...
        oh.........yeah
        Happy St. Paddy day.

Comment

Joyeuse Saint Patrick, the Irishmen

Der WanderEire
          The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
          JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
          The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Should be a happy day...

a brain cell

Comment

@ Wolf Tone

Whenever we have our St. Patrick's day celebration here in Denver there are always Scottish bagpipers playing. What is the connection between Ireland and Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                @ Wolf Tone

Whenever we have our St. Patrick's day celebration here in Denver there are always Scottish bagpipers playing. What is the connection between Ireland and Scotland?
                Ireland and Scotland go back a long way. Irish Gaelic and Scots Gaelic are closley related and indeed there has been links across the channel seperating the two countries going back to the 5th century. The 'Scots' were originally an Irish people who crossed over to Scotland around that time under Fergus Mor ''Big Fergus'', and put down roots. One of his descendants, Kenneth McAlpine, King of the Scots, in 843 gained Pictland and more or less established 'Scotland' as a national identity.
                In the middle ages Scottish mercenaries came to Ireland, the ''Gallowglass'', armed with great swords and body armour, and put down roots. A more darker side came when Protestant lowlanders were brought in by the English to occupy Gaelic Ulster from say C 1610.
                In the 19th Century there was a return pop. transfer when many Catholic Irish headed to Glasgow and other industrial towns seeking work in the factories there. Hence Celtic football club and its great rivalry with Rangers, which even today can turn nasty. ( Let alone the North!)
                In relation to bagpipes the major difference is that Scottish bagpipes are played by a mixture of mouth and finger application, while Irish pipes are purely worked by hand.

Comment

Erin Go Bragh.

Sinn Fein.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day from New Eire to Eire!
                  Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
                  -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
                  -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                    In relation to bagpipes the major difference is that Scottish bagpipes are played by a mixture of mouth and finger application, while Irish pipes are purely worked by hand.
                    OK thanks Wolfe Tone, I didn't realize that the Irish played the bagpipes, I always associated the bagpipes with Scotland. Tell me something Wolfe Tone do the both types of pipes sound the same or do they sound different?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                      OK thanks Wolfe Tone, I didn't realize that the Irish played the bagpipes, I always associated the bagpipes with Scotland. Tell me something Wolfe Tone do the both types of pipes sound the same or do they sound different?
                      Irish Pipes, known as Uileen Pipes, do sound different all right. I'm not an expert but I think the Irish ones are played at a faster tempo and have a different pitch for sure. Also they are solo instruments while Scotish bagpipes can be played by many players at the same time. Though it would be the case that the best players in Scotland would frown on that sort of thing.

Comment

A day late but Happy St Pat's day everyone!
                        -----------------------------------
                        Sings we a song of wolves.
                        Who smells fear and slays the coward.
                        Sings we a song of man.
                        Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                          Irish Pipes, known as Uileen Pipes, do sound different all right. I'm not an expert but I think the Irish ones are played at a faster tempo and have a different pitch for sure. Also they are solo instruments while Scotish bagpipes can be played by many players at the same time. Though it would be the case that the best players in Scotland would frown on that sort of thing.
                          And the difference I know while the irish bagpipe can be (how do I say) "re-tune" the scottish ones are fixed...
                          a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
                            Ah a good day it is. Taking a half day and seeing one of my favorite bands in concerte tonight Flogging Molly
                            floggin molly eh, ive seen em 3times till now. great shows. and usually one big stagedive fest, injuries among them, including me. [i fell on my side after not being caught properly. limped to the beer stand. drank a few limped back and jumped again]

btw, does their singer, dave king still have his stupid beard? he looked like a bum when he was here in ehhhhhh december.
                            Last edited by screamer; 18 Mar 04, 16:21.
                            French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Originally posted by screamer
                              floggin molly eh, ive seen em 3times till now. great shows. and usually one big stagedive fest, injuries among them, including me. [i fell on my side after not being caught properly. limped to the beer stand. drank a few limped back and jumped again]

btw, does their singer, dave king still have his stupid beard? he looked like a bum when he was here in ehhhhhh december.
                              It was a good show, only injury I saw was some skins who wanted to talk crap, bad idea at that show.
                              "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X