Spammers an endangered species?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammers an endangered species?

It was announced that several ISPs, including Microsoft, AOL, Eartlink and Yahoo, have launched lawsuits against some of the most notorious large scale spammers. Using the new "can spam" laws, it would appear that these companies are taking a scorched earth policy concerning spammers.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/10/sp....ap/index.html

The majority of SPAM comes from outside the US or through highjacked connections. Lawsuit will have little impact.

We are at over 50% of incoming email to our mail servers is junk....
    "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McBride
      The majority of SPAM comes from outside the US or through highjacked connections. Lawsuit will have little impact.

True, but anything helps. I have to confess that I don't have too much of a problem with spam as I only give out my "real" e-mail to people I know - the rest gets dumped in a hotmail account.
      "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
        It was announced that several ISPs, including Microsoft, AOL, Eartlink and Yahoo, have launched lawsuits against some of the most notorious large scale spammers. Using the new "can spam" laws, it would appear that these companies are taking a scorched earth policy concerning spammers.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/10/sp....ap/index.html
        The major ISPs should not be allowed to sue for a problem they helped create. Up until about a year all the major ISPs, BellSouth, Southwestern Bell, AOL, Earthlink reserved the right to sell email addresses in their terms and conditions.

In a newsletter about two weeks ago, my ISP spoke of software being developed that focused on an universal email server process that could end the spam problem. However, he also said it was two years away from introduction.

They also had the same opinion as you when it came to laws and lawsuits to stop spam.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

If pooh is correct about major ISPs selling email addresses lots of people could launch class-action suits and damage those ISPs is the same way big tobacco was damaged.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I was under the impression they were going after the benificaries of the spam, who are located in the US and western countries where the laws are effective.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X