Rugged Islands in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged Islands in Canada?

Hey, if I wanted to visit some rugged Canadian island of rocky, dramatic terrain, impressive wildlife and flora, wild seas and sparse human population that doesn't get in the way where should I go? I'v bee contemplating Iceland as soon as time and money permit but looking at the map, Canada is worth exploring too. What is Nova Scotia like?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Although most of Nova Scotia is a peninsula, Cape Breton Island is a scenic drive with a few breathtaking views... but..

I'd recommend the other coast though, and take your adventure to the Queen Charlotte Islands.

They meet your requirements of "sparcely populated, dramatic terrain, wildlife and flora and wild seas." The landscape varies and is absolutely breathe-taking

The Queen Charlottes are accessable by ferry or plane. A plane might be an expensive option. The ferry from Prince Rupert takes about 5 hours on a calm day although I've personally experienced an 11 hour trip in rough waters. That was winter though..

The larger north island, Graham, is scattered with a few small towns. Massett, an ex Canadian Forces installation, on the northside of the North Island. If you like Halibut, Port Clements - midway on the north island - has the a pub, the name escapes me but it should be the only one in the small town, with the best halibut dish I've ever had.

The south island, Moresbyfor the most part, is a National Park with few roads and one small town with the principle airport.

I could go on and on... it's certainly worth checking in to.

Hope that helps
    Take care and good luck
    Jason Petho
    Last edited by Jason Petho; 12 Mar 04, 13:12.
    Petho Cartography

Campaign Series Legion

NEW RELEASE!
    Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985

Comment

Being somewhat biased from having lived in Nova Scotia for 11 years, I truly consider it to be the land that God himself has blessed. It's where I plan on retiring.
      Although not as rugged as Newfoundland, Nova scotia has a charm all it's own.
      About a half a mile from Peggy's Cove you can see the memorial to Swissair flight 111. Just to the side of the memorial there is a field of sunbleached rocks; looks an awful lot like headstones. Very eerie.
      Lunenburg has some of the finest dining establishments on the continent; especially if you like seafood.
      The piece de resistance of Nova Scotia however, has to be the Cape Breton highlands. There's a touring road completely surrounding the highlands that many have compared to a piece of Scotland.
      As for the people, you won't find any friendlier(Newfoundland is also up there on the scale). International flights heading to North America were diverted mostly to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and over 35 000 travellers were warmly welcomed into homes all across the Maritimes; resulting in many lifelong friendships and promises on the part of many people to return to God's country.

If you take a trip there, rest assured that it's a trip well worth the money and time.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Charlotte Islands, Charlotte Islands, yes! Accessible only by ferry! Thanks, Jason. That's just south of Alaska too, I would definitely check out Alaska in the same trip.

Here's a tough question though: a rented car ride from Vancouver to Prince Rupert-is that practical? How long would it take? When I'm on an exploration trip I'm not a big fan of planes because you experience so little (most often you experience only the fat guy next to you).

As an alternative, can I take a boat from Vancouver Island area to Prince Rupert or its general area?

Last edited by MonsterZero; 12 Mar 04, 13:10.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
        --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

If you plan to go, I also highly recommend the road trip from Prince Rupert - where you'd catch the ferry to the Queen Charlottes - to Hyder, Alaska. While in Hyder reserve a room and get "Hyderized".

The drive takes about 4-6 hours, depending on how you drive and is paved all the way through if you take Highway 37N (Prince Rupert - Terrace - Kitwanga - Stewart and a rocks throw from Stewart is Hyder). The Terrace - Prince Rupert highway is by far the most scenic drive in Canada. Makes the Rockies looks like childs play.

If you drive past Hyder you'll find a glacier or two to explore.

And, since you're in Northern British Columbia things are fairly inexpensive.

Hope that helps
          Take care and good luck
          Jason Petho
          Petho Cartography

Campaign Series Legion

NEW RELEASE!
          Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X