William Gates vs. the European Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Gates vs. the European Union

The European Union is poised to confront and punish Microsoft for alleged trust practices forbidden by EU laws.

The American effort to nail MS seems to have floundered when the global dotcom bust damaged, discouraged or eliminated many of the outspoken opponents of the Redmond giant.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/14/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

our effort would probably sink too...........................................
    French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Hello,

I think Microsoft is going to laugh it off. Sure, it would lose a lot of money, but it can still crunch out more software to make up the losses. Besides, with nearly 70 to 80 percent of the world's market, who could really compete with Microsoft?

I like Windows, it suits me just fine. Even if Microsoft went down, I wouldn't dream of buying another strange operating system that I've not known for most of my life.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
        Hello,

I think Microsoft is going to laugh it off. Sure, it would lose a lot of money, but it can still crunch out more software to make up the losses. Besides, with nearly 70 to 80 percent of the world's market, who could really compete with Microsoft?

I like Windows, it suits me just fine. Even if Microsoft went down, I wouldn't dream of buying another strange operating system that I've not known for most of my life.

Dan
        Dan

What have occurd to BELL some years ago and to Standard oil beginning of preceding century ???

Is there not a law about over dominant companies in USA ???

Der WanderCompetitor
        The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
        JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
        The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Originally posted by jlbetin
          Dan

What have occurd to BELL some years ago and to Standard oil beginning of preceding century ???

Is there not a law about over dominant companies in USA ???

Der WanderCompetitor
          Yes...but, Microsoft and the other corporate behemoths are doing their damnedest to rewrite those laws, elect administrations that will not actively enforce them, and to grab all the power they can, before the public wakes up to the dangers therein...
          I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Well I wish the EU luck on this, maybe they can accomplish what so many have failed at before.

Comment

Microsoft has already been found guilty of violating the Sherman Antitrust Act.

"The Court concludes that Microsoft maintained its monopoly power by anti-competitive means and attempted to monopolize the Web browser market," declared Jackson in his "findings of law." "Microsoft placed an oppressive thumb on the scale of competitive fortune, thereby effectively guaranteeing its continued dominance in the relevant market. More broadly, Microsoft's anti-competitive actions trammeled the competitive process through which the computer software industry generally stimulates innovation and conduces to the optimum benefit of consumers."

http://dir.salon.com/tech/feature/20...ing/index.html
              "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

The EU accomplishing something that the U.S. hasn't? Hah!

I doubt it.
                Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
                -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
                -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

Originally posted by Cortez
                  The EU accomplishing something that the U.S. hasn't? Hah!

I doubt it.
                  It is exactly this attitude that makes so many Europeans feel anti-American even when they have no spcecific problems with the US.
                  "Teamwork is essential - it gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at"

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf
                    It is exactly this attitude that makes so many Europeans feel anti-American even when they have no spcecific problems with the US.
                    You don't need to be European to see that it is offensive.

Comment

Wolf,

The truth hurts.
                      Furthermore, they had calculated that if 25,000 of them died for every one of us, they would finish us first, for they were many and we were but few.
                      -Hernan Cortez

The Pacific is our ocean. The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. That power is and will forever be the American Republic.
                      -Senator Albert J. Beveridge, 56th Congress

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X