Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb 14 years old kids to vote?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dumb 14 years old kids to vote?

    Hello,

    When I surfed the Internet for a while, I came across this article which was quite baffling to begin with. How could Democrats be dumb like this? What the hell were they really thinking about?

    Are Californian liberals always this dumb?

    I know this has no chance of passing, but did it have to be proposed at all?

    I nearly fell out of my chair when reading this article...it is just so funny to start with...

    You sure know how to entertain a Republican like me...

    Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

    "Aim small, miss small."

  • #2
    I think the ideal of the proposal was to introduce a new class of voters that is closer to Bush's thinking level. Of such a policy might be offensive to today's youth. Maybe we should just lower the level to around 5 or 6. That way Bush can finally invade Sesame Street to take out Bert and Ernie for cooperating with Al-Qaeda terrorists. He could also visit 1st graders to convince them the Tele-Tubbies are gay and thus should be banned from appearing on television.

    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

    Comment


    • #3
      Definitively a bad idea, better even increase the voting age to 21.
      Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
      soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

      Comment


      • #4
        Dumb 14 years old kids to vote?
        Hello Kettle, meet Pot.
        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

        – Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think this whole concept is kinda stupid. I think there just two ways: either you give them a full vote (probably a bad idea regarding the political interest of most of the world's teenagers) or you should wait till they are called an adult.
          "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
          which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
          The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
          returned to its home base."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hydrou
            Definitively a bad idea, better even increase the voting age to 21.
            Do you support children being prosecuted and sentenced as an adult? The US has executed individuals convicted of crimes they committed as minors. If a twelve year old is mature enough to face life in prison, one can argue they are mature enough to vote, among other things.

            I do support the logic of the proposal. Children should be become familiar with the democratic process and the power the vote provides as early as possible. When I was in school, Election Day for our nation's President, was little more than a holiday. Schools should hold elections. While the results should have no effect on the outcome of the election, the media should pay attention to it to enhance the lessons which can be drawn from the process.
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Deltapooh
              I do support the logic of the proposal. Children should be become familiar with the democratic process and the power the vote provides as early as possible. When I was in school, Election Day for our nation's President, was little more than a holiday. Schools should hold elections. While the results should have no effect on the outcome of the election, the media should pay attention to it to enhance the lessons which can be drawn from the process.
              Surely you aren't suggesting practical training in democracy. It''ll be the thin edge of the wedge you know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Deltapooh
                I think the ideal of the proposal was to introduce a new class of voters that is closer to Bush's thinking level. Of such a policy might be offensive to today's youth. Maybe we should just lower the level to around 5 or 6. That way Bush can finally invade Sesame Street to take out Bert and Ernie for cooperating with Al-Qaeda terrorists. He could also visit 1st graders to convince them the Tele-Tubbies are gay and thus should be banned from appearing on television.

                We expect you rocket science analysis not cheap humor

                oops, maybe it was a rocket science analysis not humor
                a brain cell

                Comment


                • #9
                  One should be able to vote or drive cars, when he´s mature to do so. And in 99,9% of the population, there´s a reason, why people can drive cars or drink alcohol or smoke or go to casinos above a specific age. Usually, a person should be able to vote, when he knows what consequences his action will have and he´s more or less resistant to almost all kinds of influences by parents, teachers, media and so on. He should vote on his own will, not repeat he choices other made for him.
                  Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
                  soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Prester John
                    Surely you aren't suggesting practical training in democracy. It''ll be the thin edge of the wedge you know.
                    I don't believe we should develop a political education program where children are brainwashed. That would erode one of the most important elements of democracy, the right to choose. I would like to see children more take more of an interest in the world in general. In Junior High, our Social Studies teachers assigned us "current events" to work on. Later, in civics, our teacher took the class through trying an American President for crimes against the Constitution. Both encouraged insight and understanding without compromising the student's rights to agree or disagree on a specific issue.

                    The ideal is to provide children with an opportunity to expand their interest and knowledge. Whether it is debating who will be a better President, or the importance of international law, I feel it would be helpful in creating the kind of interest needed to help future generations use the tools available to them in a more responsible manner.

                    I do agree though that even the above suggestion can cause problems. First, you don't want to expose kids to the harsh reality of the world in grade school. Secondly, children are very impressionable. Any debate can mislead todays youth.

                    It's just a thought.
                    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Deltapooh
                      Do you support children being prosecuted and sentenced as an adult? The US has executed individuals convicted of crimes they committed as minors. If a twelve year old is mature enough to face life in prison, one can argue they are mature enough to vote, among other things.

                      I think that IS indeed a very important point if in the US a 8 year old can be found guilty of whatever crime then he should of course have the right to vote as the kid is seen responsible for his actions.

                      Well, as I said one way is continue the "supression" of the kids and the other is to give them a full vote (at least regarding the US's judical system)
                      "A platoon of Chinese tanks viciously attacked a Soviet harvester,
                      which was peacefully working a field near the Soviet-Chinese border.
                      The harvester returned fire and upon destroying the enemy
                      returned to its home base."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They would come out with X-treme Voting commercials, or somesuch.

                        Anyone who has ever read a forum dominated by kids of that age group would not want them voting.



                        "I think Guy #1 looks like a dill, I'm voting for Guy #2"

                        "Guy #2 is old, I'm voting for Guy #3, his commercial was AWESOME!!!"

                        "Guy #3 has a hot wife, me too."

                        "Yeah, she pwns and his daughter r0x0rz."


                        Goblin
                        Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles and Das Reich Design Team Member
                        DAS REICH CAMPAIGN, and THE SPWaW ICON GUIDE AVAILABLE AT: The SP:WaW Depot
                        In difficult ground, press on. In encircled ground, devise strategems. In death ground, fight.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Goblin
                          They would come out with X-treme Voting commercials, or somesuch.

                          Anyone who has ever read a forum dominated by kids of that age group would not want them voting.



                          "I think Guy #1 looks like a dill, I'm voting for Guy #2"

                          "Guy #2 is old, I'm voting for Guy #3, his commercial was AWESOME!!!"

                          "Guy #3 has a hot wife, me too."

                          "Yeah, she pwns and his daughter r0x0rz."


                          Goblin
                          I think most of the people vote like this, but they can make ideology behind it...
                          a brain cell

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            @laszlo: Are you sure about that? I don´t hope it will come to that situation sometimes. That would be the and of democracy and demogogic leaders could easily put their grasp at might. We´ve seen it several times before, but I hope it won´t happen again for a long time.
                            Maj. Reismann: "Kill every officer in sight!"
                            soldier: "Ours or theirs?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hydrou
                              @laszlo: Are you sure about that? I don´t hope it will come to that situation sometimes. That would be the and of democracy and demogogic leaders could easily put their grasp at might. We´ve seen it several times before, but I hope it won´t happen again for a long time.
                              I live in Budapest, but my birthplace is in the countryside. Budapest is highly political city, but the country side is a very different place, and 80% of the population are living in the countryside...

                              I think in our modern telecommunication age, most of the people living a very simple life. There are lot of people who only see series, reality tvs, etc...
                              They are subject to demagogy, and the leaders are using it...
                              a brain cell

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X